Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    In many ways, Palm is similar to Apple Computer. So why not take a leaf from their book?

In the 2000's, OS X was unveiled. It was completely different to Mac OS 9, and yet you could easily port your apps to the new system:

Carbon.

Palm, please, make a library like Carbon and integrate it into webOS 2 so developers can easily port their apps to webOS. Imagine great Palm classics like Little John Palm, the world's best mobile emulator, Palm OS games like "The Prison"... gradually those old games can replace their Palm OS code with PDK/HTML code (Cocoa anyone? ).

It would also give DataViz an excuse to port Docs to Go 11 to webOS.

Some may say "run Classic". That's possible. But that, vs native webOS apps with multitasking and all?

I personally would love the idea of LJP on webOS. Wow.
    I agree I would love to see classic integrated like pdk apps are,mabe CDK. Palm/classic could even have a section in the catalog for such apps.

we would add a few k apps in no time, and useful stuff too.
    There are four lights.
    I'm still of the opinion that HP needs to dish out some cash in order to get to get some excitement behind the app catalog. Get some of the most demanded developers and pay them to port their apps over, if thats what it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think that may have been marginally acceptable a year-and-a-half ago, but this webOS device running Palm OS apps is going up against the iPhone 4 and all sorts of Android devices.

Most Palm OS users have moved on by now. More importantly, most Palm OS developers have moved on by now. Do you really expect them to dig up their Palm OS development tools to update apps?
    I certainly don't expect them to update, but if they ran without updating the app, and you made app catalog submission free, then yes, I would expect them to submit it. I think alot of the business apps and some other apps would be welcomed in a classic format, at least temporarily.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    The point of Carbon on OS X was to give old OS 9 apps the new Aqua interface, and support for preemptive multitasking, with minimal modding to the app.

Same for Palm OS "Carbon" API. They would have the "webOS" look, with most of its code based on Palm OS, with a few mods here and there to get the thing running properly on the new platform. A user with no technical experience would not be able to tell the difference.

Let's face it, the dev would have to be way too lazy to not mod their app a bit. There's some money to be made with webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I'm still of the opinion that HP needs to dish out some cash in order to get to get some excitement behind the app catalog. Get some of the most demanded developers and pay them to port their apps over, if thats what it takes.
    Isn't that what Palm has already done with "Hot Apps" to no avail? It's the same stale selection from months ago. Check the "leaderboard" for yourself.

There is no simple way to "stop app shortage". There is an obvious way to do so, which is to manufacture, support, and heavily promote a new solidly built WebOS device with top-notch specs across at least two major domestic carriers thereby increasing sales, mindshare, and platform momentum.

But that, apparently, is far from simple or else Palm would have done it to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Isn't that what Palm has already done with "Hot Apps" to no avail? It's the same stale selection from months ago. Check the "leaderboard" for yourself.

There is no simple way to "stop app shortage". There is an obvious way to do so, which is to manufacture, support, and heavily promote a new solidly built WebOS device with top-notch specs across at least two major domestic carriers thereby increasing sales, mindshare, and platform momentum.

But that, apparently, is far from simple or else Palm would have done it to begin with.
    My idea would be different than hot apps. The first main difference is that I think Hp should go straight to the devs and hand them cash to port their apps over. The second difference is that it would be a lot more than a million dollars. Not being a dev myself, I don't know how much it would cost to port your average app over, but lets say its a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars spent in time porting over. With a few million, they could get a lot of great apps on webos.
    palm has a new PDK hot apps starting in July. With 1000$ or hp envy 17s prizes to top 400s so expect a lot of iphone apps to get ported over