1.    #1  
    Rumor: Executive Exodus From Palm Following HP Deal

Back in April when HP bought Palm, we spoke with HP Senior Vice President of Strategy and Corporate Development, Brian Humphries, who made it clear that the acquisition was about webOS. “Our intent is to double down on webOS,” is exactly what he said. Palm’s intellectual property was another key part of the deal, we were told. Downplayed was the role Palm employees would play after the merger — including key Palm executives. Now we may know why.

A number of Palm’s Senior Vice Presidents appear to be out there door, some of their own accord, and some not, we’re hearing from a couple of sources. This may not be that surprising considering how many had left in recent months (and most recently two key webOS guys had), but HP did say in April that they had put thought into how to retain key members of Palm’s team. All that thinking apparently hasn’t paid off based on what we’re hearing now.

The timetable for the exits isn’t yet clear, but it should be soon. Also not entirely clear is just which executives are leaving and which are staying. But from what we’re told, it will be more clear than ever that HP didn’t buy Palm for the management team.

One wild card in this remains Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein. Before the HP deal, we heard rumors he may be out — those turned out to be not true, perhaps because his former employer, HP, was buying his company. Immediately after the acquisition, HP’s press release stated that Rubinstein expected to remain with the company. But when we asked, Humphries wouldn’t say exactly what Rubinstein’s role with HP would be. It’s not clear if he’s going to be one of the executives leaving HP now as well.

We’ve reached out to HP for comment, but have yet to hear back. Stay tuned for more information as we get it.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Sounds made up -- Speculative. Further, it's kind of hard to respect the views of an author with poor grammar.
    I find The Crunch to be hit and miss.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    The SVPs really aren't anything to get too excited about. It's not like Palm was a well run company. OTOH If more senior technical people leave, that will be a problem.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The SVPs really aren't anything to get too excited about. It's not like Palm was a well run company. OTOH If more senior technical people leave, that will be a problem.
    Agreed, VPs will leave because they will essentially be getting a demotion and probably less lucrative deals and pay to match. VPs and even managers like to take credit for development or the "idea" of something their team has done well but in actuality probably didn't contribute very much beyond yammering over some Metrics and somehow convincing those above him to give his project more $. (Dilbert is surprisingly accurate in this regard.) I'd be more worried about hearing Level 2/3 Software Engineers "Jim" and "Bob" from Sr. VP Joe's Linux Kernal Development team has left for Google. (Level 2 and 3 constitutes 3-6 years engineering work experience in my company). I'd worry more since they're the ones who actually wrote the for/while/if statements in the end product.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    If Ruby leaves then that would be bad news. HP really needs to secure the core engineers and software guys that created webos, otherwise the "brain trust" that created the platform will be gone and that would be a bad thing. Furthermore I really hope Palm isn't absorbed completely absorbed into the corporate ether or HP. I really hope the retain the Palm brand and keep the acquisition as an independent subsidiary somehow...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Furthermore I really hope Palm isn't absorbed completely absorbed into the corporate ether or HP. I really hope the retain the Palm brand and keep the acquisition as an independent subsidiary somehow...
    I think that is unlikely. The departure of a large number of senior execs during a merger suggests assimilation is the plan. I wonder if the Palm brand will remain. I haven't seen too many Compaq devices recently.
    Well, the creator of the 'Notification System' is a big deal in my opinion.

And he's going back to Apple, and what do you think Apple will get and HP/Palm will loose?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Agreed, VPs will leave because they will essentially be getting a demotion and probably less lucrative deals and pay to match. VPs and even managers like to take credit for development or the "idea" of something their team has done well but in actuality probably didn't contribute very much beyond yammering over some Metrics and somehow convincing those above him to give his project more $. (Dilbert is surprisingly accurate in this regard.) I'd be more worried about hearing Level 2/3 Software Engineers "Jim" and "Bob" from Sr. VP Joe's Linux Kernal Development team has left for Google. (Level 2 and 3 constitutes 3-6 years engineering work experience in my company). I'd worry more since they're the ones who actually wrote the for/while/if statements in the end product.
    Ding ding ding. We have a winnah!

The senior management of Palm cannot reasonably claim to have done a great job, so it's hard to make a case that they deserve to keep their jobs anyway.

The question is whether the "exodus" represents a brain drain, and my suspicion is that it does not, to any great degree.

No matter what the guy's LinkedIn profile says, SeniorVPs don't write code.
    True or not, I wouldn't be surpised. Following any large merger like this there are LOTS of redundancies and people are much more likely to take a new job rather than be demoted or take a pay cut.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    No matter what the guy's LinkedIn profile says, SeniorVPs don't write code.
    That depends on the company and the SVP.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Well, the creator of the 'Notification System' is a big deal in my opinion.

And he's going back to Apple, and what do you think Apple will get and HP/Palm will loose?

Rob
    Apple will get a guy that knows how to copy webOS notifications system (what a great deal) and Palm looses the guy who that created the notification system that webOS will continue using.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Apple will get a guy that knows how to copy webOS notifications system (what a great deal) and Palm looses the guy who that created the notification system that webOS will continue using.
    Correct ... Sort of. HP WebOS will be stuck with a circa 2008 notification system while Apple will have the brain trust to take notifications into future generations of devices.