View Poll Results: If HS Replaces Your Treo, should the warranty be extended?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, extend it for another 90 days.

7 53.85%
  • Yes, extend it for the time it took to replace it.

5 38.46%
  • No, let the warranty run out regardless of replacements.

1 7.69%
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Having just discovered my screen died on my SECOND Treo 270 I learned from HS this morning that the ORIGINAL DATE of the warranty of your first Treo stays in effect. So no matter how many defective Treos you have to return (or how long they take to turn around a Treo) HandSpring does NOT extend the warranty. If they're late or have to keep sending you replacements for original manufacturer's defects, after the 90 days is up, YOU START PAYING to repair their faulty units!!!!

If this seems unfair, then START COMPLAINING LOUDLY.

Most of us are still in the original 90 days so you haven't had to deal with this customer unfriendly policy. But you will if something that is a manufacturing glitch pops up after the warranty expires.

Fortunately HS is fairly quick about the turn arounds (according to reports here) but I'm in the sucky position of leaving for Brazil this afternoon for three weeks with a screen-dead 270, thus effectively cuting out that time from my warranty.

For a $500 product this policy stinks!
    This is a no-brainer for HS - or at least it should be.

Each replacement unit should come with its own separate warranty - after all it's a replacement, not a repair.

I sure hope their investors drop by this board now and again to see the type of product/service they're hoping to grow their investment with.

Kupe
    Originally posted by Kupe

Each replacement unit should come with its own separate warranty - after all it's a replacement, not a repair.

I sure hope their investors drop by this board now and again to see the type of product/service they're hoping to grow their investment with.

Kupe
    What... maybe 1% of Treo sales use and or monitor this board? And were one to count that 1%, methinks that one will find that there even fewer really serious problems, but an awful lot of habitual *****ers and moaners that probably started *****ing the day they were born and haven't stopped since.

Gary
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little

... but an awful lot of habitual *****ers and moaners that probably started *****ing the day they were born and haven't stopped since.

Gary
    I'll be darned. Censorship! Not complaining ... just surprised. Hmm can one refer to a female canine as a *****? Or how about "The Southhampton Dog show, Best of Show was take by a Golden Lab *****."

Curious'r and curious'r

Gary
    Note about "censorship".

This is a standerd feature of the software that we use, and we have chosen to keep some words censored (though we have reduecedthe list). This has been done because children do browse this website, and we are trying to keep an enviroment that is not offensive to some.

We don't block you from saying thigns, we just **** it out - most likely any user should be able to get what was written from the context.... i would hope!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Wow! This is ******* great! I wonder what ******* ****** thought of this technology? They're ******* geniuses. I need to recommend this software to my ******* boss! ******-A!

Now I can tell people to go **** and I won't get thrown off of the site! ******* great!

******* thanks!
    --NickC--
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little
    And were one to count that 1%, methinks that one will find that there even fewer really serious problems, . . .
    While I'm sure your figures are based on solid research, or on some obvious evidence, you leave out one small factor: Handspring has stopped shipment of its flagship product in order to take an undetermined amount of time out to bring it up to a standard that the consumer can (minimally) accept. I'm sure everyone stops production/shipment of their sub-1% product defects. Maybe it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Kupe

P.S. Notice I was not only able to make my post without censorship stepping in, but I was even able to quote Gary's original post without those asterisks. Is it possible to communicate without profanity? NAH!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Although I'm still annoyed about being in outta of country with a working Palm (never mind the cell phone part) I did call Customer Support to complain about the warranty issue and was told that when I get my replacement 270 I should register online (not via phone) as if this were an original purchase and ACCORDING TO HS this gives the replacement phone a fresh 90 days.

Since I can't check this out until I come back and go through the replacement procedure again I have no way of knowing if this is true.

But you can! Has anyone RE-registered their replacement 270 using the online web form (using the new serial number, of course)? If you have, why not give Customer Support a call and ask when your warranty expires? And let us know.

Seriously, I loved to be proven wrong on my original post because I do think HS is probably trying to fix this issue for good.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    On another point related to this: Wouldn't it be nice if, once HS determined WHICH Treos are affected by the dead screen problem, to contact the owners and just do a replacement? I suppose that's a lot to ask but it sure would've been nice to have had a working Palm while traveling out of the country.
    And How is Handspring's policy different from other PDA (or Tech) manufacturers? If the warranty period is up or close to being up, there is an additional 90 day period tacked on the one year.

BTW, I am one of HAND's investors..and I agree with the policy. How many companies went bankrupt these past few years because of their overly friendly customer policy?

Another thing to consider is that these policies are usually not "written in stone". They tend to change on circumstances. Companies often allow exceptions on a case to case basis.

Originally posted by Kupe

Kupe
    I think this is baloney. The CSR you spoke with probably told you something you wanted to hear to get you off the phone. I am sure that Handspring has though of this...if they haven't..well they know about it now

Originally posted by rowan

But you can! Has anyone RE-registered their replacement 270 using the online web form (using the new serial number, of course)? If you have, why not give Customer Support a call and ask when your warranty expires? And let us know.

Seriously, I loved to be proven wrong on my original post because I do think HS is probably trying to fix this issue for good.
    Originally posted by yardie
    And How is Handspring's policy different from other PDA (or Tech) manufacturers?
    HP: If it's their defect, you get a replacement with a full warranty. Replacement sent to you Fed-Ex with a return box.
    Compaq: Ditto
    Palm: Ditto, within 3 business days ($25) or free repair within 7 days
    Toshiba: Ditto, except you send yours in first.
    BTW, I am one of HAND's investors..and I agree with the policy.
    And all the rest of their policies too? Is this the same HAND that has dropped from $40/share in Jan 01 to $10/share in Jan 02 to $1/share in Aug 02? They must love you as a loyal investor.
    How many companies went bankrupt these past few years because of their overly friendly customer policy?
    That's easy: None. However, poor business practices, poorly made products, and low market share sure killed a lot of them. Which of those three categories does Handspring fit into? All three perhaps?

Kupe