Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else think this is getting a bit ridiculous? Its been what, almost 2 years, since a major revision of the hardware? WE NEED SOME LEAKS!
  2. #2  
    I thought it's only 1 yr since pre came out,,like one yr a week ago or something.
  3. BigGP's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #3  
    It's been just barely over one year since the original Palm Pre release. I'm sure Palm knows they need to get new hardware out this year in order to stay in this business. I'm sticking with webOS for at least this year, partly cause I got mine in October and can't replace till then anyway, and partly because webOS is simply that good. I hear too many stories about switchers not being satisfied with Android after being on WebOS.
  4. #4  
    almost 2yrs,,lol that's a strech.
  5. #5  
    Little bit of an exaggeration wont make Palm release a new hardware. Its being a year and a couple of days, i think. Whenever the new Palm hardware gets out, im not going to purchase it till about 2 months after anyway. And no need for another new hardware thread. Just saying....
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    almost 2yrs,,lol that's a strech.
    haha point taken, i admit i didn't really check my facts before i posted, but i think you got the general idea: it's been a while
  7. #7  
    It's been only one year but it's still frustrating. Right now my Sprint Pre is absolutely perfect except for one thing, not enough memory. The Too Many Cards errors are maddening on an otherwise wonderful device. If I could only get a Pre Plus on Sprint with its 16GB of memory and 512MB of RAM, it would be absolutely perfect for me.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    It's been only one year but it's still frustrating. Right now my Sprint Pre is absolutely perfect except for one thing, not enough memory. The Too Many Cards errors are maddening on an otherwise wonderful device. If I could only get a Pre Plus on Sprint with its 16GB of memory and 512MB of RAM, it would be absolutely perfect for me.
    You should really try the experimental compcache enabled kernel
  9. #9  
    It's been pointed out multiple times that Palm won't release info on any new hardware until after the HP acquisition is completed. The chance of getting any substantive leaks is similarly remote. The earliest we're likely to hear anything is August. It's frustrating, but there it is.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

    ...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
  10. #10  
    I will admit I can not wait to see the pre 2,,,but,,i still love this phone,dont care what the other phones have,,still continue to wow my friends and family with the things I do with this device, and when the new hardware gets here,then yippie!!!!!!,until then,no biggie for me.
  11. #11  
    In fairness to the OP, it's been ~18 months, well over a year, since the Pre had a new design. It hasn't changed appreciably since the 9 Jan 2009 CES announcement.
  12. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #12  
    While two years is a stretch, it has been a year and a half since it was revealed and the specs were released. While it may have only been available to the public for a year the point at which it is announced and the specs are made known is generally when it enters into the combined minds of the population and when you are generally going to start working in regards to how top of the line or obsolete it is.

    One of the things the Pre has going against it is the fact it WASN'T top of the line in regards to specs when it came out. 8 Gigs of memory was not top of the line. 256 megs of RAM was not top of the line. HVGA with 320x480 was not top of the line. 3.5 mega pixel for the camera was not top of hte line.

    Hardware wise the Pre was a mid-level device. Yes, WebOS was leaps and bounds better as a core OS than anything else out there but the hardware itself was lacking for a flagship phone the moment it hit the market.

    Now it looks downright ancient compared to some of the advances that have happened.

    If Palm could potentially pull an iPhone and make the announcement concerning the new specs at the beginning of a month and sell the phone at the end of the month, then they'll be okay. However if we're going to have another situation where the hardware gets announced in January and we're waiting until June to buy it then we will be hitting that 2 year mark for actual life, and 2 and a 1/2 year mark of being within the collective minds of smart phone users.

    While a year and a half of known existance may not seem long its ancient in a smart phone world where the iPhone gets decent upgrades to its build yearly and android phones are streaming out every 3 to 6 months with big improvements.
  13. #13  
    I think it's incredibly unlikely that we'd see an announcement in January followed by a release six months later. What caused all of that initial delay was getting WebOS in a semi-releasable beta form. The hardware was essentially baked and finished at the time of announcement, and really only needed to get past a few rough initial production runs.

    Neither of these would be a factor for HP, just having acquired a more mature WebOS and having a huge manufacturing capacity at their disposal along with lots of money.

    That being said, I don't see them rushing to get new hardware out. Their priority for WebOS is clearly not in smartphones and no carriers are particularly seeing benefits from WebOS right now. Sprint's publicly dissed it and moved on to EVO. Verizon...'nuff said. AT&T is all about the iPhone 4 for the foreseeable future. T-Mobile is in the midst of launching a number of new Android devices.

    I think even with all of their money, HPalm is going to have to wait for the weather to change a bit in order to launch a new WebOS device.
  14. #14  
    +1

    Agree , I think they keep updating webos for the Pre Plus for the time being and they will release a new webos phone when they feel its a good time.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think it's incredibly unlikely that we'd see an announcement in January followed by a release six months later. What caused all of that initial delay was getting WebOS in a semi-releasable beta form. The hardware was essentially baked and finished at the time of announcement, and really only needed to get past a few rough initial production runs.

    Neither of these would be a factor for HP, just having acquired a more mature WebOS and having a huge manufacturing capacity at their disposal along with lots of money.

    That being said, I don't see them rushing to get new hardware out. Their priority for WebOS is clearly not in smartphones and no carriers are particularly seeing benefits from WebOS right now. Sprint's publicly dissed it and moved on to EVO. Verizon...'nuff said. AT&T is all about the iPhone 4 for the foreseeable future. T-Mobile is in the midst of launching a number of new Android devices.

    I think even with all of their money, HPalm is going to have to wait for the weather to change a bit in order to launch a new WebOS device.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    +1

    Agree , I think they keep updating webos for the Pre Plus for the time being and they will release a new webos phone when they feel its a good time.
    Hey, us normal Pre owners get updates too. http://www.choorp.com/palmpre/emotic...icking_out.png

    If anything, it looks like we'll be getting the update first since Verizon is always slow to release and AT&T said they didn't want 1.4.5 yet. No word yet on how long AT&T will hold 1.4.5 from its customers... http://www.choorp.com/palmpre/emoticons/emo_im_sad.png
  16. #16  
    Sorry I call all Pres Pluses now. And I own a regular Pre myself not a Plus.

    The fragmentation of webos is starting a bit. you will have different versions on different devices. And whats up with Verizon . they dont want there customers to get updates??
    Just another example of how the carriers cause all this fragmentation.

    AT&T seems to be embracing the Pre I thought. I have a feeliing that the loss of Iphone exclusivity in 2011 ( to TMobile I last read) might be causing AT&T to want to partner with HP on WEB OS devices . Could be the Perfect carrier for a new WEB OS phone. Look what they (and apple) did with Iphone. A GSM webos phone might be the kick in the pants that webos needs.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Sorry I call all Pres Pluses now. And I own a regular Pre myself not a Plus.

    The fragmentation of webos is starting a bit. you will have different versions on different devices. And whats up with Verizon . they dont want there customers to get updates??
    Just another example of how the carriers cause all this fragmentation.

    AT&T seems to be embracing the Pre I thought. I have a feeliing that the loss of Iphone exclusivity in 2011 ( to TMobile I last read) might be causing AT&T to want to partner with HP on WEB OS devices . Could be the Perfect carrier for a new WEB OS phone. Look what they (and apple) did with Iphone. A GSM webos phone might be the kick in the pants that webos needs.
    From what I read, 1.4.5 should be released very soon. Verizon has a history of being slow to release updates to their customers, so it may take longer for them.

    AT&T is the carrier that wants to wait a bit before releasing an update.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.

Posting Permissions