1.    #1  
    This has got to be the best thing that ever happened!
    never be tied down to your workstation checking your email every five minutes
    i went on download.com and found an email forwarding utility.
    it sits in the system tray, checks my email every 1 minute, if it finds any it will forward it to me SMS (619mynumber@mobile.mycingular.net) and since i get unlimited # of SMS messages for free (Thank my sis for signing up with Cingular a year ago) i never have to logon to my email to just check it again.

This way, i dont waste my minutes doing the wireless internet thing...

One thing sux is the message limitation though of 160 charactes. i hate it when it truncates messages and bombards you with 7 or so messages ALL AT ONCE one after another.

Is there a way to lift this limitation?
    Originally posted by [WHOCARES]
    This has got to be the best thing that ever happened!
    never be tied down to your workstation checking your email every five minutes
    i went on download.com and found an email forwarding utility.
    it sits in the system tray, checks my email every 1 minute, if it finds any it will forward it to me SMS (619mynumber@mobile.mycingular.net) and since i get unlimited # of SMS messages for free (Thank my sis for signing up with Cingular a year ago) i never have to logon to my email to just check it again.

This way, i dont waste my minutes doing the wireless internet thing...

One thing sux is the message limitation though of 160 charactes. i hate it when it truncates messages and bombards you with 7 or so messages ALL AT ONCE one after another.

Sure, run procmail on your server (UNIX based) and setup a procmail recipe to truncate the messages as it forwards it out the door. Also, the method doesn't care if your PC crashes or is even turned on.

BTW, it appears that ALL Cingular customers get unlimited incoming SMS that originate from email; I've been with Cingular for 4 months and none of the tons of messages I send to @mobile.mycingular.net show up on my bill.
    Originally posted by [WHOCARES]

Yeah ... it's called e-mail.

Gary
    I couldn't agree with you more Gary. SMS is called Short Messaging Service for a reason. It is not designed to be a full blown email client.

Originally posted by Gary G. Little

Yeah ... it's called e-mail.

Gary
  5.    #5  
    you guys are just hating.
    stop with the stupid criticizm!
    i know what sms is. i just wanted to know if there was a way to lift the limitation ALRIGHT?

Thanks!
    So who's hating? Somebody hates you because we disagree with you? Childish ...

If you remove the limitation, you no longer have SMS ... you have E-MAIL. It's like removing the engine of a Corvette and replacing it with a Saturn 5. Boy ... it'll go REALLY fast ... but it sucks when it corners.

Gary
    you can suck it up and get a better service contract, like 1000 anytime minutes...
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little

If you remove the limitation, you no longer have SMS ... you have E-MAIL. It's like removing the engine of a Corvette and replacing it with a Saturn 5. Boy ... it'll go REALLY fast ... but it sucks when it corners.

Gary
    i guess your right. i really didnt think about that part.
    hey its too early in the morning .. (YAWN)
    Originally posted by sgruby
    BTW, it appears that ALL Cingular customers get unlimited incoming SMS that originate from email; I've been with Cingular for 4 months and none of the tons of messages I send to @mobile.mycingular.net show up on my bill.
    Very interesting. I have some testing to do. I have not yet signed up for an SMS plan and if e-mail based SMS messages are indeed free, I won't need to sign up. I am only planning on using SMS to receive status messages from our servers, or via the web page I set up that our staff can send me messages via (e-mail based).
    Originally posted by sgruby
    Quoting my current billing statement... looks like this is changing...

"Text Messaging

Effective September 15, 2002, you may be charged for incoming text messages that you receive on your handset regardless of whether the messages are read or unread, solicited or unsolicited. The charge will be consistent with the terms for text messaging service under your wireless service agreement, but prior to September 15 you have not received charges for these messages. For additional information you can visit www.cingular.com, or call 611 from your wireless phone. You may remove the text messaging feature at any time by calling 611 from your wireless phone."