Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    People are also claiming you have to turn to homebrew for proper smartphone functionality. That's not exactly good if true.

As for apps with push notifications, even I can get that on my backwards Backflip. Also the fruit phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    People are also claiming you have to turn to homebrew for proper smartphone functionality. That's not exactly good if true.
    that's certainly a matter of opinion, but I tend to agree. I won't consider webOS up to snuff until it reaches reasonable feature parity with centro. Example would be having separate settigs for speaker volume and ringer volume. That's a huge issue for me. Othwrs would point to lack of voice dialing. Not broken promises, just features expexted in a modern smartphone. It took more than 5 years for them all to make it into PalmOS and BlackBerryOS. I'm sure they are coming for webOS soon. And if HP employees are using webOS, these items will get major visibility, IMO.
    also remember there are lots of patents and licenses around that. Microsoft and apple both have licenses with BB. I'm sure HP will do the same if needed.

here is the 'messaging' issue that everyone points to around 'push':

http://m.precentral.net/oh-mojo-messaging-service-where-art-thou
    Last edited by Workerb33; 06/20/2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Still no voice dialing?? What about in the 1.4.5 update? I think that's coming next.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't think it will because of what was said about the microphone api. But I think it should certainly be this year...

based on what they said at the dev conference, there is much goodness still ahead in 2010:

http://m.precentral.net/webos-get-mi...enty-more-fall
    Still no voice dialing?? What about in the 1.4.5 update? I think that's coming next.
    sorry I failed to post this link regarding messaging:
    http://m.precentral.net/oh-mojo-messaging-service-where-art-thou
    Ok how about just plain old app push notification, LOL? Even if they can't get Mojo going full force.

So Shazam and bar code readers don't work on webOS at this time? Those aren't exactly "mandatory" apps IMO, but they would help keep up with Apple and Google. Voice dialing however is now a smartphone staple.

phone diva is a cool name though, even if we disagree.
  9. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Get rid of the arrow in the quick launch bar so we can at least have another spot for something useful.
    The ability to have a choice on how you see your open cards. Traditional and a 3X3 grid if one wishes.
    Voice dialing.
    Visual Voice Mail.
    Last edited by END; 06/22/2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: I noticed a spelling boo-boo.
  10.    #30  
    Android has grown drastically in the past year, but then again they have Google and their billions behind it. Palm is broke yes, but they have (and are steadily losing) some of the smartest people behind it. I'm not saying Android is better, because in many ways it's broken but so is webOS. I know they're working hard behind it, but I'd rather that they didn't announce the features at all than announce them and say it's coming soon and not stick to that timeframe.

I think their Push system is genius, and I really can't wait until it comes out but they should really release an update on how it's going.

Phone Diva is right, Android does follow through but not really in a timely fashion. And since it's across a lot of phones it takes close to forever for a company to release the latest and greatest version on their product. And half the time they stop supporting their product a year in to focus on their next product just to keep up with the phone market. That is Android's biggest flaw in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I love what Palm's done with webOS so far but it's far from being usable enjoyably for a mainstream user to switch from iPhone. You know, those elitist dumb***es who can't give another phone a chance.

1:1 dragging could probably be implemented fairly easily I feel (mind you I don't actually know that), but it is a feature that would vastly improve the usability of webOS and it's such a small thing to add. You'd think they'd be on that a little harder than they are now.
  11.    #31  
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE homebrew and patches. But you are absolutely right. I couldn't use this phone without the patches. I promise I would've thrown it against a wall and switched to some other phone by now if it wasn't for the patches. But some of the patches are features that really should've come with webOS.

The mic API thing really angered me too. It took them so long to release one, and they STILL haven't released a stock voice recorder app. I think that is ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    -1 I'm not concerned, love my Pre and the homebrew community. If you're gonna buy a puppy ya gotta give it time to grow.

Total: -2 for this thread
    Cute analogy with the puppy....however if the puppy is still piddling on your floor after 18 months, you'd prolly consider taking it up with whoever you bought it from, correct?
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    No recurring tasks. I just want something to manage my tasks.
  14.    #34  
    webOS 1.4.5 was supposed to be "end of may" and it is now end of june with no official word. And it brings no major improvements (for pre at least). If this is foreshadowing how Palm is going to be going forward after the HP acquisition, I'm jumping ship come october.
    Maybe they're going to wait until the HP merger is thoroughly completed.

it is in the hands of the carriers. Patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    Cute analogy with the puppy....however if the puppy is still piddling on your floor after 18 months, you'd prolly consider taking it up with whoever you bought it from, correct?
    Palm Pre was released June 13, 2009, you must be using some kind of new math. Using my math I come up with 12 I/2 months.
    He may be considering the announcement at CES.

Release, announcement? Two different words with different meanings.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Release, announcement? Two different words with different meanings.
    Regardless, 1 year and I'll be the first to admit that it's come really really far. Just not far enough. It's sad that the hardware has been obsolete for far too long.

It saddens me that they let Apple release 2 technologically superior (hardware wise) devices since the announcement AND release of the Pre.

I'm sure they'll be coming out with new hardware by the end of the year, but for some that's not soon enough.

Another gripe is how horribly the store model devices perform as compared to my own Pre, when it's not even oc'd. They should definitely train the employees to perform regular checkups on the devices because they're losing money as well when the store models perform like ****.

They need to release a webOS update that brings major functionality to draw attention and then unveil a new device that brings even more functionality.

I think they need to maintain the App Catalog a bit better too. There are far too many useless and duplicate apps out there. And they need to take better care of the descriptions they let developers post too. Some of them are entirely useless. If it was organized a bit better that would help a lot too. I feel like it's a mess compared to Apple's and Android's.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12