1.    #1  
    I know so many are interested in tablets as am I. The idea of multitouch and long lasting batteries are awesome, however the tablets rigt now are mearly bigger versions of mobile os's and lack functionality which would make them more useful. Apple may have lots of apps, but when it comes to computing people need full suites for example, photoshop, movie editing software, architectural design software ect. As well as full fledged games for pc. Productivity software like Ms. Office is important too, however the smoothness of webos and simplicity of it makes life easier for many things. So my thought is, until mobile os's become more fit for computing, could they use webos as an overlay os ontop of windows 7 for most functions and access windows programs from it or go to windows and let you access stuff from it, or even just a simple overlay you can switch between. Point blank, the touchsmart notebook is powerful enough with a keyboard. Now someday I'm sure the ipad and other slats will be that powerful, and mobile software will be more powerful, however I'd like for hp to make the touchsmart with webos and windoes 7 and am curious if anyone else would be interested as well.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I guess I may not be not clearly understanding the overlay part, but if you are referring to making Windows7 intuitive like WebOS I would say this is highly doubtful. I would think modding windows to work with the gestures of WebOS alone would be a lot of work, and frankly I think both HP/Palm and MS have a lot bigger things on their plate.

Who knows though. I personally know that when I play with iPads I have a very stong urge to swipe away apps... Just seems so natural, and just feels right.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I don't think you can just put a touchscreen onto a normal screen, even with webos on it. It's just not comfortable to use. It needs to be something like Microsoft surface, lying down - maybe slightly tilted.

If they do nail the PC formfactor + touch screen usability, I would love to see webos on it though. Just imagine webos on a quad core intel cpu.. Would be sick..

If they want to push webos though, they shouldn't combine it with Windows 7. Make a deal with Adobe to create CS5 Touch for webos. And let EA port a touch friendly Sims 3. Make it a serious fullscreen platform with touch..
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I honestly think with a few adjustments to WebOS it would be ready for Tab Computing. At least with the functionality that the current iPad has right now. Its not much more than a large iPhone, but faster and smoother, because of good hardware.

WebOS could work perfectly, but I agree with you. We need dev support. More so than we have now. I completely understand the devs standpoint becuase developing for yet another OS is just more overhead for the company, and it has to be a worthy investment. Its a tough sale for HP/Palm, but perhaps with HP's pockets we may some things change sooner than later.
  5.    #5  
    maybe I wasn't clear? I am typing from my pre so I don't want to type as much that's why I wasn't thoroug. I was recently looking on the web and found the hp touchsmart tm2 notebook which is a mulititouch capactive 12.1 inch tbalet/notebook. The scrreen twists so you can have it screen up like a tablet, or use it as a normal notebok. Specs include i3 processor with optional integrated 512 ati graphics, 4 gigs of ram and 300 gig storage. It's obviousy bigger then an ipad however weighs 4 lbs so for a fully capable tablet that's awesome! It uses windows 7 however hp has an os which they seem to use over it for touchscreen computers which makes things more intuitive. What I would like is for hp to use webos instead of their current hp touchsmart software. In the future I expect that software will become more cloud based and webos may even become a contender to windows, or maybe not, but point is, I'd like to use webos on a tablet while being able to do things like design a home or play full games.
  6.    #6  
    also, in a perfect world, webos could replace windows and I'd love it windows agrivates me as I feel tha sometimes my pre even runs smoother then my pc and my pc has MUCH better hardware! (then again it is vista ) I can honestly see webos being a new operating system for notebooks with dev support. Make games and programs downloadable via app catalog, more security and syncing, more support for outside stuff like hooking up an ipod or phone, ect. It would all be so much more intuitive and useful and user friendly. We would of course need folders and file viewing ect but really is it even possible for an os like webos to be a fully functional mobile device someday on it's own?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I see what you mean now, and there may be some changes come down the pipeline that have some direct influence from WebOS. I just hope if they do something similar to this, that they make it work smoothly. I for one havent played with the current touch software HP puts on their tablets, but I can only assume it basically works like any other touch PC. If thats the case, I would say there would still be a lot of work to be done.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    WebOS is still immature, why even bother putting money into a tablet already? That would split up the team behind WebOS into the smartphone team and a new tablet team, why would you want that? That would make the OS even MORE behind. Let WebOS (for smartphone) at least reach "mature" level (ie WebOS 2.x), and then the tablet could come in. As I see it, they could at least start on the hardware creation and wait until WebOS becomes noticeable to a good amount of people. The only thing that would be a big no-no would be to split up the team into two, that would turn into what Nokia is at.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You're making too big a deal out of webOS.
    I've always had a passion for mobile devices. If I ould work for palm on the design/idea team I would because the os has the most potential compared to all alternatives however, in alot of ways it falls short of what it's capable of and thus people overlook it. I agree webos is FAR from a tablet, but in the future when it is more mature it would make a great tablet os or overlay type software. I think hp sees it's future potential and how much potential it has against finally taking apple off it's thrown (not anti apple, just think webos is better in the aspect of potential.). I see great things for webos.