1.    #1  
    Don't you?
    Yes
    My Pre has withstood many many drops on many surfaces, and only has the slightest scuffs.

iPhone 4 drop test yields results (video) -- Engadget

If the iPhone4 is supposed to have Gorilla Glass I'm defiantly not impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    My Pre has withstood many many drops on many surfaces, and only has the slightest scuffs.

iPhone 4 drop test yields results (video) -- Engadget

If the iPhone4 is supposed to have Gorilla Glass I'm defiantly not impressed.
    That might be partly because of the "ice cream sandwich" type design of the iPhone and the repeated dropping before it finally cracks but I would say this is pretty impressive...

Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass screen: torture tested for your amusement (video) -- Engadget

So yes I would love for the next phone from Palm to use Gorilla Glass
    I really do. Or just a different non-scratch surface.
    gorilla glass sucks!!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrude432 View Post
    gorilla glass sucks!!
    And what do you base this statement on??
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Exactly - remember Gorilla Glass is just a brand name - it's like specifying BlackBerry when you mean to say Smartphone. We just need a good non-scratch glass that does what it says on the tin.

I only ever made the mistake of putting my Pre in the same pocket as my keys once - I've now got a permanent scratch in the centre of the screen. Even the not-so-scratch-proof glass that the iPhone uses would be preferable to plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    WON'T HAPPEN.

The main reason you see all the other phone manufacturers using Plastic is: (well it is cheap/cheaper) but Apple has a patent on the multitouch on glass concept. Thus the only phone with a glass touchscreen. DOH.

Glass is definitely a better solution for touchscreens as tests have shown, probably hwy Crapple snagged it, patented it and hogged it for themselves.

DOH!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    WON'T HAPPEN.

The main reason you see all the other phone manufacturers using Plastic is: (well it is cheap) but Apple has a patent on the multitouch on glass concept. Thus the only phone with a glass touchscreen. DOH.

Glass is definitely a better solution for touchscreens as tests have shown, probably hwy Crapple snagged it, patented it and hogged it for themselves.

DOH!!
    You may be right, and that's a huge shame if it's true. But the BlackBerry Storm had a glass screen and supported multi-touch. It didn't have the pinch to zoom gesture but it was definitely multi-touch.
    You may be right, and that's a huge shame if it's true. But the BlackBerry Storm had a glass screen and supported multi-touch. It didn't have the pinch to zoom gesture but it was definitely multi-touch.
    Yah I am sure there are a few loopholes and such, probably why you had to tap and hold a second on the storm to click something etc. But comparing the iPhone touch and Pre touch...Pre has to be on a plastic screen to avoid infringement. I bet Apple would be all over that infringement as it is the one and only patent they have full control over still to my knowledge.
    Apple has a patent on the multitouch on glass concept. Thus the only phone with a glass touchscreen. DOH.
    Isn't the screen on the EVO made of Glass? It's multi touch too right?
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Isn't the screen on the EVO made of Glass? It's multi touch too right?
    Plastic coating over the glass...hmm

Not sure how that is working for them...wonder if they have a different technology behind theirs...or hell maybe I am wrong?

Anyone more knowledgable able to clarify?
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 06/24/2010 at 03:17 PM.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    dell streak has gorilla glass apple does not have a patient and if they do they won't sue palm because of there massive patient portfolio
    i would want this on the next webos device
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I don't care what brand it is, but yes, I'd LOVE to have a good, scratch-resistant, chemically strengthened glass screen on the next WebOS phone. NO curves, and please no plastic. Time to keep up with the competition!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yah I am sure there are a few loopholes and such, probably why you had to tap and hold a second on the storm to click something etc. But comparing the iPhone touch and Pre touch...Pre has to be on a plastic screen to avoid infringement. I bet Apple would be all over that infringement as it is the one and only patent they have full control over still to my knowledge.
    Not at all, most HTC phones have glass screens, Motorola uses glass screens, Samsung's new phones have glass screens, shall I keep going? What makes you think that Apple has mobile glass screens patented?
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Not at all, most HTC phones have glass screens, Motorola uses glass screens, Samsung's new phones have glass screens, shall I keep going? What makes you think that Apple has mobile glass screens patented?
    Most people think that everything Apple does is the first time it's been done.

Didn't you know MP3 players didn't exist before the ipod?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So that means going to a completely flat screen, right? I think any glass would require this.
    Uhh... Are your drinking glasses flat?

What about your light bulbs?

The windows on round buildings?

For more funny funny jokes like this, please check out:

http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...rial-here.html
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 06/24/2010 at 05:49 PM.
    Actually the assertion that Apple has the patent to multitouch on glass is completely incorrect. It is widely believe that patent # 7,705,830, awarded in April of this year, is the patent that protects Apples multitouch technology on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. (See Apple awarded key iPhone multitouch patent | Apple - CNET News). The patent nowhere in the claims does it limit itself to any particular type of surface on which multitouch can be implemented. In fact if you look at the last claim (21) the apparatus being claimed by Apple broadly states a multi-touch surface. So the claim covers all types of surfaces including plastic and glass which can provide for multi-touch gesture interpretation. What is novel to Apple is the method by which they interpret the multi-touch gestures. This is precisely why Apple's claims in the patent are mostly directed to methods and not to actual physical products. (13 of 21 claims are methods) If I had to guess without looking at Palm's patent portfolio they achieve the same results by a sufficiently different means, which is why the can incorporate multitouch in their device without fear of a lawsuit. So I would say that as long as Palm uses the same method they currently are they could use a glass screen without fear of a lawsuit from Apple. Unless their method somehow does not work with glass (I highly doubt this).

EDIT: This is the Application filed by Palm for multitouch on webOS devices ( http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...DN/20100162181). Coincidentally this was published today by the USPTO. If someone has a lot of time on their hands they can take a look and see there is a difference between the way Palm does multitouch and apple does it. Just look at the claims between the two.

EDIT(2): For anyone who wants to know if Apple invented multitouch as a concept here is a patent awarded to Logitech in 1998 to similar technology (http://www.google.com/patents?id=IAk...page&q&f=false) and an article from 1985 that describes a multitouch tablet: http://www.billbuxton.com/leebuxtonsmith.pdf. So, what this means is that Apple can not claim infringement simply because someone does multitouch. This technology has long been known and the patent terms to this technology have expired and therefore anyone can create multitouch systems without worrying about infringement. The caveat to this is that the method of recognizing and interpreting the multitouch gestures are now patentable by different companies and these need to be different from one another. This is where Apple and Palm would fight each other in the court system.
    Last edited by zulfaqar621; 06/24/2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add palm patent app for multitouch
    Yes i would love that. My pre is kind of scratched up.