1.    #1  
    It seems that the most hyped aspect of new phones is not so much the hardware, but rather what the OS is and how many apps exist for that OS. I'm wondering how Palm can overcome those issues simply by making great hardware. I know several people who don't care for how the Droid looks/feels, but they like all the apps (same for the iPhone). The Pre is a beautiful phone, but it gets knocked repeatedly for having a limited app catalog when compared to Apple or Android. CAN Palm make a phone that's so nice that enough people will buy it in spite of not having 100,000 apps which will then spur the development of more apps?
    none of the above. it's marketing.
    example: ipods horrible sound quality but sell millions why because of great marketing
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have to respectfully disagree.

My Wife and I both (along with 3 other successfully converted friends) suffer from the common QA issues with the Hardware. We all put up with it because the OS itself is the revolutionary next step in Smartphones, amazingly simple to use yet very powerful. Now that Apple is following up with their multi-tasking iOS4, they get to steal the "revolutionary" term back.

Apps come with vendor support, vendor support comes with popularity, popularity comes with marketing -assuming it's a somewhat decent device- Creeping everybody out with a ghostly womans face filling your screen was apparently NOT good marketing.

New marketing, new device, I think WebOS can work it's way out of the somewhat slowly developing App catalog

Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    example: ipods horrible sound quality but sell millions why because of great marketing
    Aww you beat me to it! iPod's actually had good quality before they changed to a different DSP for the 4G. I would have used the UI as an example, the iPod interface is ridiculously dated and clunky, Zune however is a nice update. Marketing and image make the iPod a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    It seems that the most hyped aspect of new phones is not so much the hardware, but rather what the OS is and how many apps exist for that OS. I'm wondering how Palm can overcome those issues simply by making great hardware. I know several people who don't care for how the Droid looks/feels, but they like all the apps (same for the iPhone). The Pre is a beautiful phone, but it gets knocked repeatedly for having a limited app catalog when compared to Apple or Android. CAN Palm make a phone that's so nice that enough people will buy it in spite of not having 100,000 apps which will then spur the development of more apps?
    I believe the horrible marketing or nearly no marketing at all has put WebOS in the position they are today. Great OS, beautiful design, excellent platform to build on but NO ONE cares because no one knows.

I was in a FRY's electronics store the other day and the person working on my computer was talking about buying a Droid because it was open to build on and multi tasked. I am thinking to myself...here we go again. I took out my pre and quickly showed him how easy it is to use and what an incredible homebrew community we have. "I had no idea" he said. I told him unfortunately no one does. What really frustrates me is this person builds and fixes computers and never saw what the Pre is capable of until I showed him mine.

Sad.
  5.    #5  
    Well, I do agree that Palm really screwed the pooch on marketing. I've posted in another how this was their biggest blunder by far with the Pre lauch: nobody knew it existed, nobody knew it was announced, nobody knew it was released, etc.

However, one of the most common things I read and hear from other people when touting a new smartphone is the # of apps you can get. In fact, many of the early reviews for the Pre raved about the style, design and OS, but cited it's weak app catalog as one of its main drawbacks. You almost can't hear or read an advertisement for an Android phone without being reminded of how many apps there are (same for the iPhone). To be honest, your run-of-the-mill smart phone user doesn't care as much about the OS as they do apps. If you stopped random people on the street and asked them choosed between a phone with a stellar OS but small app catalog or a phone with an ok OS but a huge app catalog, most would choose the latter. That's just what people want: lots of apps. I think it's silly. I've owned my Pre Plus for about 3 months now and have maybe 8 apps. It's just not something that's that important to me, but it is to a lot of people.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Palm is in the same marketing as Nokia, sadly.

However, if the hardware is not there then the OS will suffer (like right now WebOS not being GPU accelerated) and vice versa.

The only company that has made the OS and hardware work almost flawlessly has been Apple. I mean, the first iPhone ran on a 400MHz processor (still have mine). Android needs a lot of horsepower to run decently (blame VM?). Symbian is the only OS that is optimized for mobiles, but has a "bad" UI/UX/GUI/everything.

Then there is Microsoft. They really hit the nail with "sea of sameness". I would prefer having things integrated (synergy) to the OS (ie WebOS's IM with SMS/MMS/IM/etc) rather than infinite amounts of apps. That way devs can look into more in depth apps and not trying to make a Facebook app that is very limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    +1
    I personally do not see a point in having 100,000 + apps and bragging about it. Have you really met someone with that many apps on there phone?
    The average people I know who are not tech savvy want Apps . they care less about the OS . Also I find another issue is when i mention Palm they say something like . "I dont want a PDA". Maybe it would be a good idea for Hp to dump the Palm brand and use HP. Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    The average people I know who are not tech savvy want Apps . they care less about the OS . Also I find another issue is when i mention Palm they say something like . "I dont want a PDA". Maybe it would be a good idea for Hp to dump the Palm brand and use HP. Just a thought.
    Yeah, I mean, there isn't anything wrong with some good apps (and some bad ones ). However, subconsciously they do care about the OS, more importantly, the UI/UX/GUI (ie why even though Nokia has the highest percent of market share, yet their "high end" smartphones suck due to hardware and OS). For example, if iOS didn't have all that eye candy (and EASINESS for the average joe) then it would end up just like WebOS.
    We should start telling people that a smartphone IS a PDA (not the rugged ones that you can throw from a building's rooftop XD). Apple has done a great job in covering up the "smart" side of the smartphone with their UI/UX/GUI, and so has Palm. Palm just needs a good marketing strategy, but also not go in bed with one carrier . Stick a HSPA+ and CDMA chip inside the new WebOS device and they have a one model deal for all carriers
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Gah!
    I DO want a PDA!
    I have a Centro now, and have been looking at Droid and Pre/Pixie. The thing that makes me hesitant is the whole "moving away from a PDA" image that Palm did with WebOS.

I use my calendar, notes, memos and contacts on an almost daily basis, and I like having them backed up both on my PC and network drive. Neither Droid nor WebOS will let me back my calendar and contacts to my PC, and will not sync the memo or tasks at all!?

Maybe there are some apps I could buy (I hate the love affair people seem to have with how many apps their phone has in an online market) that would get that functionality, but really? That used to be part of the package!

Maybe I am living in the 90's, but I am having a hard time making the transition to the current iteration of Palm's OS.
    Palm1000 --> Palm Pilot Pro --> Memory/IR upgrade --> PalmIII --> Snap-on Modem --> PalmIIIx --> PalmVx --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> PalmOS is dead, Long live PalmOS!
    i'd say lack of apps (ecosystem) is easily 60% of the equation
    I bought the pre for the hardware (funny, huh?) and the software.
    Think about it, until the EVO came around, the pre had the best hardware and OS on Sprint. I am not going to buy an HTC Hero just for the apps, and I am not going to buy an EVO just for the hardware. I want both.