Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    vza33, in that blog post you referred to, did you happen to catch this part?--

    The launch of the iPad also changes things, such devices makes reading books and magazines a joy, not to mention surfing the Internet. In fact, I am composing this blog on a tablet style device

    I don't think it was an iPad he was referring to, or he would have said so.
    haha, great find! webOS FTW!!!
  2. tsnum4's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    #22  
    I think this is exciting and encouraging.

    I don't think I have heard too many outright haters of our OS. In fact, I think most of us are major ******* of WebOS. The fact that we are also hearing this from HP and the fact that WebOS was one of the driving factors of the acquisition can only mean good things for us.

    I am glad that I am still with my Pre (launch day Sprint) and I will happily and patiently wait for our new hardware. It will be here soon. And if it isn't? I am still perfectly content to continue using the device I have.

    but I am hoping for "Christmas in July"
  3. tsnum4's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    #23  
    huh I didn't think that was a bad word ?? Perhaps I should have said 'fanatics'
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I think aftee the first all people who jumped ship are going to be bumming.
    Not at all dude. I jumped ship for the evo and i can tell you first
    Hand andriod sucks...apps are plenty..hardware is fantastic(wish the power button was on side of device and not the top) but i miss webos....and will dump the evo on palms new device as soon as it comes out...so i guess this makes me a troll
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    vza33, in that blog post you referred to, did you happen to catch this part?--

    The launch of the iPad also changes things, such devices makes reading books and magazines a joy, not to mention surfing the Internet. In fact, I am composing this blog on a tablet style device

    I don't think it was an iPad he was referring to, or he would have said so.
    Actually I missed that part, nice find as well.

    I got my excerp in this section: rahulsood: The Handheld Business is getting more interesting...
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    huh I didn't think that was a bad word ?? Perhaps I should have said 'fanatics'
    Not a bad word -- but sometimes a hot button word.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I don't really agree... Since the advent of webOS, Palm's been a company trying to compete in a market dominated by the likes of RIM, Apple, Google, Motorola, Microsoft, etc., on a shoestring budget. While I'm sure they'd have liked to have been far more aggressive in touting their roadmap, I think they just never had the financial resources necessary to make it happen.

    HP, on the other hand, is a $120 billion company--the largest tech company in the world--and has the financial resources needed to take what Palm started to another level. After all is said and done, I just can't find it in myself to be disappointed with Palm for all that they've accomplished against such terrible odds.
    agreed 100%.
    they did what they had to do to get their vision of an awesom OS out to market. Palm stumbling and HP buying the was the best thing that could have happened for webOS enthusiasts. The big difference with webis....its easy to fall in love with because it so elegant. Sounds like this guy already caught the love bug... And can't wait to tweak and make webos thrive! Awesome thread/ posts! Thank you for making my day!
  8. #28  
    Although a sign, this seams like just another letter, note or sighting to add to the rising pile! I don't think anything will be announced until the next CES, because Palm needs to make their product known to the world and not just geeks or loyalist. We are not talking Android devices here which come out often. I'll believe it when I see something tangible!
  9. #29  
    Thread of the year....just wow!
  10. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #30  
    CALM BEFORE STORM is all I can say.

    After the iPhone and Android news cools off, the tech world has nothing but wait for Palm to show their new gadgets.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    It's a sad day when we hear more from HP than Palm about the future and stability of WebOS's roadmap.
    Why? Palm is in the process of merging, they will be owned by HP and they most likely are not allowed to discuss anything until it's a signed and done deal. July I think we will hear more. Maybe end of july.
  12. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    CALM BEFORE STORM is all I can say.
    Storms over, now it's time to start shining that gem(webOS)
  13. #33  
    Nice find!
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  14. #34  
    Well hopefully that new hardware and WebOS 2.0 get announced soon and developers can start developing.

    His April post states
    In an ideal world, developers will now flock to Web OS for one reason which I can say in one word.... Opportunity.

    Literally thousands of apps are being developed for Apple and Google's ecosystem every week - and quite honestly they should think about getting in line NOW for Web OS. The opportunity for developers to create and self publish their titles on Palm's Web OS could go up exponentially.
    As it is, the ratio of Appible + Appbookshop + Dijit + Brighthouse apps compared to the rest of the apps is way too high, and I'm still disappointed in the number of quality, well-polished apps as well as the speed of the device. I'd really like to see some major changes here.
  15.    #35  
    The new apps in the app store the past few days are dozens of out of print books and sayings of dead people that some guys are selling for .50 or $1. I really wish those didn't count as apps, but were instead listed in a different place where you download e-books and the like. It's a pain to scroll through them. Maybe H-Palm, when it comes out with an ebook reader app, will create a separate place for those.

    In any event, it seems like all the main OS's, apple, android and webOS, are plagued with an equal percentage of low-quality apps. They all need to work hard on creating great apps that will drive demand for the device. The really good ones that exist now are pretty much available on all the platforms, except Apple has more of the good games, and WebOS is still lacking some key ones, such as Skype. The nice thing is, H-Palm is still in the game, and has a lot of resources behind it. I am looking forward to seeing what they do, and glad that we will begin hearing from them in July as soon as it closes.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    As it is, the ratio of Appible + Appbookshop + Dijit + Brighthouse apps compared to the rest of the apps is way too high, and I'm still disappointed in the number of quality, well-polished apps as well as the speed of the device. I'd really like to see some major changes here.
    The more apps you have the more crap you have. I do agree that there are some apps that are needed on a phone and platform that's pedigree comes from PIM/Business users. But this is a different world of apps than Palm OS was, love it or hate it, this is the world of having app count regardless of app quality (thanks Apple and Apple users).

    We do need quality apps, but this is no longer the day of anyone paying 20+ for an app. I have heard Astraware is developing for WebOS, they can release better quality of the same type of app on WebOS that they had on PalmOS the price better be $5 or lower (which is not what the PalmOS price was as recent as a year ago and probably still).

    All I am trying to say, is you are going to get garbage in the world of the "app cat." It is the same way on the fruit phone, they may have more apps that we want, but they also have more garbage apps than we do too. When you get quantity it goes both ways. Quick example then I end my rant, other than games you get 1 quality app for many types of uses say you rent from blockbuster/netflix or bank at BofA you probably get 1 app for each of those (maybe a couple for netflix but blockbuster or BofA you probably want an official app for)...... now say you like (or don't like) fart sounds, you will get 10+ fart sound apps because ANYONE can make them easily and for free.
  17. niegowsj's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #37  
    not sure this is the right thread but have you noticed HP is starting to develop their own apps. appscoop has at least three where the developer is listed as HP. that adds some excitement too.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    All I am trying to say, is you are going to get garbage in the world of the "app cat." It is the same way on the fruit phone, they may have more apps that we want, but they also have more garbage apps than we do too. When you get quantity it goes both ways. Quick example then I end my rant, other than games you get 1 quality app for many types of uses say you rent from blockbuster/netflix or bank at BofA you probably get 1 app for each of those (maybe a couple for netflix but blockbuster or BofA you probably want an official app for)...... now say you like (or don't like) fart sounds, you will get 10+ fart sound apps because ANYONE can make them easily and for free.
    Yes, that is very true. There's always going to be garbage. If the app catalog is going to be 25% garbage, and I hope that can change, I would like to see the app catalog be 10x the size of what it is now. At least that way there would be a greater number of good apps to choose from. If there was somebody comparing top 10 best iphone vs android vs webos apps week to week, I'm sure it would look pretty bad for WebOS because the numbers just aren't there. It's a shame Palm couldn't kick up the app numbers very high at all with the hot apps program and a million dollar prize. Still hoping for the best though.
  19. #39  
    that's not really HP...
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Yes, that is very true. There's always going to be garbage. If the app catalog is going to be 25% garbage, and I hope that can change, I would like to see the app catalog be 10x the size of what it is now. At least that way there would be a greater number of good apps to choose from. If there was somebody comparing top 10 best iphone vs android vs webos apps week to week, I'm sure it would look pretty bad for WebOS because the numbers just aren't there. It's a shame Palm couldn't kick up the app numbers very high at all with the hot apps program and a million dollar prize. Still hoping for the best though.
    The first hot apps contest was for SDK apps (these aren't the apps you are talking about wanting). Not that SDK apps aren't good, but they are the more "basic" apps because of the more basic development kit. If you put up the 10 best sdk apps up against the top 10 iphone apps in the same period of time, it wouldn't be a fair or proper competition.

    Now with the public release of the PDK, the upcoming update (for PDK content and more content available on Pixi), and the upcoming (starting July 1) PDK hot apps contest, I am hedging my bets that we will see some more of those iphone/android type apps you are wanting to see.

    Ohh and I would still argue the higher the app count, the higher percentage of "garbage" apps you will see. Taking your example of 25%, that would mean if the app cat were 10 times bigger (your example again). We would see 15,000ish good apps by your standards vs. only 5,000 of the garbage space wasting apps. If you add 20,000 apps to the catalog, my guess would be you would be luck to see a 50/50 split..... the bigger the catalog the more the companies who can churn out simple to make garbage that costs them very little to nothing will increase. They will do this because it's the whole profit margin game, if it costs nothing to make and you can use the same UI just copy and paste content (like the free books) you can sell 5 copies of 100 titles and have made $500 by designing one UI and using ctrl-c then ctrl-v. It's simple economics.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions