1.    #1  
    hmmm

seeing all this talk of a potential new palm device, HP ceo's conflicting comments, HP's past experience with smartphones using windows, and the exodus of some of palm's execs, has me wondering...hp will def be in the smartphone business, but isn't it possible that it will be based on windows mobile 7 series? If I recall, hp was considered a launch partner for microsoft's new OS. And hp has a strong corporate presence, hand in hand with microsoft...so, again the role of webOS in HP's plans becomes muddy. Is it possible to overlay webOS on top of windows mobile, ala HTC sense? Microsoft stated it would not allow tweaking of it's user interface but that it will help OEMs differentiate their devices by building custom software for each.
    things just seem very muddy. I know someone somewhere has a plan for this merger, just wish jon rubenstein or hp's executives would shed better light on what exactly will the role of webOS be on SMARTPHONES, never mind tablets and printers and the like. Will webOS be the primary OS on whatever smartphone hp comes out with in the future? I love the OS, and want to use it on phones for a long time.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    hp will def be in the smartphone business, but isn't it possible that it will be based on windows mobile 7 series?
    No. That would be moronic.

Is it possible to overlay webOS on top of windows mobile, ala HTC sense? Microsoft stated it would not allow tweaking of it's user interface but that it will help OEMs differentiate their devices by building custom software for each.
    You answered your own question - not allowed. Plus, any attempt of putting webOS "on top" of windows phone would be a programming challenge, a UI mess, and add little value to consumers. What would be the point?

The question is not which OS HP would use for a smartphone. It's IF they will bother putting real effort into producing decent smartphones at all.
    It would make no sense for HP to spend as much as they are buying Palm and webOS just to turn around and pay for Windows Phone 7. If they make and push smartphones (and I hope they do) they will be running webOS. Why have an in house OS is you're not going to use it?
  4.    #4  
    I was just asking general questions. I am not a programmer so have no clue about overlaying webOS on top of anything,which is why I asked. But I do know hp is a corporate powerhouse along with microsoft and that they were a launch partner for the new windows OS. They have mentioned how webOS will help them link all their small interconnected devices, yet they may be a launch partner for windows mobile. Like I said it's all confusing and all I want to know is, is webOS gonna be their primary OS running Smartphones? I just wish that would be clarified by some of the execs...not asking when their next smartphone will come out or what specs it will have. I'm sure there is a new palm device in the works and it will be announced at sometime in the near future once hp officially takes over. I tried using my old palm OS and windows mobile devices recently to access some old info and it was absolutely hilarious as I tried to swipe away pages and use universal search. Kinda like switching cars that has the shift on the steering wheel vs between the front seats
    web os worth it it for the patents/technology (Tablets, HP touch pcs) and all the peripherals that will be coming out on everything.

as to the phones, it would not surprise me at all if HP is hedging their bets - may well launch a WIN7 phone and an OS phone and see which does best. CONSUMER RULES.

PALM had web os and win 6.1 at the same time.

If win7 crashes and burns they have os
    If new webOS phone rocks the consumer world - webos carries on in the phone world
    If webos does not, then it should be easy to keep OS on as a niche product and have it one day reignite its former glory ...

I see phones as more like browsers in the future, players will move up and down and there will be room for newcomers. Chrome, IE, Opera, FireFox ...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I was just asking general questions. I am not a programmer so have no clue about overlaying webOS on top of anything,which is why I asked.
    Again, what would be the point, from a consumer point of view? Both UI's are pretty elegant, but in totally different ways that would just be confusing together with no real advantage.

I do know hp is a corporate powerhouse along with microsoft and that they were a launch partner for the new windows OS.
    Windows OS is not windows phone. And Google was a "launch partner" on the original iPhone. HTC once made a windows mobile treo for palm. "Partnering" on marketing or making one product often has very little bearing on future products.

all I want to know is, is webOS gonna be their primary OS running Smartphones?
    yes

I just wish that would be clarified by some of the execs...
    Aside from occasional CEO guffaws, you aren't likely to see a lot of comments out of HP or Palm execs until the acquisition is finalized. I suppose Palm could announce a new device before then, but I doubt that will happen.

On the other hand, an unofficial leak of some sort would be quite nice during this very dry time in the world of Palm news...