Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is interesting,

Don't know if this is up already. OMAP 4 and pico sounds good.

Texas Instruments Unveils Blaze Tablet for Developers

"Customers haven't been named, but the tablet may be suited to a customer like Palm, which has used TI OMAP3 chips in the Pre and Pre Plus. Its soon-to-be parent company HP has openly stated that it wants to make WebOS tablets"
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Nope, you're the only one. I'm interested in this and wonder if we can get a port going. But then it's only available for developers currently :<

Release is targeted for August =/ By then I'm hoping for a phone to be out first.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    Nope, you're the only one. I'm interested in this and wonder if we can get a port going. But then it's only available for developers currently :<

Release is targeted for August =/ By then I'm hoping for a phone to be out first.
    Well I assume it is a prototype and not ready for people to mass produce but I bet it has a good chance at becoming the next Palm Pad.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I hope so, would be incredible if they all the sudden showed amazing timing and just blasted the market the second the merger is done.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    to palm,

please do not name the tablet 'something' 'pad'

thanks
    in order for HP/Palm's tablet to catch on, it has to do one cool thing that the iPad doesnt...and i think that is video chat. Yes, we all know video chat is really not a HUGE deal, but if they show a commercial of two people with webOS tablets doing a video chat, the HP tablet will gain some buzz and popularity with the casuals.

and before you say flash and true multitasking and whatnot, those things dont matter to the casuals, but yes...obviously highlight those too.
    Of all the Operating systems , WEBOS would work the best and smoothest on a Pad. If I did get a pad I would definetly look at a WEB OS pad before anything else.
  8. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Well, it would work smoothly IF they get it to use a GPU for all the graphics. Otherwise the CPU is going to be wasting most of it's time drawing all those pixels.
    IMO it would be a good idea to use Palm Pilot in the name of the tablet. Maybe Palm Pilot HD or something than use "Pad". That way, you are implicitly saying "we are making a big version of what we revolutionized" instead of "me too, iPad". Besides, having a stylus with this tablet is an advantage for precision drawing/painting and for graffiti writing. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    to palm,

please do not name the tablet 'something' 'pad'

thanks
    At the risk of repeating SDash, Palm or HP should not use the word "Pad", but also any Palm fans should not use it. Let Apple keep to the sanitary napkins. We can use "Tablet" or "Slate", either one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    in order for HP/Palm's tablet to catch on, it has to do one cool thing that the iPad doesnt...and i think that is video chat.
    For me, THE killer feature would be wireless, automatic syncing of files whenever they came within range of each other (i.e. the slate entered my home network).

I would love this feature in a work tablet.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    This is interesting,

Don't know if this is up already. OMAP 4 and pico sounds good.

"Customers haven't been named, but the tablet may be suited to a customer like Palm, which has used TI OMAP3 chips in the Pre and Pre Plus. Its soon-to-be parent company HP has openly stated that it wants to make WebOS tablets"
    A tablet right now is a mistake. Palm has not perfected webOS right now on the smartphone. They should not start making other devices until they can perfect both the smartphone hardware and software.
    Quote Originally Posted by aberndotnet View Post
    IMO it would be a good idea to use Palm Pilot in the name of the tablet. Maybe Palm Pilot HD or something than use "Pad". That way, you are implicitly saying "we are making a big version of what we revolutionized" instead of "me too, iPad". Besides, having a stylus with this tablet is an advantage for precision drawing/painting and for graffiti writing. Just saying.
    Actually, it would be saying, "We are making a big version of what we got sued over more than a decade ago and promised to never use in a product name again."

Pilot Corporation, maker of Pilot pens, sued Palm shortly after the Palm Pilot came out on the basis of trademark infringement and dilution. HP isn't about to do that again, since it would certainly lose, and HP has much bigger bank accounts than did Palm at the time.
    will omap 4 be ready for, and shipping, in time for it to be included in the development, or will HP stick with the Atom, or more likely I think, move to the Qualcomm 1.2/1.5GHz dual cores, which are shipping NOW!Which they could include in the next palm phone, achieving a sort of iPhone 4, iPad parody!
    A tablet running webOS being released in the near future would be an awesome idea. Could you imagine a HP slate running webOS that could sync with your phone with a wireless connection plus you could share all of your applications running on all of your webOS powered devices. With a little more tweaking webOS will be ready for prime time (and yes HP has the engineers and resources to get the job done so that's not a argument), man does the future look exciting or what?
    Palm-lette
    H-Plette
    <no Pilot references, so...)
    BAPD (Big Phone Device)
    Tung-let
    WebOS-Lette
    OSLette (not to be confused with the cat-like creature... too Mac'ish)
    "The Clutch" (as in "Yo, gimme my Clutch back", "go get my Clutch"...)

and lastly...

The "Thank you people at H-Palm who made a device I can take with me wherever I go, with all my sync'ed data, phone, games, social networking ( ) schtuff, maybe a Sviss Army kinfe, and let's not forget the kitchen sink-type thing"... (Oops, I forgot to get SKYPE in there somewee, grumble, grumble)!

russ
    This is all assumptions and speculation.

Palm should and will stick the OMAP family so that compatibility is simple along with the fact that OMAP GPU > Snapdragon GPU.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    At the risk of repeating SDash, Palm or HP should not use the word "Pad", but also any Palm fans should not use it. Let Apple keep to the sanitary napkins. We can use "Tablet" or "Slate", either one.
    "HP Slate powered by WebOS" sounds just fine with me. Palm can continue its brand on smartphones (eg Palm Pre 2)
    I don't think that the Palm business unit will be doing the slate/tablet. The Slate that was shelved by HP is no doubt being reworked to run webOS.
    nice find from the OP.

here is a smaller tablet that I would buy...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast