Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I think the new device's launch date is based on how HP's going to treat Palm. Is Palm going to maintain its own brand? Then it'll be sooner. Is HP going to merge Palm in and then brand new devices as its own? Then later, because they'll wait until the acquisition's complete so that there won't be products with legs that carry the Palm name (they'll want the name to die from the product market as quickly as possible).

I hope that it's the former (personal bias because I still think that HP is one of stodgiest brands I can think of; I was devastated when I heard it was HEWLETT-PACKARD buying PALM…something akin to the mathlete deflowering the cheerleader), because Palm has huge mindshare as quality products and a good research force, but I'm somehow inclined to believe that it's the latter.

I think we'll hear something by the end of September for a holiday-launch product. HP *loves* holiday launches.
    HP and Palm have both stated in press releases that Palm will go on as a brand and will stay on course of it's road map for future development.
    Ok, because it got apparently got lost in my previous, monstrously long post: HP stated that Palm's existing roadmap would remain in place for some time following the acquisition's close. So, we will NOT be waiting for HP to have a hand in the device's actual design. All they have to worry about contributing is money and distribution/supply chain clout. And I'm sure they've been working on just that since the end of April.

An August-September release is not only entirely possible, but it makes perfect sense. And, importantly, it doesn't even have to be wildly successful in the market, because HP has the deep pockets to absorb any costs. All it has to do is compete, and keep the brand going. Again, this will NOT be tiny, cash-strapped Palm holding on for dear life.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Also, it just struck me that HP said the acquisition would close DURING their Q3, which ends on July 31. That means it could actually close sooner than the end of July, in fact at any time after the shareholder's vote this Friday.

Hmmm...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    HP and Palm have both stated in press releases that Palm will go on as a brand and will stay on course of it's road map for future development.
    How long do you think it's going to go on as its own brand? I am holding out hopes that Palm *stays* as its own brand, churning out mobile devices and then passing on software research/development benefits to HP for proliferation into their other product divisions.

I just don't know if I can bring myself to hold an HP mobile phone in my hand.

But, who knows? Even though I think the holiday product is what's going to happen, I can also agree with y'all about an earlier release date scenario, if I may.
    Quote Originally Posted by crobcary View Post
    How long do you think it's going to go on as its own brand? I am holding out hopes that Palm *stays* as its own brand, churning out mobile devices and then passing on software research/development benefits to HP for proliferation into their other product divisions.
    If I were HP, I'd keep the Palm brand for smartphones and related devices, as some combination of HP Palm (with HP remaining dominant, of course). Beyond smartphones, I'd say it'll be all HP.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I'm really hoping for a new palm handset this fall for a few reasons. First, I really want one, Im keeping my pre until I can get webos on something better so I really want to see that hardware ASAP because the pre hardware makes me wanna break it daily... but also, IF Palm/HP wants to have a good holiday season with a new product, they need to have it out long enough before the holidays to get people wanting it.. if it does not come before november, its not going to sell well for the holidays at all...

please Palm/HP get a KILLER phone out there, and market the hell out of it with the best phone marketing you can pay for (which should be pretty damn good) and make webOS a serious competitor!
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    My prediction? Someone will open a new topic every 30 days or so that says 'New WebOS device in 30 days!!'... until it happens
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    My prediction? Someone will open a new topic every 30 days or so that says 'New WebOS device in 30 days!!'... until it happens
    agreed or that they know of the new phones specs....
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    It will most likely be asking again about it, LOL, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I have a feeling it will launch in Q1 of 2011 and have webOS 2.0 on it, or the nest big update past 1.5 (ie, 1.6?). They need a HUGE launch, not just from a hardware point, put a software point as well.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    I have a feeling it will launch in Q1 of 2011 and have webOS 2.0 on it, or the nest big update past 1.5 (ie, 1.6?). They need a HUGE launch, not just from a hardware point, put a software point as well.
    Hopefully not. I think they'll release a phone before the end of the year (Q4 maybe) with WebOS 1.5. I doubt WebOS 2.0 is ready.
    I just want a new updated Palm. That's all.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I can't see HP or Palm missing out on the Holiday season. There is way too much money to be made and a ton of marketing ideas for the season. At the same time HP/Palm will need some time to churn out these devices so I don't expect it until shortly after Thanksgiving (They don't want to fall short). I have a feeling that the HP slate with Webos and the next pre may come out around the same time, however I can wait til next year if need be. My pre still is a great device, so I can wait until they knock the ball out of the park.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Really no idea on when/if this mysterious device will actually release, but considering it will be the second generation WebOS device, shouldn't the software it comes with in the box be, even if just for the advertising sake, 2.0???

Maybe they should just call it Palm Pre: Sophomore year
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Jay just called...he mumbled something that may have ended with the phrase "LOL, take care, Jay" and then all I heard was white noise. Someone go check on him please.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I just want a new updated Palm. That's all.
    Ditto! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    Jay just called...he mumbled something that may have ended with the phrase "LOL, take care, Jay" and then all I heard was white noise. Someone go check on him please.
    LMAO it is the only way to look at life! LOL, Take care, Jay
    PS. BTW I just got engaged!
    Congrats, Jay!!!!
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast