Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apple sucked the wind out of Palm's sales last year by unveiling the iPhone 3Gs just after the Pre's release. Now that the iPhone 4G has been unveiled and the EVO is out there, is Palm in position over the next few months to get some publicity by announcing a release of their own?
    Depends on the hardware and how quickly they announce it. It needs to be before the 30 days on the new iphone and evo expires, in my opinion. If they do that those who went there just because there wasn't a webOS upgrade can return it and hang on, but I could be mistaken.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    @Sukiyaki,no you're not. It would happen.
    The iPhone is going to be available on the 24th and the stockholder meeting is going to be on the 25th. I can honestly see Palm announcing their plans by the end of the month, just making it in before the 30 days for the EVO and long before the iPhone's.
    Uh, HP acquisition isn't complete until the end of July, and I fully expect nothing but radio silence prior to then and then for some time afterward.

About the only offering HPalm has chance of beating to market is Windows Phone 7. Everyone else from Droid 2 and Droid Extreme to Evo4G to iPhone will have launched before a new WebOS device does.
    The acquisition may not be complete until the end of July, but assuming the vote is in approval I could see Palm leaking/releasing some teaser information confirming that they're working on a new phone, maybe giving a timeline, nothing specific though. Of course an early announcement would be even more likely if the vote turns out against the the merger.
    My question....

Lets say they have everything set to launch a new device. They decided in the last minute to change the CPU. From a kernal stand point would it take long to begin moving forward again? Would a kernal need to be recompiled? Do they need to keep the omap brand so they do not have to write 2 different version?
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    The acquisition may not be complete until the end of July, but assuming the vote is in approval I could see Palm leaking/releasing some teaser information confirming that they're working on a new phone, maybe giving a timeline, nothing specific though. Of course an early announcement would be even more likely if the vote turns out against the the merger.
    Against the merger? That's funny. I'm sure the abundance of lucrative alternatives facing Palm stakeholders makes this a distinct possibility.

In the meantime, they aren't going to do something that will screw with the stock price - and thus the deal.
    Samsung's new 4G Galaxy S Pro with a horizontal slideout keyboard just leaked on engadget. its android, but it looks like it has the SuperAMOLED screen.

add another WiMax phone to the shuffle though
    Looks nice. I dont like sliders , esspecially horizontal sliders but the specs and screen are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    Samsung's new 4G Galaxy S Pro with a horizontal slideout keyboard just leaked on engadget. its android, but it looks like it has the SuperAMOLED screen.

add another WiMax phone to the shuffle though
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    They'd need to act within the month with the announcement and within 2 months with the launch if they're to steal any thunder.

When the Pre hit it was for a while arguably one of the top 3 to 5 smart phones out there in terms of flag ship type devices. You had the iPhone, the Droid, and the Pre.

Since that point you're having launched the HD2, Nexus One, the Incredible, the EVO, with the Droid2, touch screen slide out blackberry, Shadow, Extreme, iPhone4 all launching soon with the windows 7 phones on the horizon.

The Pre barely even registers in talks of the top smart phones anymore. Sure, it has an amazing OS, but its hardware is just falling way to far behind.
    Its all Iphone vs Android now. Windows Mobile and WEB os are just not in the conversation anymore. I absolutley hate Windows Mobile but I have seen some of windows mobile 7 or whatever they call it. It looks very promising. they re-worked the entire OS from the ground up. Not saying its any good but theres atleast buzz for it. but it looks like its Android vs Iphone and anyone else is just a niche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    They'd need to act within the month with the announcement and within 2 months with the launch if they're to steal any thunder.
    Unless we're talking an unlocked GSM phone that HP plans to heavily promote and subsidize themselves (and this model has worked in America for exactly no one, mind you), this would be a pipe dream.

What carrier is going to carry even a new top notch WebOS device right now? Sprint and Verizon got burned on the last batch and are still trying to get rid of stock. AT&T JUST launched the Pre and Pixi Plus and wouldn't promote it with the iPhone 4 launching anyway. That leaves T-Mobile which is all Android, all of the time.

Even if HPalm shoehorned a new WebOS device onto one of these carriers, they are all tied up promoting either the new iPhone or other Android Hero devices for the next several months.

About the best I could see is a 4G WebOS device that Sprint would promote for the WiMax radio. But that would take time to go through carrier testing, FCC approval, and manufacturing enough stock for a launch.

Face it...there will be no thunder stolen in the foreseeable future, and it will be a relatively long time before we see new WebOS hardware launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Its all Iphone vs Android now.
    Actually, depending on how you define smartphones, RIM (and maybe Nokia?) are ahead of both of those...

But amongst the GET-THE-COOLEST-PHONE-IN-THE-US crowd, yes, it is pretty much all iphone vs. android...

Palm's plan all along was to find a niche. I assume HP is still going forward with that plan.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Ofcourse in total market of phones RIM is still tops but in the "cool Phone" crowd and public perception its Iphone and Android and nothing else. I didnt even want to consider the total market as it then is RIM, Nokia , Iphone Andorid and behind is WM and really far behind is webos.

Its hard to make money on a high retail product thats subiszized by the carriers if its just a niche product. Ofcourse HP has the money to subsidizr a Smartphone division themselves.

I am in the mobile device field. I follow the market and read alot and we have internal discussions. I feel its just a matter of time until Android ( like the OS or not ) is going to become the dominant OS in mobile devices.

Right now our devices have Windows Mobile and believe it or not Palm OS 3.5 and 4.1 . We internally discussed using Iphones but that was not going anywhere. But the possiblilty of Andorid on our mobile devices is real and we figure the future. Myself and alot in our community dont see anything to stop Android from dominating. the strategy of putting it on every phone under the sun while fragmenting the OS has been ingenious. They ofcourse need to figure out how to stop the fragmentation but thats the carriers issues really.

Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Actually, depending on how you define smartphones, RIM (and maybe Nokia?) are ahead of both of those...

But amongst the GET-THE-COOLEST-PHONE-IN-THE-US crowd, yes, it is pretty much all iphone vs. android...

Palm's plan all along was to find a niche. I assume HP is still going forward with that plan.
    new Motorola Droid X shown on Engadget with a HUGE screen. Verizon's answer to the EVO, but without the 4G/LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    UAbout the best I could see is a 4G WebOS device that Sprint would promote for the WiMax radio. But that would take time to go through carrier testing, FCC approval, and manufacturing enough stock for a launch.
    Hate to burst your tirade, but there have been plenty of rumors that Sprint is currently testing the next-gen WebOS device and rumored to be equipped with 4G.

Sprint wants the next device to be 4G to expand the market for its WIMAX publicity. Sprint also wants to keep those Pre/Pixi owners to stay on their network.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    new Motorola Droid X shown on Engadget with a HUGE screen. Verizon's answer to the EVO, but without the 4G/LTE
    But with a lovely OMAP3640 (Engadget reported it as OMAP3630).

OMAP3640 > Snapdragon. Too bad Android doesn't really utilize 3D animations or games to fully use the beastly GPU's in these chipsets.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Hate to burst your tirade, but there have been plenty of rumors that Sprint is currently testing the next-gen WebOS device and rumored to be equipped with 4G.

Sprint wants the next device to be 4G to expand the market for its WIMAX publicity. Sprint also wants to keep those Pre/Pixi owners to stay on their network.
    I'm sorry, but did you just "burst my tirade" by quoting me and agreeing with pretty much every word I said? Bizarre...

Whether it's real or not, I'd love to see a 4G WebOS handset with much better build quality and screen size on Sprint ASAP, but as I said...it will take time. As I also said, I think it's the only feasible option for HPalm in the immediate future.

When you have no relationship or offerings on T-Mobile, a crappy relationship with Verizon, and have just launched product on AT&T, the process of elimination makes it easy to guess where you are heading next.

Whether this imminent mystery handset is real or not, it will steal NO thunder from iPhone or any other smartphone. Well, the original Pre, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I missed all these rumors. Can you point me to a link please?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast