Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51
  1. chshrkt's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #41  
    So has development of PalmOS been killed completely? I assume since WebOS is being pushed that that is in fact the case.

    Don't mind me, I've been hiding under this rock over here using my Centro as Jeff, Donna and Ed intended...
    Palm1000 --> Palm Pilot Pro --> Memory/IR upgrade --> PalmIII --> Snap-on Modem --> PalmIIIx --> PalmVx --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> PalmOS is dead, Long live PalmOS!
  2. #42  
    On cell phones Palm OS is done. But not completly gone. I work for a mobile phone/device company and a large portion of our devices use Palm OS and WIndows mobile. While they are not huge in the Phone market , Windows Mobile is pretty big in Scanners. ever go to a Avis and they scan your car . thats using windows mobile. same with those scanners in walmart , kmart and every where else. A lot of mail rooms scanners use Palm OS. Also development is done. Whats out there for Palm OS is it. Probally never be updated.
  3. Traxion's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    On cell phones Palm OS is done. But not completly gone. I work for a mobile phone/device company and a large portion of our devices use Palm OS and WIndows mobile. While they are not huge in the Phone market , Windows Mobile is pretty big in Scanners. ever go to a Avis and they scan your car . thats using windows mobile. same with those scanners in walmart , kmart and every where else. A lot of mail rooms scanners use Palm OS. Also development is done. Whats out there for Palm OS is it. Probally never be updated.
    Wheres that BS flag when you need it?!

    I think the last thing that will happen is for Palm to completely drop WebOS after it revolutionized multi-tasking on a mobile device. Of course Windows Mobile is huge, mainly because of that little word that goes in front of it, "Microsoft". Palm will probably never have the clout MS has in the entire computing (mobile included) industry that MS has. MS says buy it... and manufacturers do. To be honest.. comparing Windows Mobile to WebOS is Apples to Oranges.
  4. lxAMNxl's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #44  
    I think you're mistaken. Those things use WinCE, not Windows Mobile, right?
  5. Traxion's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by lxAMNxl View Post
    I think you're mistaken. Those things use WinCE, not Windows Mobile, right?
    Correct.
  6. Phillykef's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    Wheres that BS flag when you need it?!

    I think the last thing that will happen is for Palm to completely drop WebOS after it revolutionized multi-tasking on a mobile device. Of course Windows Mobile is huge, mainly because of that little word that goes in front of it, "Microsoft". Palm will probably never have the clout MS has in the entire computing (mobile included) industry that MS has. MS says buy it... and manufacturers do. To be honest.. comparing Windows Mobile to WebOS is Apples to Oranges.
    He said "PalmOS", not "WebOS." He's talking about the old Palm operating system. No one said Palm/HP was ditching WebOS.
  7. Traxion's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillykef View Post
    He said "PalmOS", not "WebOS." He's talking about the old Palm operating system. No one said Palm/HP was ditching WebOS.
    My mistake...

    Guess when I saw the title "The new Pre" i figured we were only talking about "WebOS". I guess thats what happens when I assume.
  8. chshrkt's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillykef View Post
    He said "PalmOS", not "WebOS." He's talking about the old Palm operating system. No one said Palm/HP was ditching WebOS.
    I shed a little tear that folks are already calling it "the old Palm operating system"...
    Palm1000 --> Palm Pilot Pro --> Memory/IR upgrade --> PalmIII --> Snap-on Modem --> PalmIIIx --> PalmVx --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> PalmOS is dead, Long live PalmOS!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by chshrkt View Post
    I shed a little tear that folks are already calling it "the old Palm operating system"...
    hahaha couldn't agree more. I personally think it was very refined and almost complete. Didn't need any patches for functionality. Heck, didn't NEED 3rd party apps for basic functionality either. 3rd party apps were just that: external apps that provided functionality for something not everyone would want.

    Ever since Apple's toy came out, everyone assumed having a flashier/more colorful OS was the way to go. Not saying WebOS isn't beautiful, cuz it sure is as I bought a Pre within months of it coming out, but just saying that sacrificing functionality for glamour might not be the best way to go in the long run.

    LONG LIVE PALMOS!

    (P.S.: Classic is WAY too overpriced and not worth it...)
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by iFreDDyz View Post
    moment of silence for palmOs....
    LOL, take care,Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I'm with HelloNNNewman and really don't see a new WebOS phone before spring 2011 at the earliest. There's still a ton of red tape for HP and Palm to wade through before the dust settles. Combine that with the lack of any word from either camp even hinting at a new device (and no, I do not count the nonexistant C40). They aren't going to (or shouldn't) just dump a device on the market with no fanfare. That would be suicide. They would need a few months to build up some excitement or the only ones actually buying the new device will be those left in the forum who haven't gone to the EVO or Incredible by then.
    I think if we don't hear a pipe from them by the end of August, then there will be no new Palm phone this year. But that has one month...and a lot of hype can be created in a month or so. Plus, with the Evo, you wouldnt want to compete with that hype...so its best to wait.


    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If I were HP, I'd keep the Palm brand for smartphones and related devices, as some combination of HP Palm (with HP remaining dominant, of course). Beyond smartphones, I'd say it'll be all HP.
    If I was HP, Palm would be business phones while HP will have a slightly altared GUI and with no physical keyboard. Thats what I would do...
    Last edited by astraith; 07/25/2010 at 09:54 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions