1.    #1  
    Hi,

I will be traveling to the UK (with a few days in Paris) for vacation. I plan on bringing my Treo 180 and purchasing a pre-paid SIM card in UK.

Can anyone give any suggestions or hints on which one to get for the Treo?. Also, any help using SMS / AOL IM in UK would be helpful (or is it the same as here in US?, sorry for my ignorance)

I did activate world-roaming with Voicestream, but I'm not too crazy paying $.99/minute. I know that a pre-paid phone card is probably the cheapest option, but I would love to test out this 'world-phone'. Also, I'm renting a car for a few days, so it would be helpful in 'emergency' situations (I hear those round-abouts are tricky )

Thank you in advance for your help.

Can't wait for some fish & chips
    Most of the carriers in the UK like British Telecom/MMo2 and Orange and Vodafone sell prepaids. Some now include data services too.

The biggest trick is finding a UK carrier with an inter-roaming agreement for SMS with the US. You can often send an SMS to the UK but not get one back depending upon the outbound carrier from the UK. Ask a pal using UK service to send you an sms.

If this is a problem of course, just send emails from your sms when in the UK. You can send the SMS email to a phone or a regular email address. You will need to get the SMS email center number for the carrier and put it in the prefs for the SMS app on your Treo.

You will be amazed by the quality of the coverage in the UK. It is 4 bars wall to wall everywhere... if only Cingular and VoiceStream could pull that off here.
    Originally posted by robertruelan
    Hi,

I will be traveling to the UK (with a few days in Paris) for vacation. I plan on bringing my Treo 180 and purchasing a pre-paid SIM card in UK.

Can anyone give any suggestions or hints on which one to get for the Treo?. Also, any help using SMS / AOL IM in UK would be helpful (or is it the same as here in US?, sorry for my ignorance)

I did activate world-roaming with Voicestream, but I'm not too crazy paying $.99/minute. I know that a pre-paid phone card is probably the cheapest option, but I would love to test out this 'world-phone'. Also, I'm renting a car for a few days, so it would be helpful in 'emergency' situations (I hear those round-abouts are tricky )

Thank you in advance for your help.

Can't wait for some fish & chips
    I just got back from a week there a few weeks ago and I had no problems. I too used the Voicestream world romaing and had no problems. SMS was FREE both ways, only counted towards my Ping Pong limit. I did pick up a BT Pre-Paid Sim to make calls back to the States at $.39 a minute.

Have fun, visit Bath if you can, best Fish and Chips were found there for sure!
    I had no problem sending SMS msgs back and forth and they were free for me as well. However, I could not manage to make any phone calls. (Never looked into it before or after).

I like the idea of picking up a pre-paid SIM card. However, I thought that the Treo's were "locked" so you could not do this. Wehn you buy a pre-paid card, how do incoming calls work?

pete
    Note that the US ("World") version of the Treos are 900/1900 MHz, so the 1800MHz GSM networks in the UK (Orange and T-Mobile/One2One) won't work. So make sure you get a pre-paid SIM on either Vodafone or O2/BTcellnet.

Enjoy your visit!
    richi.
    I've always found SMS roaming while in the US to be unreliable (my UK home network is Vodafone). So don't rely on it to work!

Incoming messages may be delayed several hours, or until you return home, or may never arrive. Similarly, outgoing messages might be delayed or lost.

r.
    I recently returned from a trip in France using my Treo 270 with my Voicestream service and it worked perfectly everywhere. I was able to get SMS messages which were charged normally. I was able to access ATT GlobalNet (they have local European nos.)with no problem for email and web browsing. The $.99 is steep, but with judicious use it did not end up too painful. I didn't know you could buy/rent local access SIM cards, which sounds like a good idea. Have a nice trip.
    The calling card I use is IDT. I have also used ATT. both work fine from all European countries + I don"t have to mess around giving peple new numbers, or forwarding my old number, or not being able to receive sms messages.