1.    #1  
    So I have an iPod touch 2nd Gen. This thing is old tech. Arm 11 Processor clocked at 550 Mhz, old graphics chip, only 128 megs of ram, and in many ways it shows. The machine can lock up randomly, even though the browser does technically multitask if I use a memory intensive application it has to reload the site, and if I use one of the most recent apps available to the iOS it can have some serious slowdowns. But when it comes to animations, especially switching between pages of apps, scrolling, pinch zooming in the browser and general interface actions it's a rocket. Smooth as butter. I'd rip on the Pre at this point but I'm gonna be frank when it comes to smooth you can't beat Apple's OS, not with Android, or Windows Mobile or Webos, and this comes due to it's hardware acceleration. The OS is actually using that fancy graphics card inside of it to keep the OS responsive.

Now my Pre is overclocked and Compache'd. In comparison to the iPod, well there is no comparison. I can have 14 apps open at the same time, 4 of them the browser on full sized websites like engadget and gizmodo and my little phone is still running fine like a champ. However even with only one card open my phone can't touch the iPod's smoothness in scroll or general OS animation. This needs to change.

The Pre OS is fantastic, and I pray that the Fall update to the OS actually uses that PowerVR SGX chip to it's fullest because even at it's Sprint Non Plus model this machine is an iPhone 3GS on the inside. Palm just needs to learn how to harness it to fly like the iPhones, while doing true multitasking instead of 'fast app switching'. Tie that with some New hardware around Christmas and tons of HP money and Palm will be flying well into a very happy 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    So I have an iPod touch 2nd Gen. This thing is old tech. Arm 11 Processor clocked at 550 Mhz, old graphics chip, only 128 megs of ram, and in many ways it shows. The machine can lock up randomly, even though the browser does technically multitask if I use a memory intensive application it has to reload the site, and if I use one of the most recent apps available to the iOS it can have some serious slowdowns. But when it comes to animations, especially switching between pages of apps, scrolling, pinch zooming in the browser and general interface actions it's a rocket. Smooth as butter. I'd rip on the Pre at this point but I'm gonna be frank when it comes to smooth you can't beat Apple's OS, not with Android, or Windows Mobile or Webos, and this comes due to it's hardware acceleration. The OS is actually using that fancy graphics card inside of it to keep the OS responsive.

Now my Pre is overclocked and Compache'd. In comparison to the iPod, well there is no comparison. I can have 14 apps open at the same time, 4 of them the browser on full sized websites like engadget and gizmodo and my little phone is still running fine like a champ. However even with only one card open my phone can't touch the iPod's smoothness in scroll or general OS animation. This needs to change.

The Pre OS is fantastic, and I pray that the Fall update to the OS actually uses that PowerVR SGX chip to it's fullest because even at it's Sprint Non Plus model this machine is an iPhone 3GS on the inside. Palm just needs to learn how to harness it to fly like the iPhones, while doing true multitasking instead of 'fast app switching'. Tie that with some New hardware around Christmas and tons of HP money and Palm will be flying well into a very happy 2011.
    If everything happens as you describe, Palm will still need to learn how to properly market their product for it to catch on. And the app catalog is pathetically small, after a year's worth of development. Not to mention, some of the most popular apps can't be written for the pre because apps can't use the microphone or camera. Palm made so many mistakes with this phone that it's shameful.

Now, as far as UI video acceleration. It would certainly be wonderful to have, but does anyone know if this is even in the works? Is it even possible with WebOS? I keep hearing stuff about CSS transforms, Java, etc, but I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea about any of this.
    ccs transforms or whatever it is, is gpu accelerated UI. And the API's for the microphone and camera should be out in the fall. I can't wait!
    On topic of pathetically small app catalogs a year after release, do you know how many third-party apps the iPhone had a year after release?

Cause that's when they started accepting third-party apps in the first place. Can't have been the apps, stupid, at that point.

Just needed to say that. And yes, I, too, am looking forward to the implementation of hardware-accelerated css transforms in webOS. The only things that webOS is really inferior to iOS in are smoothness and API support. API support is obviously gonna be better in a mature OS that's been on the market for four years than in one that's still at the 1.x stage, and it seems like webOS is gonna get some smooth buttering this fall
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    On topic of pathetically small app catalogs a year after release, do you know how many third-party apps the iPhone had a year after release?

Cause that's when they started accepting third-party apps in the first place. Can't have been the apps, stupid, at that point.

Just needed to say that. And yes, I, too, am looking forward to the implementation of hardware-accelerated css transforms in webOS. The only things that webOS is really inferior to iOS in are smoothness and API support. API support is obviously gonna be better in a mature OS that's been on the market for four years than in one that's still at the 1.x stage, and it seems like webOS is gonna get some smooth buttering this fall
    I was simply pointing out that a year after release, our app catalog contains something like 3,000 apps, most of which are useless. The iPhone, 3 years after release, contains I believe north of 100,000, most if which are again, useless. If I am wrong please correct me. The 3rd party stuff is a moot point, as I believe Palm never restricts developers in the way apple does. The simple fact is, there are not many developers working on WebOS.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    for the title and OP, did you start your thread title like a facebook status update by accident? I like to think you did, its fun.

anyway,

Windzilla likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    I was simply pointing out that a year after release, our app catalog contains something like 3,000 apps, most of which are useless. The iPhone, 3 years after release, contains I believe north of 100,000, most if which are again, useless. If I am wrong please correct me. The 3rd party stuff is a moot point, as I believe Palm never restricts developers in the way apple does. The simple fact is, there are not many developers working on WebOS.
    Think of it this way.

When the Sprint HTC Hero launched, Android had only been on one carrier in the US (the smallest of the big 4), and had been out for roughly a year. How many apps were in their app catalog?

12-14,000. Then, Droid came shortly after along with exponential growth. 7 months after, they have around 60,000 apps including many, many big names.

With WebOS devices on every carrier except the smallest and 12 months after first launch, Palm has 2,500 or so in the catalog, and the platform's momentum is actually slowing in the chasm between the start and completion of the HP merger.
    Well if you have noticed, ~1,000 of those ~3,000 apps came out in the last couple of months. I can't find a reference point for the 2000 mark, but if you look below, 6-7 months after launch, we were at 1000 official apps. 6 months later and we are at 2909 (as of today, 6/22/10), almost triple. Then consider that the version 1.4.5 will open PDK apps up to every developer (not just a select few as they are currently). Momentum is growing and I believe the PDK will allow it to grow at a faster pace.

Ref:
    - June 6, 2009: Pre Launch.
    - January 1, 2010: ~ 7 months later... App Catalog Hits 1000 apps
    - June 22, 2010: 2909 apps available.

EDIT: I don't think people realize how great the 1.4.5 update may be. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it open the Pre's app catalog the vast majority of iPhone apps via the PDK? It's just a matter of developers deciding the conversion (which takes hours to days) is worth it to have an app released on another platform.
    Last edited by sinime; 06/22/2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Well if you have noticed, ~1,000 of those ~3,000 apps came out in the last couple of months. I can't find a reference point for the 2000 mark, but if you look below, 6-7 months after launch, we were at 1000 official apps. 6 months later and we are at 2909 (as of today, 6/22/10), almost triple. Then consider that the version 1.4.5 will open PDK apps up to every developer (not just a select few as they are currently). Momentum is growing and I believe the PDK will allow it to grow at a faster pace.

Ref:
    - June 6, 2009: Pre Launch.
    - January 1, 2010: ~ 7 months later... App Catalog Hits 1000 apps
    - June 22, 2010: 2909 apps available.

EDIT: I don't think people realize how great the 1.4.5 update may be. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it open the Pre's app catalog the vast majority of iPhone apps via the PDK? It's just a matter of developers deciding the conversion (which takes hours to days) is worth it to have an app released on another platform.
    Yea, that's a good point. I think iPhone apps will be more accessible to us. But it will still be a while for the microphone and camera APIs to be integrated, and Palm is already almost a month late with the 1.4.5 update. At this point, if the new update fixes my problems that started after 1.4, I'll be happy with this phone. The new apps will just be a bonus, as well as video acceleration of the UI. With the 800 Mhz overclock, the phone is acceptably fast.
    Yea, that's a good point. I think iPhone apps will be more accessible to us. But it will still be a while for the microphone and camera APIs to be integrated, and Palm is already almost a month late with the 1.4.5 update. At this point, if the new update fixes my problems that started after 1.4, I'll be happy with this phone. The new apps will just be a bonus, as well as video acceleration of the UI. With the 800 Mhz overclock, the phone is acceptably fast.
    Very true about the mic and camera APIs. Also, no iPhone to Pre apps that rely to heavily on needing a compass. I laugh every time my android touting friend tries to show off the constellation app he has. I don't think he ever uses it except to "show off", which to me is not too impressive. I always shut him up with one of my 3D games. Anyhow, I know Astraware is supposed to be releasing some games as soon as the 1.4.5 update rolls out and there may be a large spike in apps next month with the "Hot Apps program for PDK apps". Who knows for sure till we get there though?
    Hardware accelerated UI is the #1 feature I want. WebOS would run so much better and smoother with the graphics chip enabled in the OS. I have a feeling 1.5 will be the best update yet, can't wait for fall.
    With Flash for WebOS imminent, I believe hardware acceleration will become a top priority for the PALM Pre staff.

It's my very firm opinion that the final version of "Flash for Mobile" is what they were waiting for to finalize the hardware acceleration code.

I may be wrong, but, its just an uneducated hunch.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein