Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-youre...-very-exciting
    ok so does this mean no new device for the rest of 2010??
    I want to know what "a new version of the OS" means... Sure, it could mean 1.4.5, but it could be something bigger.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    They are using next year in the context of OVER the next 12 months....hopefully for their sake.
    I think "the next year" means from now until a year from now.
    Even though I jumped to the EVO, this is great news...I really dont think Palm needs new hardware (though would be nice) , I really think they need APPS more....but its good to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I want to know what "a new version of the OS" means... Sure, it could mean 1.4.5, but it could be something bigger.
    1.5 is my guess, which is slated with CSS transitions, GPU acceleration, and javascript optimization.

http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by adambomb13 View Post
    Even though I jumped to the EVO, this is great news...I really dont think Palm needs new hardware (though would be nice) , I really think they need APPS more....but its good to hear.
    The vast majority would disagree with the "no new hardware" claim.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by adambomb13 View Post
    I disagree. I think Palm really needs new hardware. The Pre is over a year old (I'm counting the Plus model as well, since its basically the same thing). Palm needs to be able to compete with modern smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I think "the next year" means from now until a year from now.
    Uh, yeah. That's what "the next..." always means. As an example, consider: "I'll be busy for the next fifteen minutes." Does anyone think that means anything other than that I'll be busy starting now and then for 15 minutes after?

I literally don't know how one can take "the next year" to mean that we won't see something "for the rest of 2010." Nothing personal to the OP, but I think some folks are just looking to read something negative into every bit of Palm news that's published lately.

Okay, mini-rant over.
    Last edited by wynand32; 06/17/2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Take context for what it is.

The statement was "the next year is going to be exciting"

This is of course different from statements such as
    "After next year things are going to be exciting"
    "By next year things are going to be exciting"
    "2010 is going to be exciting"
    "A year from now things are going to get exciting"

"the next year is going to be exciting"

Palm of course hopes things have been exciting up to this point. We launched an already intuitive device and have provided many over the air updates to enhance it. So there is always more things on the plate. We are not looking to wait a year to start doing things again, we are not waiting till 2010 to start doing things then. Palm is always hard at work "the next year is going to be exciting" meaning a span of 365 days starting today, but you know what, I for one hope the next year and beyond is going to be exciting.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    1.5 is my guess, which is slated with CSS transitions, GPU acceleration, and javascript optimization.
    I'm looking forward to improved CSS transitions! I've been experimenting with them in the Top Bar... They can feel laggy sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    We are not looking to wait a year to start doing things again, we are not waiting till 2010 to start doing things then.
    I'm guessing you mean 2011, but the point is still well taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    I think "next year" means a generic reference to the future, which is purpusfully non specific. I believe it is a crafted statement that is vague. The only explicit thing said was that they annot talk about a roadmap because of HP.

for me this basically means, "yep we still do stuff, you can count on that."
    You folks really crack me up. Do you actually change phones every six months or so. I have never seen so much impatience in my entire life. Oh my God the milk is expiring on June 19th, we better throw it out and get a new gallon today
    I guess what I am saying is, I just got my Pre Plus in April, I really think I can make it another year and half, without freaking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    You folks really crack me up. Do you actually change phones every six months or so. I have never seen so much impatience in my entire life. Oh my God the milk is expiring on June 19th, we better throw it out and get a new gallon today
    It's been over a year. The Pre feels a bit outdated compared to modern smartphones...
    Ok, a whole year! Do you change your car every year, your computer your HD TV. Cmon man this is silly. Like I said I just got mine in April I could care less if Iphone has a new thing Pre does not have or if Andriod has more apps than Pre has. It is time to be a grown up at some point, relax it will all work out in the long run. Trust me!
    Ok, a whole year! Do you change your car every year, your computer your HD TV. Cmon man this is silly. Like I said I just got mine in April I could care less if Iphone has a new thing Pre does not have or if Andriod has more apps than Pre has. It is time to be a grown up at some point, relax it will all work out in the long run. Trust me!
    That's the thing... You're very new to the Pre. Once you've had it for a year or so, you kinda get tired of it. It doesn't help that other companies are coming out with amazing hardware. A smartphone has a life cycle of one year. The Pre is considered "end of life".
    You know, this is the very thing I've been thinking about reading all of the different posts. I have been wondering the same thing for the last 30 minutes or so as I've sifted through the different comments. You would think some of the people on this forum go through a phone every few months. I had my phone for almost three years before upgrading to the Pre . . . to each his or her own, I guess.
    #firstworldproblems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast