1.    #1  
    My Pre is now a year and 16 days old. Even with the onslaught Android devices, although tempting, I still own my first and only Pre.

I'll be waiting until the fall because technology and hardware advances are so frequent now - we'll never be able to keep up. I'm looking forward to what HP/Palm has in store even though the recent news from them said "next year".

Here's my prototype Pre device:

3.7 inch screen and something that ousts the new Iphone 4 display.
    dual core OMAP proc
    512 RAM
    Is a landscape slider at this size not feasible? I love the physical keyboard but think a option for a virtual keyboard also would be lovely (I haven't delved into patching the Pre yet)
    battery profiles built into the OS (Normal, Performance and Power saver)
    5 MP camera
    That's cool. My unit has also lasted what seems like forever and I'm still very happy to have Sprint and my Palm Pre. F104 has also eliminated my TMC problems and I have a an almost perfect system.

Either way. I'm looking forward to what Palm and HP bring! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I just bought another Pre on ebay haha.

I had my original since launch, dropped it multiple times, scratched the hell out of the screen with my keys, took it out skiing in 10 degree weather which literally froze the keyboard... And you know what, besides having a battery that no longer holds its charge, the thing works flawlessly.

But I can't deal with the scratches and battery issues anymore, so I bought another. WebOS paired with a physical keyboard is just too nice to give up for that other ginormous phone.
    I've been thinking about getting a Pre Plus, but I'm not sure if that's the route I'll go just yet.
    I don't want a landscape slider, just a little bigger pre will be fine.
    Portrait Slider is superior to landscape slider because of single-handed typing.

That being said the market craves touchscreen keyboard slabs, so Palm would be wise to release one of those. And I will bet that they will, sooner or later.

BTW, why 512 mb of ram? That's just what the Plus already has. Just because Apple has pulled even with Palm in that department doesn't mean that Palm has to stop innovating. It's almost like saying we should have a clunky iphone-style task switcher ("multitasking done right" hahaha) instead of our real multitasking...
    I forsee the next palm phone (i think there just gonna call it the plus) to be a little thicker, 4 inch screen, portrat numerical keypad with phone app still available for pressing, landscape qwerty etc keypad and snapdragon 1ghz processor.
    <<Thread Moved and Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I forsee the next palm phone (i think there just gonna call it the plus) to be a little thicker, 4 inch screen, portrat numerical keypad with phone app still available for pressing, landscape qwerty etc keypad and snapdragon 1ghz processor.
    On the contrary, I believe that it's gonna be thinner, with a screen not much bigger (3,5" maybe), with a portrait keyboard and an 1,5GHz OMAP -or- possibly a dual-core 1GHz OMAP.

First of all, Palm have said time and again that they're with TI and not Qualcomm, so no Snapdragons. I don't understand the fetish some of you seem to have with the Snapdragon name anyway, it's a Cortex A8 like the OMAP, only with a more snazzy name. The reason an Evo is faster than a Pre is not because it has a Snapdragon instead of an OMAP, it's because it's clocked at 1GHz instead of 500MHz. Look at the Engadget discussion boards, they're already drooling over the Samsung Hummingbird - another Cortex A8 - and laughing at the Snapdragon... For too many tech nerds, it's about what's NEWEST, not what's BEST. The logic is - if it's newer, it's gotta be better. If it has a cool name, doubly so. And Hummingbirds are like, fast, dude!

Secondly, Ruby has stated a couple of times that there are no plans for keyboardless Palm devices. Sure, all bets are basically off since the HP merger, but HP have said that Palm's roadmap for the next year or so is going to remain untouched with the possible exception of additions of a tablety nature. So while HP will want to have a device ready for that part of the market that doesn't type much and wants a slim touchscreen-only device, that's not going to happen anytime soon.
    I'd be surprised to see a landscape slider because they're simply inferior to portrait keyboards - you cannot type single-handedly on a landscape slider, period.

I'm curious though - what do you mean, portrait numerical keypad AND landscape slider? You think it's going to have a 4" Touchscreen, a standard dumbphone keypad underneath AND a landscape slider? Or do you think it's gonna have a portrait keypad slider AND a landscape full-keyboard slider? In that case, the device would be pushing an inch and no marketing in the world would sell more than ten devices.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 06/23/2010 at 08:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    On the contrary, I believe that it's gonna be thinner, with a screen not much bigger (3,5" maybe), with a portrait keyboard and an 1,5GHz OMAP -or- possibly a dual-core 1GHz OMAP.

First of all, Palm have said time and again that they're with TI and not Qualcomm, so no Snapdragons. I don't understand the fetish some of you seem to have with the Snapdragon name anyway, it's a Cortex A8 like the OMAP, only with a more snazzy name. The reason an Evo is faster than a Pre is not because it has a Snapdragon instead of an OMAP, it's because it's clocked at 1GHz instead of 500MHz. Look at the Engadget discussion boards, they're already drooling over the Samsung Hummingbird - another Cortex A8 - and laughing at the Snapdragon... For too many tech nerds, it's about what's NEWEST, not what's BEST. The logic is - if it's newer, it's gotta be better. If it has a cool name, doubly so. And Hummingbirds are like, fast, dude!

Secondly, Ruby has stated a couple of times that there are no plans for keyboardless Palm devices. Sure, all bets are basically off since the HP merger, but HP have said that Palm's roadmap for the next year or so is going to remain untouched with the possible exception of additions of a tablety nature. So while HP will want to have a device ready for that part of the market that doesn't type much and wants a slim touchscreen-only device, that's not going to happen anytime soon.
    I'd be surprised to see a landscape slider because they're simply inferior to portrait keyboards - you cannot type single-handedly on a landscape slider, period.

I'm curious though - what do you mean, portrait numerical keypad AND landscape slider? You think it's going to have a 4" Touchscreen, a standard dumbphone keypad underneath AND a landscape slider? Or do you think it's gonna have a portrait keypad slider AND a landscape full-keyboard slider? In that case, the device would be pushing an inch and no marketing in the world would sell more than ten devices.

100% agreed. The new droid x has a 1ghz TI omap chip. that will be faster than a snapdragon on the same speed and have better graphics system. so at least palm will use that chip or maybe the new A9 if launch drags on
    Camera Fun! & Face Morpher
    My babies =)