1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I doubt this will be an issue!

Take care, Jay

Merger Malaise: Will Palm Phones Get Updates?
    By James Kendrick Jun. 10, 2010, 9:07am CDT

Merger Malaise: Will Palm Phones Get Updates?

In the rapid-paced smartphone space platform updates are a big selling point for phones and a concern for existing phone customers. Platforms need updates to add features and squash bugs and customers are often watching and waiting for the next version to get released. Palm Pre and Pixi owners may be wondering about future updates to the webOS platform, given the looming takeover of Palm by HP (s hpq). The “merger” won’t take place for a few months but it’s reasonable to think the webOS development effort at Palm is in a wait and see mode. HP is going to control things soon, and that’s not a good climate for near-term advancement of the webOS platform.
    HP didn’t allay any concerns current Palm customers have with the initial statement by CEO Mark Hurd that HP “didn’t buy Palm to be in the smartphone business.” Smartphones like the Pre and Pixi were not even mentioned by HP about the forward plans for the webOS platform. HP quickly back-pedaled and cleared up the confusion by the statement, and stated that smartphones did play a future role in HP’s webOS effort.

It is a legitimate question given lack of solid information about HP’s plans for the platform, and Palm’s current flux waiting for the takeover to happen– will there be any future updates for the Palm Pre and Pixi? No one involved wants to go on record to address this, but all parties involved make it clear that it is “business as usual”, implying that future versions of webOS will appear for existing customers at some point. That’s not the same as it actually happening, though.

Palm hasn’t set the smartphone world on fire with massive sales of its handsets, but there are thousands of webOS phone owners affected by the merger. It doesn’t help matters that Palm has already seen some key webOS developers leave the company prior to the HP merger being finalized. There are also some major telcos with a stake in this situation.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think 1.4.5 will at least be released on schedule (its already with carriers). After the merger goes through, I am sure HP will have some sort of bean-counter encouraging less frequent updates.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I think 1.4.5 will at least be released on schedule (its already with carriers). After the merger goes through, I am sure HP will have some sort of bean-counter encouraging less frequent updates.
    Hi, I think it will be the other way around. They will want Palm to have webOS, offering the same if not more features, than Apple. So I think they will do, what needs to be done! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I agree. I like generally like these guys, but there are some really nasty, poorly researched digs in there against Palm. Note that he says "there are thousands of webos phone users affected by the merger," as if to say, "not millions like with real handsets, but a few thousand people did manage to buy them." Surely there are over 1 million webos handsets out there by now. Rubs me the wrong way.

He also fails to mention that webos users have gotten OTA updates at an unprecedented rate for the smartphone industry, and that there haven't yet been any indicators whatsoever that that will stop. Surely the rumors of the impending 1.4.5 release would have been available to him as well.

So when you get right down to it, this is just poor reporting. But frankly, I'm so encouraged to see Palm mentioned at all, even in a somewhat dim light, that I'm still appreciative of the article. Many smartphone articles don't even mention Palm.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5.    #5  
    Hi, I have come to the conclusion that most of these on line reporters are short on correct facts. Take care, Jay
    Everything is speculation until after July 31st. Until then nothing will be factual.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo1024 View Post
    Everything is speculation until after July 31st. Until then nothing will be factual.
    hi, That's not too far off, we can all manage to wait...albiet I am chomping at the bit...take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Surely there are over 1 million webos handsets out there by now.
    Definitely more than 1 million, going by their quarterly results (not sure how many were actually sold though - they always show sell-throughs in the quarterly reports)
    Why do people keep calling this a merger? It's not a merger; it's a buyout.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Why do people keep calling this a merger? It's not a merger; it's a buyout.
    HI, you are 101% correct! I know I have slipped and used the M word instead of the B word! LOL, take care, Jay
    For a moment there, I thought I had slipped into an alternate dimension where Palm and HP were on equal footing. I have even seen Ruby quoted as calling it a merger. Someone should slip him a memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, I have come to the conclusion that most of these on line reporters are short on correct facts.
    Ha ha! Are they long on incorrect facts?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ha ha! Are they long on incorrect facts?
    Hi,

You said it! They make it up as they go along! It must be similar to how they write supermarket tabloids! LOL.

Take care, Jay
    These people are journalists not reporters, they really are not concerned about printing the facts but are more interested in getting people to notice/read their articles. That's why their articles are based purely on speculation and false statements.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    These people are journalists not reporters, they really are not concerned about printing the facts but are more interested in getting people to notice/read their articles. That's why their articles are based purely on speculation and false statements.
    Hi, I think you are giving them far to much credit in even calling them journalists....LOL! Take care, Jay
    I hope so, still so much potential. Since WebOS is a 'new' development, there is no reason they can't upgrade the base with the Palm Pre in preparation for their next major release of a new product.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ian410 View Post
    I hope so, still so much potential. Since WebOS is a 'new' development, there is no reason they can't upgrade the base with the Palm Pre in preparation for their next major release of a new product.
    Thank you, you summed it up perfectly! Take care, Jay