1.    #1  
    I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I could not find any threads about this...

Is there a way to press one button while the lid is closed and have One-Touch mail check your accounts and download automatically?

It would be great to press the mail button and download my mail while my Treo is in my pocket as I am running to the train.

I use TreoButton to re-assign the mail button so I guess I am half way there.

Thanks for any help.
    You may be able to set some kind of scripting application to be key driven and go check your email using OneTouch but for the small investment, I suggest using Treo Mail Internet edition which has timers built into it for auto checking mail.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I use PowerJog to do this all the time. Assign your email program to a hardware button and then with PowerJog you can select menu, check mail and put it back in the holster while it finishes.

You'll need PowerJog (obviously) and an email program that has menu choices for checking email - not all of them do. I'm using Eudora which works great for this.

There is also a product called MacroPlay that can record and play back screen tap macros at predetermined times - great for auto email checking, morning hot syncs etc.

Both products can be found on PalmGear.com

Good Luck,

bostonGuy
    Originally posted by bostonguy
    I use PowerJog to do this all the time. Assign your email program to a hardware button and then with PowerJog you can select menu, check mail and put it back in the holster while it finishes.

You'll need PowerJog (obviously) and an email program that has menu choices for checking email - not all of them do. I'm using Eudora which works great for this.

There is also a product called MacroPlay that can record and play back screen tap macros at predetermined times - great for auto email checking, morning hot syncs etc.

Both products can be found on PalmGear.com

Good Luck,

bostonGuy
    BostonGuy ... I use PowerJOG with Eudora also, but i can't find a way to get from the list of retrieved messages into the first one without opening the lid. I end up opening the lid to get into the first message then I can use delete or other buttons to go through each message. Any tips?
  5.    #5  
    Thanks bostonguy!

I installed PowerJOG and it works with One-Touch mail with the lid closed.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Actually I probably misunderstood the question a bit. I don't actually READ the email with the lid closed just start the download process and re-holster the Treo while it finishes. When you have 30-40 emails to download not having to hold the Treo and monitor the progress is nice.

Once everything is downloaded I open the flip and use the stylus to read, delete, file, etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

-bostonGuy
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Wait a second, I just re-read the original post and the question WAS "how do I download email with the cover closed" so I didn't misunderstand his question.

(whew alzhiemer's is still a few years off)

-bostonGuy
    Originally posted by bostonguy
    Wait a second, I just re-read the original post and the question WAS "how do I download email with the cover closed" so I didn't misunderstand his question.

(whew alzhiemer's is still a few years off)

-bostonGuy
    Yes, but wouldn't it be great to actually read through the important messages without opening the lid unless you needed to type a reply? I guess that's a few years off also!

I'm thinking of trying out the other e-mail programs for this feature, even though I'm happy with Eudora overall.
    Electronic Pocket's Mailer can do this - if you assign it to a button, once you open the program, press the button again and it will do a send/receive.

Another good option for timed collection is Corsoft's Aileron. With that you can cycle through already downloaded messages using the application button - so actually you can read ALL your e-mail without opening the lid.

Hope that helps somewhat.
    its nice to see another Treo user in the same area, i live in Lexington. The only treo ive ever seen around here, is mine. You notice other people using them in the boston area? You will notice me, im a 15 year old with a 400 dollar toy
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I haven't seen any other Treo users in person - quite a few of my gadget friends are considering it but most want to wait for a Verizon version (if it ever comes) because Verizon service is so good around here.

I love mine and Voicestream has been good enough for me.

Good Luck with yours,

bostonGuy
    I saw a Treo user "in the wild" once. It was great! It was an instant bond.
    Try going to a PUG meeting sometime. ;-)

As for mail apps that let you read mail with the jog wheel, I'm currently on the beta team for SnapperMail, and have made such a request. The developer has also gotten a Treo so good Treo support is very likely to happen. I have no release info for you, but remember that name. It's going to make a BIG splash when it goes public. trust me.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  14.    #14  
    Great info guys, thanks.

Now if I can only get VoiceStream to fix the data call problems we have been having on the east coast I will be all set.