Yeah, by the time Pre ever release their next generation Pre phone, there will be 2GHz Android phone. So guess what, if it releases on Verizon, I'll bet Verizon sales people will push for 2GHz Motorola Droid.
    Nobody wants that crap. Probably gonna suck a crapload of power too. We want a 800mhz/1ghz dual core.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    Nobody wants that crap. Probably gonna suck a crapload of power too. We want a 800mhz/1ghz dual core.
    Nobody wants it? Hmmm, let's see how much they will sell after they release that beast.
    It's just the natural progression with tech I suppose, but what the heck are we planning to do with our phones that would require more and more horsepower - after effects video editing and rendering? auto cad??

I'm cool with a 1ghz processor but with more internal OS memory.

Ok, who am I kidding. Give me a 3ghz processor already!!! hahaha
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    The processor speed will be irrelevant if HPalm can nail hardware-accelerating the entire UI. It has a great GPU. It sits dormant except for certain PDK games. It's beyond pointless.

Throwing more hardware at the problem is a short-term solution at best. If they're going to launch soon, we'll probably see a 750-900mhz Cortex chip like the one on the Droid 2 launching this summer. Optimize for that Cortex architecture and utilize that GPU. Slap on a great display of 3.6-3.7 inches. Boom. Done.
    asumming webOS can take advantage of dual core for multitasking, I would rather have dual core 800mhz than the single core 2ghz any day.

I don't think I will be upgrading until dual-core is a reality.
    This is kind of the golden age of mobile computing - we have powerful devices, but there is still so much potential for them to become way more powerful. Bring on the future
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    yes, for all who don't understand. Dual core procs should be more focused on to lower power consumption and efficiency with multitasking. I think the current problem is that dual core procs at this level will still drain the battery quickly. Anyone to agree/disagree? I haven't checked the latest arm procs
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    asumming webOS can take advantage of dual core for multitasking, I would rather have dual core 800mhz than the single core 2ghz any day.

I don't think I will be upgrading until dual-core is a reality.
    All things being equal power consumption, bus speed, etc... I'll take the 2ghz. I would guess in most cases it will perform better than a 2x800mhz.
    Mark me down for a dual core of at least 800Mhz...scalable if possible. Assign one core to telephony and the other to applications. And more more thing...I would rather have 1GB of RAM than a 2Ghz processor.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I'd be satisfied with 1.2Ghz cpu and a battery that will last all day with heavy use.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    This ^

2GHz single core is TOTALLY over kill. For that much power, I want a dual core so the CPUs can scale and have better battery life.
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    yes, for all who don't understand. Dual core procs should be more focused on to lower power consumption and efficiency with multitasking. I think the current problem is that dual core procs at this level will still drain the battery quickly. Anyone to agree/disagree? I haven't checked the latest arm procs
    last I read, the dual core procs from TI are actually faster and consume less power. I agree multi-core is the way, but we still need at least 1Ghz. 1.5 would be nice with dual core, and if they utilize the GPU that would be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    All things being equal power consumption, bus speed, etc... I'll take the 2ghz. I would guess in most cases it will perform better than a 2x800mhz.
    And you would be wrong.

The advantages multithreading, out of order instructions, more advanced pipelining, etc. outweigh pure clock speed almost every time, as long as the OS is optimized to take advantage of it.

RISC chips are so 2003.
    At the pace technology is advancing, my next phone will most likely out perform my current laptop, which is no slouch.

I wonder if this 2ghz moto phone is the rumored shadow
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Considering the current WebOS runs fairly well with 800MHz single core and 256MB of RAM, I'd rather get a dual core processor with 800-900MHz and 512 to 1024MB of RAM. Most WebOS functions can be handled on 1 core so activate the second on a demand basis. Maybe even dedicate it to PDK type apps only.

AMD and later Intel proved GHz doesn't mean anything in terms of efficiency. For example a processor running 800MHz but can divide a number in 5 clock cycles outperforms a 2GHz processor that does the same calculation in 100 clock cycles. (A grossly weighted example).

Here's the example in conditional form:
    1&#x2f;800MHz &#x2a; 5 cycles < 1&#x2f;2000MHz &#x2a; 100 cycles - Wolfram|Alpha
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3