Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

1. Now that Palm & HP have finally decided to coordinate their comments, about palm making additional smart phone models. Anyone want to guess when they will be released?

2. Do you think they will go from webOS version 1.4x directly to 2.0 for the new, soon to be released smart phones?

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm guessing they release the next device in late Fall.

I don't think they'll go straight to WebOS 2.0. They are going to save that for when they need a big event to get people excited. I see 2.0 being released early next year.
  3.    #3  
    Hi, thank you, for your input. I am up for a new phone, in Oct. That is when my V contract ends, on my trusty centro. I think I will be going to Sprint from there, but that depends on who will have the Pre II, (or what ever it will be called first). Sprint does have better pricing that V.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm actually guessing we'll get the new device in late August or early September, just long enough to allow HP to get involved financially in the next device's promotions and perhaps bring some of its distribution clout to bear on where the device gets sold. I think the device is ready to go and just waiting for the HP deal to close.

I'm pretty sure the next webOS version we'll see will be 1.5, which will be a _major_ update and provide everything Palm talked about in its developers meetup a few weeks back. It will be a simply awesome update, and will make webOS better both on the new device and on existing devices.

Then, I'd expect webOS 2.0 to be released with the first HP smartphones at CES. And incidentally, I'm still expecting a webOS tablet in the October timeframe, because I think HP knows full well that they can't let Apple get so much headway in the tablet space.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I honestly dont see a Pre II in the near future. A tablet, additions to the app store, and a major webos update within the next year. Possibly a Pre 1.5. A storage/cpu/gpu based upgrade, but not a Pre II or anything.

Maybe late 2011/ early 2012. Just my .02
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    I'm kind of thinking along the same lines. I think the next device will be out this fall, but I don't think it's going to be awe-inspiring. I think the next 'big' Palm phone will be out next spring possibly. That's the one I expect to be in line with what we have been pushing/hoping to see. I do think they will bring out a new phone this fall with a different form factor, but not a killer processor.... yet. I'm not giving up hope though!
    I Think you all will be very surprised at how nice the next device will actually be ! very very surprised !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Either way, because the Pre and Pixi are relatively young, their development cycles are off from BB's, Apples, and so on. The only way to be truly competitive would be to shift the cycle to keep releases with everyone elses right?

The next major upgrade should include a front-facing camera at the very least considering HP just bought a video conferencing company last week. It would be a no-brainer, and I'd be uber excited to see that!
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I Think you all will be very surprised at how nice the next device will actually be ! very very surprised !
    hint hint,,hmmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    hint hint,,hmmmmmm
    If Shadavis had some inside info, I'm sure he would've told me... Right?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    hey,,he used exclamation points,,so I am on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, thank you, for your input. I am up for a new phone, in Oct. That is when my V contract ends, on my trusty centro. I think I will be going to Sprint from there, but that depends on who will have the Pre II, (or what ever it will be called first). Sprint does have better pricing that V.

Take care, Jay
    I know how anxious you've been to get a Pre, but to tell you honestly, if I was updating in Oct, and the new device wasn't out at that time (I suspect it will be), I'd wait.
    I don't believe that they will line their release cycles up with the other competitors.

I believe the will have to come out with a phone that resembles more of the iphone or droid style and an os that is way more app friendly with more options.

Releasing at or near the same time as other competitors is like releasing two blockbusters at the same time, they steal money from one another and as a newly acquired company they want to profit as much as possible from a release.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I can't imagine any smartphone company having a product ready to go and letting it sit for a few months as if the rest of the world gives a **** about what HP/Palm's internal hold-up issues are. Not with product cycles moving as rapidly as they do these days. I think that HP, next month, takes a hard look at what Palm has on the launching pad and decides whether to launch or kill.
    Well, golly. First, Palm has just about no choice but to sit on whatever's on their roadmap, regardless of whether or not it's ready to go. The simple fact is that Palm is in the middle of being acquired, which of course is the driving force in everything that Palm is doing. And even if they could release a device during such times, they'd be crazy to do so. They don't have the money or clout to make any headway, and no carrier or retail channel is going to do a deal with Palm when they know they'll be dealing with HP in just over a month.

Second, I guarantee that HP has already taken a good, hard look at what Palm has to offer, and that this measured into their decision to purchase the company. They've already stated that Palm's roadmap will remain in play for some time after the acquisition, which I doubt they would have said if that roadmap weren't attractive. Otherwise, it's a very, very misleading statement, which would be frowned upon by the SEC and investors alike.

And of course HP is already greasing the wheels in preparation for a successful close of the acquisition--we see that in the obviously HP-impacted, new Hot Apps program for PDK developers. I mean, seriously, $1,000 credits at HP.com or HP Envy notebooks as prizes? If that's not telegraphing, then I don't know what is. I'm sure that the money Palm's spending on the 50% off apps program is also entirely in anticipation of the acqusition closing--Palm just doesn't have this money to spend if they don't have access to HP's resources in short order.

Nope, I'm expecting a very nice device in late summer, from everything I've read. I'm not sure that it'll be the industry-changing device that we're all waiting for, but I think it will be good enough to compete hardware-wise with just about anything else out there right now. And, it will run webOS, particularly the new version of webOS coming at about the same time, better than we can imagine given what we're using right now.

I'm a broken record in this respect: every webOS fan just needs to be a little patient for a little while longer. I'm thoroughly convinced that great things are coming, and given how strategic the mobile market is, I'm entirely confident that HP is intensely motivated to be a serious player.

I mean, seriously, consider: we're talking about a $120 billion company, the largest tech company in the world, that knows without a doubt that their PC and printer businesses are inevitably contracting, and that they simply must be successful in the mobile space to maintain their long-term prospects. Everything they're doing right now aims at making webOS a viable platform on smartphones, tablets, netbooks, printers (not mobile, but important to them), and probably form factors we're not even thinking about.

And HP isn't Palm, a tough little company that nevertheless simply lacked the financial resources to be successful in such an incredibly competitive market. webOS is awesome, or we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But Palm hasn't had the money--or distribution clout, or supply chain strength--to give it the treatment it deserves. That's been obvious from the start, really. HP is the polar opposite--they have tons of money, more distribution channels than anyone (they make Apple look silly in this regard), and a supply chain where their PCs only cost $50 to make and distribute on top of materials.

I'll say it again: patience, grasshoppers.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/21/2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Language in quote
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Pensacola isnt too far from Jacksonville...maybe we should do lunch!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)

...so Shadavis08

IF you had to make an educated guess, when do you expect the new hp/palm device to come out?

!!!!!!!!!!!please tell us!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thinking the next gen will be released from HP/Palm late fall in line with the release of webOS 1.5, hopefully the platform will be sporting the new OMAP 4 processor chips with fast speed, great battery life and high res pics/1080i video recording and playback.
    I'm with HelloNNNewman and really don't see a new WebOS phone before spring 2011 at the earliest. There's still a ton of red tape for HP and Palm to wade through before the dust settles. Combine that with the lack of any word from either camp even hinting at a new device (and no, I do not count the nonexistant C40). They aren't going to (or shouldn't) just dump a device on the market with no fanfare. That would be suicide. They would need a few months to build up some excitement or the only ones actually buying the new device will be those left in the forum who haven't gone to the EVO or Incredible by then.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 06/21/2010 at 02:42 PM.
    I would think that if palm releases a second gen phone... if it isn't a WebOS 2.0 then it would be a fail.

Over a whole year and still missing mic api and feeling behind the other OS'. They need to get rid of the 1.xx stigma. They need to show that the next phone, even if people know that it's still before an upcoming hp/palm created phone, the the WebOS is significant enough to hang with the big boys. they need to push past 1.xx (we all know 1.xx was all beta) and put in that big TWO-POINT-OOOOHmygoodness level to get them exciting going into a hp/palm phone.

Who knows when the buyout will be complete... another year? They can call it WebOS 3.0 or HpOS 1.0 by then if they want. And for goodness sakes build a phone without so many hardware issues and leave the oreos and cracked usb port reputation behind.
    The buyout is projected to be finished by end of July, early August. 1.5 will have the have mic access.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast