1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Since the Iphone 4 will have a gyroscope...do you think that the Pre II, will have one as well????? I understand that game software, for it's use has yet to be written....

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    With the advent of Palm attempting to make things easier for iphone developers to port their apps to WebOS, palm and HP may be forced to bring the gyroscope to continue the ease for iphone developers.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me why a gryoscope needs to be in the phone. What purpose does it have.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  5.    #5  
    Hi all,

After I wrote the question, I started to think about it....MY WONDERFUL DAD, (WHO PASSED AWAY 6 YEARS AND I MISS HIM SO).

(My Dad was was an tool and die engineer, for Ideal Toy company, (they are no longer in business. However, he designed such games as mouse trap, Mr. Machine, the internal workings of the Rubix cube and the packaging for all of them).

I started thinking about the lengths, Ideal used , to prevent internal espionage. The world of smart phone design is small and I wouldn't be surprised if Palm already knew, of the Gyro and had on in their design as well

Take care, Jay.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me why a gyroscope needs to be in the phone. What purpose does it have.
    Hi,

It has no purpose NOW. However, Apple installed the Gyro for the gaming industry, for yet to be developed gaming software!

take care, Jay
    I think it is really no secret that the company can use gyroscopes. It is just a bussiness thing and everything is about their own benefit (or of the stockholders). So, what are the invest cost and how much more can be sold with this new feature? Apple is a little bit more brave, but they can afford it, because they are Apple

Secondly it is about implementation and software: Do they have the people and are the programmers able to write SW for the new feature? (Not their own SW-engineers, but the external ones).

Keda

edit: the same thing (why it is needed in a smartphone) people asked because of orientation sensors e.g. If it will be not there no one cares, but when it is implemented they'll figure s.th. out. Of course it is also for the game industry (wii), but you can also imagine to enhance navigation systems or to write unlock-codes in the air (signature). Don't be so closed-minded.
    Last edited by Lukeda; 06/10/2010 at 09:50 AM.
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me why a gryoscope needs to be in the phone. What purpose does it have.
    Provide features and innovative applications and use will come...the more the better. Same with cameras, PIMs accelerometers....people will find/develop usefulness.
    The gyroscope better detects turning of the device. The accelerometer can detect some motions, but it is very week at detecting axial rotation. This will allow for Wii-mote (motion-plus) type functionality.

This way your phone can always know which way is up no matter how you turn it. An accelerometer detects change in position while a gyro can detect position without change.
    Explorigin Software - Home of Simple Shop, your easy, free shopping list app.
    While the gyro would be nice, I really would like to have a digital compass. (Along with the video capture API comming soon) This would make augmented reality apps a possibility on the platform (note that a gyro could help there too).
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    While the gyro would be nice, I really would like to have a digital compass. (Along with the video capture API comming soon) This would make augmented reality apps a possibility on the platform (note that a gyro could help there too).
    They could do AR without "video capture" ... just need camera API's...but I think that's what you meant...
  12.    #12  
    hi, I would prefer a zoom camera with much better lens and senor! Take care, Jay