Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Tried palmPre 1st day it came out.
    Loved loved loved the OS... hated the keyboard. horrid.
    Returned after a week. (Surprised me too cause Treo 650 etc had best keyboard ever!).
    Anyway ...am excited by Palms vague pronouncement of new devices and upgraded OS coming.
    My dream device would be hardware ala the HTC Evo with touchscreen only KB...with the sexy WebOS!!! Hot phone.. that would be!!!!
    C'mon PalmDevs...see the hardware trend toward larger screens and touchscreen keyboards that are faster and as accurate as qwerty.
    This would be a HOT device....no other OS's hold a candle to WebOS....but it must be encased in hardware that does it justice.
    Ugh, I don't want a 4" screen, would hate for this to become standard.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Lol...I love em...course I use it as a virtual laptop replacement!
    need keyboard,,and I am sure they will stick to a phisical keyboard. At least,im hopeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    need keyboard,,and I am sure they will stick to a phisical keyboard. At least,im hopeing.
    This
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i hope they dont change the form factor too drastically. i think most of us really like the size ... ~slightly~ larger ... okay, but i don't need a slate for a phone
    and please don't take my keyboard away.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    It would have to be a keyboard the equivalent to the 650 for me to even consider it
    But there's now a huge mobile user base (all Android and IPhone) that's found the speed advantages of touchscreen. Even tho the Palm community is a physical keyboard one... Id think they have to be considering at least a touchscreen version at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    4" is too big, something in the 3.4 to 3.7" range would be nice.
    iphone size but no larger (how did Apple figure out the "perfect size" for a phone?) and a physical keyboard. otherwise, I'll keep my Pre Plus.
    well the current pre will suit your needs just fine.
    and I love the size of the 4" screen. Thats why the manufacturers need to give us choices with more than one handset design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    iphone size but no larger (how did Apple figure out the "perfect size" for a phone?) and a physical keyboard. otherwise, I'll keep my Pre Plus.
    +1

jebusphone size is as big as I think I could stand (and I do think it falls into the brick category). Please Palm be the Wolf and NOT the sheep on this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrude432 View Post
    well the current pre will suit your needs just fine.
    Minus of course other hardware abilities, but thanks for your smart comment. The point is that if 4" becomes standard, finding anythig else with current specs will be harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    It would have to be a keyboard the equivalent to the 650 for me to even consider it
    But there's now a huge mobile user base (all Android and IPhone) that's found the speed advantages of touchscreen. Even tho the Palm community is a physical keyboard one... Id think they have to be considering at least a touchscreen version at this point.
    speed advantage? not really....

for anyone that can actually type, you cannot replace a physical keyboard with a touch keyboard. I would step out and say even with swype or whatever technology you want to use, I can out type 90%i or more of touch screen users while they look at their touchscreen and I touch type on my Pre. You will also never replace true business use with a touchscreen only keyboard, you will alienate a large user base if Palm's only current form factor was touchscreen only as well.

A touchscreen will never replace my use of physical keyboard, being able to type without looking at the phone is fundamental for me in smartphone use.
    curious how typing on the keyboard is faster when virtual? If the os lags nothing happens if the os lags and you have a physical keyboard, you still get the letters on there eventually. This of ourse is fixed with os speed, however, accuracy is much harder and doing it without looking is much harder too. Honestly if I had a portrait keyboard that was slightly bigger I'd be in texting heaven I love the portrait over all as I can type faster on my pre then I can on my moms moment. I just mess up more due to the key spacing, but I don't even have to look at the keys on my ipod touch and instinct I tokk forever too type and messed up to frequently PLUS the vkb also takes up a nice chunk of screen. I'd love to have them both (vkb when in landscape mode) but not as the primary kb. I think palm should do like dell and make three of the same basic phone with three different text entry methods (landscape, portrait and virtual) because as much as I dislike it, there should be options for others, just not at the expense of anyone
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    4" is too big, something in the 3.4 to 3.7" range would be nice.
    that's what she said
    I liked the HTC virtual keyboard on the Hero quite a bit, and also liked using Swype on the Hero. If I'm typing a simple stock phrase like "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", I can certainly do it faster on the Hero than with the physical keyboard. But in my experience, the Pre's physical keyboard is faster for "real world" typing where you're writing complex sentences using a 12th grade vocabulary. I hate the "typing aids" that come enabled by default on virtual keyboards. They don't speed me up at all. For example, the HTC compact QWERTY keyboard always thinks I meant to type "id" or "I'd" when I really want "if". I prefer the Pre keyboard because what I type is what I get; I don't want the OS getting in my way by trying to "help" me.