Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    According to his linkedin profile, Rich Dellinger -- the UI designer who created WebOS' incredible notification system along with the system's application framework -- left Palm last month and returned to Apple. Along with Matias Duarte bouncing to Google, what does this mean for the future of WebOS' interface design?

Rich Dellinger - LinkedIn
    That someone else will serve in those roles??
    It means more opportunities for other fill in the Gap....
    I hope they get more apple and google people
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    That someone else will serve in those roles??
    Well, sure.

The crux of the problem, though, is that talent with proven track records that created much of the areas WebOS shines in are moving from Palm to other companies. What can HP do to stop the brain drain?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    According to his linkedin profile, Rich Dellinger -- the UI designer who created WebOS' incredible notification system along with the system's application framework -- left Palm last month and returned to Apple. Along with Matias Duarte bouncing to Google, what does this mean for the future of WebOS' interface design?

Rich Dellinger - LinkedIn
    It means that they have created an opening so they can hire Jason.

You know, they used FaceBook to get Betty White on Saturday Night Live... we should do that with Jason...
    Well, sure.

The crux of the problem, though, is that talent with proven track records that created much of the areas WebOS shines in are moving from Palm to other companies. What can HP do to stop the brain drain?
    POTENTIALLY a problem. What do we really know? Perhaps HP has already targeted folks for those positions and told the others they would not be retained. Can we really know that they are indispensable? Might there be even BETTER folks out there?

We only know of these folks because of webOS, etc. Maybe the way HP will IMPROVE webOS is by putting even BETTER people in those jobs.

I have no idea.....neither do you.
    Hey, if it worked for getting Betty White on SNL, why can't we get Palm to hire Jason, pay for his college, and let him roll all of his patches into the core OS? I just created a FB group called "Invite People to Palm needs to hire Jason Robitaille"

Please see if you can join it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It means that they have created an opening so they can hire Jason.

You know, they used FaceBook to get Betty White on Saturday Night Live... we should do that with Jason...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    POTENTIALLY a problem. What do we really know? Perhaps HP has already targeted folks for those positions and told the others they would not be retained. Can we really know that they are indispensable? Might there be even BETTER folks out there?

We only know of these folks because of webOS, etc. Maybe the way HP will IMPROVE webOS is by putting even BETTER people in those jobs.

I have no idea.....neither do you.
    Wait, are you really arguing that losing top tier talent that filled important roles in the development of a company's greatest asset isn't necessarily a bad thing?
    Wait, are you really arguing that losing top tier talent that filled important roles in the development of a company's greatest asset isn't necessarily a bad thing?
    But it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having someone else come in with a fresh set of ideas and talent could be a good thing.
    Well, they "lost" their VP of carrier marketing a few weeks ago. I'd say that was a VERY good thing...

And the basic UI is baked. They need Jason to create the features that live within the framework...
    Exactly what I am saying. I do not have enough info to know. Hell, look at all the posts on here with complaints about what is MISSING in that OS. There are a number of patches that are needed to make some simple things work.

I'm just saying none of US knows if this is horrible or not. They did GREAT...perhaps others can do better.

we just don't KNOW.

ETA: a lot of fans of the New England Patriots were upset when their starting quarterback Drew Bledsoe got injured.........until some 6th round draft pick kid named Tom Brady proved to be pretty good.
    ANd here is how you can help Palm fill the void with an excellent development resource:
    Palm needs to hire Jason Robitaille | Facebook
    Being a cleveland sports fan and a palm fan is really starting to take it's toll. Way too many upsets and more false hope than I can handle
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Being a cleveland sports fan and a palm fan is really starting to take it's toll. Way too many upsets and more false hope than I can handle
    Time to switch to the Cubs?
    sorry I am a bit naive...isn't HP Microsoft friendly?
    Just posted this on the front page, but it could go here too:

I'm not all that concerned. The general design framework of webOS is finished, and is excellent.

That's not what needs work now. What needs work is the technical stuff behind the scenes.

I appreciate what he did for webOS in the first place, but at this point, that sort of work doesn't seem quite as necessary.
    removed by submitter
    Last edited by Rand; 06/08/2010 at 10:49 PM.
    man down
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneBpalmpre View Post
    sorry I am a bit naive...isn't HP Microsoft friendly?
    Uh.... Yes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast