Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    So it will be interesting to see what HPalm decides to do about people desire for the compass for certain features vs. the love of inductive charging.
    I'm thinking something like an on/off switch for compass functionality, kinda like GPS or the various patches for turning off different radios in the phone. Honestly, I'm not really sure what I'd use a compass for, besides apps (I'd love to have the one that can tell you what's around through the viewfinder on the camera). Really, I'd be happy to keep my Pre around for a little while longer, as I just got it in February, but with some added functionality that a new webOS version would bring. Maybe I'll just wait until my girlfriend switches to Sprint in August and play with her new Palm hardware...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The compass is messed up by the magnets in the touchstone back, thus meaning you can't have both because the compass would never be accurate. With the magnets, the compass can't function since the magnets can pull it in funky directions (if you have a compass around put a magnet or just your touchstone back near it and watch the needle move around).

So it will be interesting to see what HPalm decides to do about people desire for the compass for certain features vs. the love of inductive charging.
    Easy, when the device detects that is being charged, turn off compass and if you try to open an app that requires compass, then send a message saying "Compass is off. The device detected a touchstone, which interfeers with the compass. Take your phone out of the touchstone to enable compass" or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRican View Post
    Imagine this: bring your old phone and get 100 off, 2 year contract, another 150 off (extension that is), so phone comes out to like 50 bucks. looking forward to new hardware, can't wait!!! Kidding it aint gonna happen, but I'm sure we Palm carriers will benefit!!!

GO PALM!!!
    The palm loyalists will still be rewarded by not wasting their upgrade on the evo
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Easy, when the device detects that is being charged, turn off compass and if you try to open an app that requires compass, then send a message saying "Compass is off. The device detected a touchstone, which interfeers with the compass. Take your phone out of the touchstone to enable compass" or something like that.
    Uhmm see that's the problem. It is NOT the charging, it IS the magnets.... those magnets from my understanding will ALWAYS be there at least in the current version of the touchstone. So the magnets once again REGARDLESS of charging are part of the phones back plate and will mess with the compass.

edit...... bahhhh I didn't realize there are more of you.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    I'm thinking something like an on/off switch for compass functionality, kinda like GPS or the various patches for turning off different radios in the phone. Honestly, I'm not really sure what I'd use a compass for, besides apps (I'd love to have the one that can tell you what's around through the viewfinder on the camera). Really, I'd be happy to keep my Pre around for a little while longer, as I just got it in February, but with some added functionality that a new webOS version would bring. Maybe I'll just wait until my girlfriend switches to Sprint in August and play with her new Palm hardware...

Read post above, magnets are not radios and in their current design cannot be turned off.

also a pic so you can see.....
    http://jkontherun.files.wordpress.co...touchstone.jpg

and from a description
    "The Touchstone requires that you use a magnetized back cover on your Pre; it's included with the Touchstone kit."
    link to description..... Review of the Palm Pre Touchstone Charging Kit - Palm Pre Touchstone Charger Review

Any more questions? Ohh wait....

I know not the most reliable source, but clearly I need to fully explain the issue:
    The compass needle is magnetic so if you place a magnet near the compass, the needle will change direction either attracting or reppeling.

WikiAnswers - How does a magnet affect a compass needle

So hopefully we are all on the same page now, the current touchstone setup will NOT work with a compass..... unless we want to draw more power by palm including some kinda electromagnets that can be shut off when the phone is not on the touchstone (which would probably cause other issues and isn't a real concept anyways).
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 06/26/2010 at 06:05 PM.
    I don't have a touchstone, I tought it was the other way. Then the solution would be as simple as moving the metal to the cover and the magnets to the touchstone in the next version.
    Guessing there was a reason..... probably heat and space that they didn't add a big *** metal plate to the back of the phone. I could be wrong, but looking at how thin the back plate is and the massive complaints about battery size..... I would think they probably didn't/don't/won't want to sacrifice space for a metal plate in the phone.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    The compass is messed up by the magnets in the touchstone back, thus meaning you can't have both because the compass would never be accurate. With the magnets, the compass can't function since the magnets can pull it in funky directions (if you have a compass around put a magnet or just your touchstone back near it and watch the needle move around).

There are no magnets in the touchstone back... thus no issue with messing up a compass... The magnets are the in the touchstone itself, and there are 4 metal 'disks' that the touchstone grabs onto that are in the backing of the phone. Bring on the Compass!

Proof it's just disks...
    Modded Seidio 2600 Extended Battery Back to work with touchstone

He has to ADD magnets IF you want them. I remember reading far into that post where he discusses why he doesn't prefer to modify it to use magnets unless specifically asked to do so.
    Last edited by Queueyou; 06/26/2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Link added
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    also a pic so you can see.....
    http://jkontherun.files.wordpress.co...touchstone.jpg

and from a description
    "The Touchstone requires that you use a magnetized back cover on your Pre; it's included with the Touchstone kit."
    link to description..... Review of the Palm Pre Touchstone Charging Kit - Palm Pre Touchstone Charger Review

So hopefully we are all on the same page now, the current touchstone setup will NOT work with a compass..... unless we want to draw more power by palm including some kinda electromagnets that can be shut off when the phone is not on the touchstone (which would probably cause other issues and isn't a real concept anyways).
    First off, your picture shows only the backing, there's nothing there that 'proves' they are magnets.

2nd, your article you linked to is not an official "palm" site and has their sources wrong apparently by never tearing it apart. Want proof? Have a touchstone back? Go find almost any nail or screw, put it to the back, does it stick? NO, now do the same to the touchstone itself.

Now are "we" on the same page?
    magnets are not radios and in their current design cannot be turned off.
    Electromagnets can be turned on/off.

Problem solved.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345