Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Depends, is the 200M the total R&D budget or just what HP is throwing into the mix along side whatever Palm's existing R&D budget is?
    Hi, all,

I do not know if it is a case of wishful thinking. However, I took it that it is an additional $200 million. After all, if they want webOS to work on printers and on a slate computer, they will need to have the software adapted and customized. That takes $! The money will speed up products in Palm's pipeline, in addition to a slate and printer software of HP's!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think Jay is either an HP or Palm employee, because he always find the goodies to make us smile
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I think Jay is either an HP or Palm employee, because he always find the goodies to make us smile
    He needs to teach a course on tweaking an RSS reader. He's always finding the goodies!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I think they should change it to "Palms" because you can use the phone in either hand...
    I LOL'd
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Depends, is the 200M the total R&D budget or just what HP is throwing into the mix along side whatever Palm's existing R&D budget is?
    Before the Ruby era at Palm, they used to spend close to $200M on R&D annually. Supposedly that number has fallen off significantly in the past 2 years. Sounds like HP is trying to reinvigorate Palm's R&D activities (and help steer them away from future Foleo side tracks ).

Hopefully the HP injection in the OP's article is just a start. According to this All Things Digital article from May, HP needs to make some significant increases in Palm's operating budget:
    Quote Originally Posted by All Things Digital
    As Whitmore notes, “In reviewing Palm’s financials, Palm spends ~$500M annually in Opex (R&D and sales and marketing) to support the WebOS platform. Given the severe loss of market momentum behind WebOS, we believe it is reasonable to assume that HP will need to grow this investment by 50-100%, to approximately $750 million-$1.0 billion.”
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Hi, LOL, hahaha, you couldn't be further from the truth.....I was self employed from age 15 to age 38, we designed, installed and maintained Interior Plantscaping, on cruise ships office buildings and private homes. Our clients included, most of NYC 3 airports, the QEII & Seaborne cruise line. It was great, I was sent for free, to such far flung places as Russia, Japan, England, Spain, Ireland, central Amaerica.....

In 1988 I was very severely injured in an auto accident, which resulted in two spinal surgeries, one at each end of the spine.

Unfortunately, that caused me to sell the business and that was ions ago,
    (1991) ....I moved from NYC to Central FL, where I have been since. I am disabled due to severe pain, from an incomplete spinal fusion in my neck and Fibromyalgia, I no longer work....However, I do read a great deal, which is how I find out so much about Palm & HP!

Take care and thank you all, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12