Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP's Senior Exec Sends a Message to WebOS Fans

By Theo Valich, The Bright Side of News*
    June 25, 2010 |
    ShareThis

Amid all the rumors concerning the future of HP's (NYSE: HPQ) acquisition of Palm (Nasdaq: PALM) and what will happen to WebOS, HP's Senior Exec Rahul Sood came out in his blog and tried to assure WebOS fans that everything is going to be alright.

While it is certain that the merger will take some time to fit with both companies, we're fairly certain that the R&D teams are already working together in producing a new generation of products. Palm now has [the money] to continue with the development of WebOS, while HP gained precious IP and patent portfolio that will even allow the company to stomp on companies that claim leadership with their own patents, such as the case of multi-touch.

HP's Rahul Sood, CTO of Gaming Divison came out on his blog with the following statement:

This message goes out to all fans of Web OS. Stop worrying and speculating. When the deal closes I'm sure you'll hear about lots of great things from HP, until then just know this... We all absolutely love it, we love using Web OS. It's simply fantastic. Instead of worrying you should think about developing Apps on it as soon as possible.

Have a great weekend!

Rahul Sood's Weblog
    Nice find. I also like his post titled, "My thoughts on H-Palm".
    Indeed, good find! I read farther down in his blog and found this.

On the software side I love Google Android the more I play with it, also love Apple's iPhone OS. ...but seriously, unless you have had the opportunity to try Web OS from Palm you have no idea how good it can get. Over the last few weeks I have been playing with a Palm Pre Plus and the software experience is like no other phone I have used.

WebOS offers some sick potential to the mobility space. What makes it straight awesome is the ability to load and unload applications with the flick of a finger. This way you can take multitasking to the next level. It's easy to remove memory resident programs, and it makes memory management effortless, you don't even realize you're saving battery life when you shut down an app.

Nevermind the multitasking, but my favorite part of WebOS is the way it automatically merges and manages all my contacts from Exchange to Gmail to Linkedin to Facebook. I don't have to do anything, it just works. What else? How about merging multiple calendars into one color coded calendar?? Amazing stuff.

So I'm excited about the potential that WebOS brings to the table. I loaded a few games on my Palm Pre Plus, which thanks to the hardware choice actually display as good as any dedicated handheld gaming device. In other words, with a few tweaks I think the potential for delivering a killer gaming experience on a WebOS based device could very well make Sony and Nintendo green with envy.

I think I like this guy. lol
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    That is awesome. It's a good thing that the CTO of the gaming business is a huge fan of webOS. If he isn't worried, I won't be either.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Hopefully the other execs at HP have this level of enthusiasm for webOS. If so I think we will see webOS really become a competitor to Android and maybe even iPhone.
  6.    #6  
    I forgot to add the link to the article that I quoted, where I learned about this blog:

HP's Senior Exec Sends a Message to WebOS Fans
    i hope they got Pre 2 out by holiday season. and I hope they make announcement by Jul 8th.
    Add in this simple fact: HP must be successful in the mobile space. It's as strategically important to them as anything else. So, the fact that Palm and webOS are this important to a company that sees what they do as strategic to their continued survival--I don't think we'll have much to worry about in terms of HP supporting our favorite platform.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think aftee the first all people who jumped ship are going to be bumming.
    I am laughing at everyone that has been doom and gloom since the HP buyout was announced.
    It's a sad day when we hear more from HP than Palm about the future and stability of WebOS's roadmap.
    all i can say is WOW!!
    I guess we still have a few doom and gloom people in here.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    It's "webOS," not "Web OS."

The later, which was used in the blog post, is a generic and may not necessarily mean what we all know and love on the Pre/Pixi.

Or maybe it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    It's a sad day when we hear more from HP than Palm about the future and stability of WebOS's roadmap.
    I don't really agree... Since the advent of webOS, Palm's been a company trying to compete in a market dominated by the likes of RIM, Apple, Google, Motorola, Microsoft, etc., on a shoestring budget. While I'm sure they'd have liked to have been far more aggressive in touting their roadmap, I think they just never had the financial resources necessary to make it happen.

HP, on the other hand, is a $120 billion company--the largest tech company in the world--and has the financial resources needed to take what Palm started to another level. After all is said and done, I just can't find it in myself to be disappointed with Palm for all that they've accomplished against such terrible odds.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16.    #16  
    vza33, in that blog post you referred to, did you happen to catch this part?--

The launch of the iPad also changes things, such devices makes reading books and magazines a joy, not to mention surfing the Internet. In fact, I am composing this blog on a tablet style device

I don't think it was an iPad he was referring to, or he would have said so.
    Jeez...people should be happy as hell to get some answers, why continue trying to find doom and gloom in everything??

Like it or not, HP is the one who will be calling the shots now.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    vza33, in that blog post you referred to, did you happen to catch this part?--

The launch of the iPad also changes things, such devices makes reading books and magazines a joy, not to mention surfing the Internet. In fact, I am composing this blog on a tablet style device

I don't think it was an iPad he was referring to, or he would have said so.
    such a tease!
    I just gleaned a little more info from Rahul's posts. First in the post vza33 pointed to he talks about meeting up with game devs and in a post he makes later about heading to E3 he talks about meeting with game devs about "future HP products". This definitely looks to me that HP is already trying get some app devs interested in making apps for webOS. Secondly, in the webOS post he made if you look at the comments section, in response to a commentators thoughts on the departure of Daurte he states: "Technically we're not supposed to talk about it until the deal is closed, but it should go without saying that HP is likely going to support Palm in a big way." This is very positive news to me.
    You understand that Palm is being acquired by HP, right? You understand the nature of the way things like this work, right?

Palm is unlikely to say anything about their future, because they don't control their future. HP does. Thus, HP is doing the talking.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast