Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    If a >4in screen and no keyboard became the confirmed specs for the next pre, I am jumping ship to RIM or Apple. Palm can't give in to the recent fad. I would rather have a ~3.5in screen and a ~8in tablet.
    So by going to Apple you wouldn't be giving into the recent fad? If Palm came out with an all touchscreen phone like the incredible or the iphone 4 i wouldnt jump over to any other phone because in the end when all the specs match up ill choose webos over everything else.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I think I would rather have a 3.8" - 4.1" screen if and only if the bezel was kept to a minimum just like on the HTC HD2, and also a portrait slider. The only way to get devs into WebOS is to have hardware to work with/on. Would anyone rather play games on a 3.1" screen or a 3.8" screen? If they do manage to get a front-facing camera in the device, I don't think it would be very useful on anything less than 3.8" (ie iPhone). If Palm/HP manage to get a phone with a good screen size + more APIs for gaming then I see a good future for WebOS.

Another alternative would be getting something better than the Pixi (Blackberry style/look) with a 3.2" - 3.5" screen. Why not both?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    HTC Trophy, although I would prefer the screen to be a little bigger:
    http://img.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/htc/htc-trophy-1.jpg

or

Dell Lightning:
    http://img.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/dell...ightning-1.jpg
    I'm with Rockky.

Evo format would be awesome with WebOS.
    4" is perfect. It combines phones and Slate style devices in one. And in my view ELIMINATES the need for an iPad or Slate style device.
    3"-3.5" is nice but 4" is much nicer.

Several people have the Evo in my office and the screen is the same size as an entire Pre Plus phone. It's just awesome and a very impressive device.

It fits in your pocket just fine as well unless your pants are just that tight. But I'm not going there.

I love the physical keyboard, but times are a changing and onscreen as much as I dread it, is the way of the future. Gotta give some where to get in others.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVTech View Post
    I'm with Rockky.

Evo format would be awesome with WebOS.
    4" is perfect. It combines phones and Slate style devices in one. And in my view ELIMINATES the need for an iPad or Slate style device.
    3"-3.5" is nice but 4" is much nicer.

Several people have the Evo in my office and the screen is the same size as an entire Pre Plus phone. It's just awesome and a very impressive device.

It fits in your pocket just fine as well unless your pants are just that tight. But I'm not going there.

I love the physical keyboard, but times are a changing and onscreen as much as I dread it, is the way of the future. Gotta give some where to get in others.
    Totally agree. But at the same time we have to think of bringing people over to HP/Palm. We need something that other phones don't have, we can't be up to par with the competition. Yea we know how awesome webOS is, how superior their notifications and multitasking is, but not the regular Joe. They'd definitely pick a more popular device like android, or apple.
    Palm is doing a good job, imo, in Trying to get devs to get their apps on webOS, cuz that is a major selling point when it comes to other devices. People buy phones because of the plethora of apps, but end up not even downloading any. However, having that many apps helps in selling the device and getting it out there for more people to show their friends/family.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Maybe they should have one with a slider for everyone that believes they can't live wo one and one with just a virtual keyboard. I used to think that I couldn't make the transition, but I tried it for a week and I've become a fan of the virtual keyboard. Especially with good auto correct. And they definitely need to get text to speech on there. Very helpful when driving.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I wounder if it's possible to pack in a side QWERTY and a portrait QWERTY into a device?

In order for HP/Palm to get into the smartphone race, they have to make a great device with specs/hardware + update/"upgrade" WebOS to the level of iOS and Android, which also include GPU acceleration + Get devs (seminars maybe?) to like their OS, and explain the differences/good about the OS from the rest + the big one, marketing + launch on all carriers without any exclusive contracts.

Let the customer choose what carrier they want, and also let the carriers know (the hard way) which of them is the best with customers by means of who will sell the most. Right now the average joe doesn't know what 4G is and what it does compared to 3G, they don't speak the tech lingo. Some people like one carrier's 3G speeds, while others like one carrier's coverage, etc... It would be awesome if they ever got dual sim into a device, that way you could choose the "calling" carrier and the "data" carrier
    yeah I would too; i hate phones without keyboards.
    HPalm needs to release atleast 4 phones:

- A 3" pixi-like phone.
    - A 3.4 - 3.6 pre-like phone.
    - A 3.7 landscape keyboard phone.
    - A 4" slab.

I'd be awesome if all of them have the sae hardware inside, with a "normal", "plus" and "pro" version for each one, so lets say:

"Normal": 8 GB, 512mb RAM, 5 mpx camera, 1ghz processor, etc.
    "Plus": 16 GB, 512mb RAM, 8mpx camera, 1.2ghz procesor, etc.
    Pro: 32 GB, 700mb RAM, 10 mpx camera, 1.5 ghz proccesor, etc.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    HPalm needs to release atleast 4 phones:

- A 3" pixi-like phone.
    - A 3.4 - 3.6 pre-like phone.
    - A 3.7 landscape keyboard phone.
    - A 4" slab.

I'd be awesome if all of them have the sae hardware inside, with a "normal", "plus" and "pro" version for each one, so lets say:

"Normal": 8 GB, 512mb RAM, 5 mpx camera, 1ghz processor, etc.
    "Plus": 16 GB, 512mb RAM, 8mpx camera, 1.2ghz procesor, etc.
    Pro: 32 GB, 700mb RAM, 10 mpx camera, 1.5 ghz proccesor, etc.
    I really hope not, that would be suicide on their part. You do realize that Palm can't do anything money-greedy now don't you? Just because HP merged with Palm doesn't mean that Palm can just ask HP for infinite amount of money. According to what you want, each device will require a fixed amount of money to be designed for (ie different screen sizes, different storage, etc...), which Palm does not have. If that were to happen and fail, say bye-bye to Palm's smartphones. Moreover, that would bomb their App store, and drive away the devs since their apps would require to resize to whatever resolution/screen-size the devices would have.

Right now Palm has at least 1 -2 chances to show HP that their roadmap will be competitive. If they can manage to make 1 -2 (1 preferably) device/s with spectacular hardware/specs and revamp the OS, or at least show what the next big OS revision will bring, then they'll get a major boost and HP won't interfere with Palm's "vision" of smartphones. Just my 2 cents of course
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lxAMNxl View Post

Right now Palm has at least 1 -2 chances to show HP that their roadmap will be competitive. If they can manage to make 1 -2 (1 preferably) device/s with spectacular hardware/specs and revamp the OS, or at least show what the next big OS revision will bring, then they'll get a major boost and HP won't interfere with Palm's "vision" of smartphones. Just my 2 cents of course
    Yup, and that's why I think I'll wait til the "2nd Gen" HP/Palm smartphone.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    The Pixi was a bad move on their part. They were trying to fill a void where the Centro was to build their user base. What would have been better served is for them to create a virtual keyboard phone to compliment the Pre.

By adding a virtual-only style phone to their lineup, they would open their company up to a whole new array of users that will only look for that style of phone. Removing the physical keyboard would also have made the phones cheaper to make and have fewer mechanical issues. They could have used the Pre internals and bigger screen and still come out as cheap as the Pixi.

In my opinion, they need to come out with both:
    1. Pre2 with slightly larger screen.
    2. EVO style on-screen keyboard phone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12