Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

Until now, I don't really get what hp's next step and I guess neither the public.
    Whatever there will be slate , another smartphone, smart printer...or not they said, confused is what hp led us to be.

Is it due to there is a big thing palm and hp are going to launch and due to they are not technically one single company make hp difficult to present to the public?
    I think it's due to the fact that the merger hasn't actually happened yet and there are limits on what either company can say without getting into trouble with regulators...

patience.
    Probably a printer/toaster combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by ian410 View Post
    Can it send faxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Can it send faxes?
    too many pieces of toast error?
    Multi-touch toaster just sounds dangerous...
    how about a multi touch blender !!! wow scary !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I just love how HP says "many connected devices" and everybody thinks kitchen appliances.

Why?

Is it too hard to think about interconnected phones, slates, TVs, Stereos, Car infotainment products, and so on?

But no, the Palm Pessimism Catastrophe Force and its Switch Now Cause The Future Sucks division only comes up with webOS blenders, fridges, showerheads and toilet seats.

HP has plans with webOS, and they're big plans (otherwise the big investment makes no sense; again, the Palm Pessimism Catastrophe Force will argue that exactly this is the case: HP are idiots as evidenced by their buying of Palm, and their gibbering idiocy will end in self-destruction). I don't even think they're keeping mum because of regulations, I think there's a lot of business prudence in their silence.
    Only tell the public about your plans once you're well underway in implementing them. Tell it about your plans two months before you can legally START implementing them and your competition can either take your plan and implement it before you do, or at least find a counter-strategy sooner than they normally would.

I wouldn't count on HPalm saying a single dog-darn word before the merger has gone through and is official, not even after stockholders have had their vote. I expect news of upcoming webOS stuff the day after Palm has irrevocably become a division of HP at the very earliest.
    To shed some light on the pending buyout:

The shareholder vote is this Friday, June 25.

Despite what you hear elsewhere, THIS is the big day and the one to watch for; both are publically traded companies, and if PALM shareholders don't approve of the sale, then it can't happen. Period.

What could happen? Well, if PALM started talking about their next device(s), or HP started to detail all the new devices that they want to incorporate WebOS into, or, just how GREAT webOS is, before the vote, and the Press likes what they hear, shareholders might get the idea that PALM is worth more than the $5.70 HP is offering to pay for each share, and vote against the buyout at this price.

If enough of PALM's shareholders turn out and do that, the deal doesn't happen, and any efforts PALM and HP will have made towards the deal happening will have been for nothing.

There are many twists and turns to this scenario, but, the shareholder vote on Friday is the most important event coming - the shareholders are the owners of the company, and nothing like this can happen unless THEY approve it, formally. If it passes, and the buyout is approved by the shareholders, then a ton of activity is put into motion to take place, very quickly:

The SEC paperwork will be filed and completed within the next 30 days and it will be official - NASDAQ will have enough notice to take the PALM trading symbol off of the exchange as of July 31, and HP's bank will work with the stock depositories, individual inviestors and the stock brokers with clients for all recorded PALM shareholders as of July 31, 2010 and pay them $5.70 for each share of PALM stock they own, and the deal will be complete - PALM will become part of HP officially. Amongst all of this are lawyers and accounting firms resolving the agreement and the accounting systems and assets/liabilities so that the event can close on the day it is planned to be executed.

So, in light of the above, it is quite understandable as to why PALM has been very quiet about future devices, and why HP is mute about plans for PALM and WebOS - remember, ANY statements, public or otherwise, that could, in even the slightest manner, provide the insinuation that the current price is undervalued can jeaopardize this deal, will be avoided.

Once the shareholder vote is over, and the buyout is approved, they COULD release information with less risk, however, to e quite honest, as I have indicated above, there is SO much to be accomplished to make the transaction complete within the next month that they likely wouldn't have time to do it properly.

So, the likely scenario is right after the formal acquisition is done (post July 31), is when we all should start hearing news and announcements of future devices and plans for expansion of WebOS into "other" devices.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 06/23/2010 at 07:30 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Interesting view on the Shareholder thing - looking at this forum and all the desperation here ("Palm has not given us any news about anything new coming in the next two months, this can only mean that the next Palm phone will arrive in 2012") it's working out fantastically for them. Give the shareholders reason to dump their stock at whatever price because they see a bleak future.

Incidentally, the June 25 stockholder vote (I knew that it was gonna happen, just not when) makes all sorts of sense in a timeline view of the thing:

June 25 - stockholder vote. NO NEWS BEFORE THIS DATE BEFORE THE BUGGERS WANT TO HOLD ON TO PALM AFTER ALL.

(1.4.5 released in this timeframe, not before June 25 so the stockholders are really, really depressed and hopeless on the big day)

July 1 - The PDK Hot Apps competition - which requires 1.4.5 to be present on devices so they can get general [non-early-access-dev] PDK apps - begins.

July 31 - The merger is completed. No way to go but forward.

(1.5 with CSS transforms and so on to be released "by fall" as per the Developer Day Keynote, i.e. sometime during August)
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    info
    Thanks for explaining the whole buying process.. Do you know in what shape or form Palm is currently able to work with HP? Are they allowed to work together? Is it possible they've been working on a tablet (and phone) since the announcement in April?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I just love how HP says "many connected devices" and everybody thinks kitchen appliances.

Why?

Is it too hard to think about interconnected phones, slates, TVs, Stereos, Car infotainment products, and so on?

But no, the Palm Pessimism Catastrophe Force and its Switch Now Cause The Future Sucks division only comes up with webOS blenders, fridges, showerheads and toilet seats.

The iPhone Has A Phoneless Version Called The iPod ...... Imagine A WebOS MP3 Player. Id Get One Over The iPod Anyday. (Im Not Big On Using My Phone As A Main MP3 Player, Just Maybe 50 Songs). Or A WebOS Indash Double Din Head Unit Navigator/Radio For Cars . Maybe Not Full Blown Like The Pre, But With Just The Right Programs/Apps Needed For A Car Radio. A Touch Screen WebOS Remote To Control Your TV/Stereo/Entertainment System. I Wouldnt Mind Controlling My Samsung LED TV On Football Night With That.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Thanks for explaining the whole buying process.. Do you know in what shape or form Palm is currently able to work with HP? Are they allowed to work together? Is it possible they've been working on a tablet (and phone) since the announcement in April?
    Palm and HP can do whatever they want regarding the order of doing business - they are two andependant, publically traded companies as of today, so as long as they abide by the SEC rules for publically traded companies, all is good.

However, to serve the common goal of making the buyout complete, they have to adhere to that which I explained above.

Can and are HP/Palm working together now? Probably sharing information at moderate levels technically, and PALM is probably congnizant of HP's "general" plans for them for the next 6 months, but no real details will be related until after that vote is done, Friday. Too much at stake, if it doesn't happen (it will - I can't see any reason why shareholders would vote it down today.. without HP, the picture has been bleaquely painted by all, which isn't necessarily the whole truth, but close enough).

JR indicated that the "pipeline" hasn't changed after the HP buyout was announced. To me, that means that HP has little to nothing to do with the next smartphone due out, however, they will likely play a huge role in financing and marketting it, as the PALM division will be thiers, and they want to show a payback to thier investors for their investment in PALM asap... a hit smartphone right off the bat would be just that answer, IMO.

I hope that helps.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ian410 View Post
    That would be cool, your toaster could burn pics and text messages on your toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by PJaE00 View Post
    The iPhone Has A Phoneless Version Called The iPod ...... Imagine A WebOS MP3 Player. Id Get One Over The iPod Anyday. (Im Not Big On Using My Phone As A Main MP3 Player, Just Maybe 50 Songs). Or A WebOS Indash Double Din Head Unit Navigator/Radio For Cars . Maybe Not Full Blown Like The Pre, But With Just The Right Programs/Apps Needed For A Car Radio. A Touch Screen WebOS Remote To Control Your TV/Stereo/Entertainment System. I Wouldnt Mind Controlling My Samsung LED TV On Football Night With That.
    Your Post Looks Like One Big Thread Title With All The First Letters Being Upper Case.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Your Post Looks Like One Big Thread Title With All The First Letters Being Upper Case.
    LoL Im Sorry, Its A Habit I Have To Type Like This.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    That would be sweet to have a webOS enabled car... and I'm not talking about just a GPS/Radio type thing... it could possibly handle all your gages (gas, trip meter, oil pressure, RPMs, etc.) and the display could be fully customizable! Imagine a GPS that turns on your blinkers when the turn you need is coming up. Or automatically starts mapping out gas stations as your tank starts to get low. I mean we are imagining right?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    That would be sweet to have a webOS enabled car... and I'm not talking about just a GPS/Radio type thing... it could possibly handle all your gages (gas, trip meter, oil pressure, RPMs, etc.) and the display could be fully customizable! Imagine a GPS that turns on your blinkers when the turn you need is coming up. Or automatically starts mapping out gas stations as your tank starts to get low. I mean we are imagining right?
    Great Ideas. I Like That!

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Imagine a GPS that turns on your blinkers when the turn you need is coming up. Or automatically starts mapping out gas stations as your tank starts to get low. I mean we are imagining right?
    Dude, get that to the patent office ASAP. That would be an awesome tool!! Have it run on in-car wifi (no ugly wires!) and have the holster be a touchstone and we're talking mighty sweetness!

As an old codger who... sometimes... leaves his blinker on AFTER making the turn, I'd like a feature to turn off the blinker after completing the turn, as well.
    Also, my old Audi Q90 used to show me warning when I'd been driving too long. That would be a cool feature, too!

Add in a 'to-do' awareness feature, so that it tells you when you're near a particular service (dry cleaning, drugstore, etc) or vendor for items in a category (milk, movie tickets, etc) and you've got the ultimate auto-valet.

Just make sure you don't create a category called 'Girlfriends' and have multiple pick-ups overlap!

Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Can it send faxes?
    Yes, and if you fax a bread slice to another webOS HP Printer. It can toast it and spread Jelly on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast