Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    And the entire room (Rubenstein and Hurd included) is looking to you for advice on the following:

New Hardware features-
    must hit the $199 - $299 price point if you expect it to sell. So keep it realistic. Looking for features more so than specs - but we all like to geek out over specs, so if you are wiling to explain why you want specific hardware, go for it.

*Form Factors -
    If you can get only two....
    Keyboard and virtual keyboard only slab
    Beefed up Pixi and Landscape Keyboard
    Or something totally new.

OS enhancements -
    What features should be (must be) included in the next update?

Marketing slant -
    Obviously no Creepy Lady But what would make a good campaign? Do they go high powered tech (a la Android), should they go executive on the go? Young hipster? Or something totally different, like a phone for "moms" ?

Ad Song? -
    I have no idea, something clever, something that indicates they are getting back in the fight. Or "Another One Bites the Dust" . You decide.

Launch Strategy -
    All Carriers? If you are forced to pick one or two only, which ones should they be?

*Device Name -
    ?????

*Best Goodwill Gesture to the Palm Faithful -
    $50 upgrade to all Sprint users regardless of upgrade eligibility?
    Get a developer to produce a key product even if they pay outright for it?
    Allow all current users to get a deeply discounted new device?

I'll throw in one to start this off.. if they don't give phones to the WebOS internals guys to work with and improve before launch, someone is smoking something at Palm HQ.
    Last edited by C-Note; 06/08/2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added "Form Factor", "Device Name" and "Goodwill Gesture"
    Hardware: Beat iPhone in at least two areas (card slot? faster processor?). You don't need to beat iPhone/Evo in EVERY feature. Add at least one unique feature (pico projector, maybe on touchstone? second camera for 3d?)

OS enhancements: turn on GPU, fix PIMs to match old Palm/Google/Blackberry functionality.

Marketing: be different from crowd? Anti-iPhone? Maybe steal a page from Apple, a la 1984?

Ad Song: I like the fight song idea

Launch: in US, have to go through carriers (witness Google's disaster with G1). Problem is the hero phones on AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon are already selected, so really have to do a launch a few months after their latest? Though internationally, unlocked GSM soon, and everywhere.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    If you want to market this to executives/business types, Palm is going to need actual productivity software, not just a reader that can open (but not manipulate) MS Office documents.
    marketing should be "merit-based" just exactly like the iPhone. Just show how the phone does things that people do often, or wish they could do. Simple.

Even Sprint hasn't figured this out with Evo. All they talk about is that it's the first 4G phone - with no indication why that matters... and their tag line is "what can you do with first?" They should be ANSWERING that question, not asking it...

No image ads, no positioning ads, no creepy people. Just a concise demonstration of how the Pre makes everyday tasks better...
  5. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    New Hardware features-
    Slate design. No hw keyboard. No buttons. Solid black 4".

OS enhancements -
    Voice dialing. Speed.

Marketing slant -
    License 2001 Space Odyssey music and use of Monolith (with a Palm logo on the top corner). Could do some great ads with the Palm "monolith" standing up in the middle of nowhere with apes staring at it.... Or just floating through space....

2001 monolith - Google Search

Palm, if you want more ideas - you know how to contact me.
    I agree with the first reply, dont out do the iphone and evo in every way just some.

for example, 4g isnt a must...it is only limited in america at the moment and Europe wont be seeing it to atleast next year. Apple were right about the camera..megapixels isnt everything...as the pre camera prooves too. but it needs an upgrade,

I suggest a similar 5mp camera with the hd recording
    16-32gb storage (if price is an issue, 16gb with a cardslot)
    larger screen, but slider form factor, the pre looks great with the hidden away look.
    1ghz CPU, and 512mb ram I think are a minimum to compete with other phones.
    (maybe a front facing camera partnership with skype?!?)
    New Hardware features
    • Bigger screen w/higher resolution. This will create a bigger form factor allowing more room for...
    • A gigantic battery. Look at the iPhone 4 schematics. The thing is mostly battery and antenna. Keep the basic form factor of the Pre, just bigger so that you can squeeze as much space for battery as possible.
    • More RAM.
    • More storage.
    • At least 1GHz CPU - NOT underclocked!
    • 4G

OS enhancements
    • Visual voicemail
    • Voice activated features: search, dialing, etc
    • Synergy plugin api: allow developers to do synergy linking to their own service or develop for 3rd party services
    • Universal search plugins: allow developers to provide a callback to universal search so that their app gets included in the search
    • All OS graphics run through GPU for speed
    • Widgets: live on the background. Can be accessed by pulling a window shade down a la android notifications.
    • Better cut & paste: gesture based is to much like trying to remember Ctl-Alt-F7 will make WordPerfect do something.
    • Native Google Voice integration (this is a wishlist, right?)
    • Incorporate the best of the patch community changes. IMHO these are:
      • 4x4 icons
      • battery percent (at least as a settings option)
      • Faster animations
      • Delete email from notification
      • Device menu megamix
      • Improved photo/video naming convention
      • Close slider to end regular phone calls only
      • Messaging character counter

Marketing slant
    I don't have many ideas here, but they would emphasize:
    • Notifications, not interruptions - pointing out how iPhone notifications block everything you're trying to do on the phone
    • Multitasking for every app. Period. No extra coding required.

Ad Song?
    I got nothing.

Launch Strategy
    Pick a carrier to go first. I don't care which one, but give no more than 60 days exclusivity to that carrier.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 06/08/2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    New Hardware features-
    An amazing screen, like the iPhone, Glass... new battery

OS enhancements -
    Native Voice Recorder, Zoom and hotter UI

Marketing slant -
    Make any real slant, I guess business aimed, that's where the moolah is..

Ad Song? -
    Eye of the Tiger anyone?

Launch Strategy -
    Sprint. And Verizon.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Hardware: Beat iPhone in at least two areas (card slot? faster processor?). You don't need to beat iPhone/Evo in EVERY feature. Add at least one unique feature (pico projector, maybe on touchstone? second camera for 3d?)

OS enhancements: turn on GPU, fix PIMs to match old Palm/Google/Blackberry functionality.

Marketing: be different from crowd? Anti-iPhone? Maybe steal a page from Apple, a la 1984?

Ad Song: I like the fight song idea

Launch: in US, have to go through carriers (witness Google's disaster with G1). Problem is the hero phones on AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon are already selected, so really have to do a launch a few months after their latest? Though internationally, unlocked GSM soon, and everywhere.
    Ooh! I like the "1984" themed ads. But with Apple-like drones. But they had BETTER have the hardware to back up so audacious an advertising campaign because it will not go unnoticed.

Song - one of the versions of "How Do You like Me Now" The country version (Toby Keith), the hip-hop version (Kool Moe D) - just the swagger of that type of song.

PIM fix is Vital. If they let Blackberry grab the spotlight with their upcoming OS and hardware changes, Palm will find themselves in a hole that not even HP money will be able to fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    marketing should be "merit-based" just exactly like the iPhone. Just show how the phone does things that people do often, or wish they could do. Simple.

Even Sprint hasn't figured this out with Evo. All they talk about is that it's the first 4G phone - with no indication why that matters... and their tag line is "what can you do with first?" They should be ANSWERING that question, not asking it...

No image ads, no positioning ads, no creepy people. Just a concise demonstration of how the Pre makes everyday tasks better...
    This is so true.

I worked in the advertising industry for a while. You see what happens is you get some yuppie ****tard agent working in this field, and they are trying to not let on that they are a complete *****.

So, what they do is try extra really hard to create this 'artsy' post-modern ad that will wow all their employers so that it looks like they actually do something around the office.

If you just made an ad that said "this is a phone. This is what it does" like the iphone, your employers would be like "what did we hire you for? I could have thought that up"

So rather than creating an ad that actually is effective, often times ads are way over produced and over-thought simply because someone on the inside is trying to climb the ladder.
  11.    #11  
    +2 (one for each of you)

C
    oh and for song...I say stick with Mos def. He did the one for that last advert, and he mentions touchstone in another song..

Not bad having one of the worlds best rappers on yourside... and we had bono
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    New Hardware features
    • Bigger screen w/higher resolution. This will create a bigger form factor allowing more room for...
    • A gigantic battery. Look at the iPhone 4 schematics. The thing is mostly battery and antenna. Keep the basic form factor of the Pre, just bigger so that you can squeeze as much space for battery as possible.
    • More RAM.
    • More storage.
    • At least 1GHz CPU - NOT underclocked!
    • 4G

OS enhancements
    • Visual voicemail
    • Voice activated features: search, dialing, etc
    • Synergy plugin api: allow developers to do synergy linking to their own service or develop for 3rd party services
    • Universal search plugins: allow developers to provide a callback to universal search so that their app gets included in the search
    • ALL OS GRAPHICS RUN THROUGH GPU FOR SPEED
    • Widgets: live on the background. Can be accessed by pulling a window shade down a la android notifications.
    • Better cut & paste: gesture based is to much like trying to remember Ctl-Alt-F7 will make WordPerfect do something.
    • Native Google Voice integration (this is a wishlist, right?)
    • Incorporate the best of the patch community changes. IMHO these are:
      • 4x4 icons
      • battery percent (at least as a settings option)
      • Faster animations
      • Delete email from notification
      • Device menu megamix
      • Improved photo/video naming convention
      • Close slider to end regular phone calls only
      • Messaging character counter

Marketing slant
    I don't have many ideas here, but they would emphasize:
    • Notifications, not interruptions - pointing out how iPhone notifications block everything you're trying to do on the phone
    • Multitasking for every app. Period. No extra coding required.

Ad Song?
    I got nothing.

Launch Strategy
    Pick a carrier to go first. I don't care which one, but give no more than 60 days exclusivity to that carrier.
    I was about to type up a list, but I think you nailed it on the head.

Edit: Forgot to add - GET AN AUTO-FOCUS LENS ON THE NEXT DEVICE!

MY BIGGEST GRIPE IS THAT THE OS DOESN’T USE THE GPU FOR EVERY LITTLE TASK. Come on and enable it for crying out loud. I was using JStop to check out my app and noticed that the memory usage varies from under 1MB to over 4MB depending if I have the list display the name only or name, status, style and rating on each row. In either case the same info is loaded in memory, the only difference is the amount of “rendering” info in the main memory. Menus and resorts seem to slow down too. Resorts takes from 2-3 sec with one line of text and just over 5 sec for the extra info to render. I can’t help but think GPU rendering would speed ALL of this up and correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t if free up memory too? Rather than having everything rendered in system memory, wouldn’t it be rendering in video memory?
    New Hardware features-
    1. Time for addition of forward facing camera, not necessary for video calls. I feel future apps will be coming out to take advantage of this in ways people haven't thought of yet.
    2. Better screen that's bigger and has oleophobic coating.
    3. Compass, gotta be at least in the game with the other boys.
    4. Need another sensor that will both enhance WebOS capabilities and leapfrog iPhone. Don't know what that would be but important not to just copy the top selling phone but take it to the next level.

OS enhancements -
    1. Voice API for voice control and things like search and apps like Shazam.
    2. Fix "Too Many Cards" error.

Marketing slant -
    1. Show how (by example) WebOS is better. You can't multitask all apps in new iOS4 I'd show that as a weakness and how much easier it is to multitask in WebOS

Ad Song? -
    1. Nothing crazy and shouldn't distract from the ad itself.
    Launch Strategy -
    1. More carriers at once is better but just keep consistency across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Ad Song?
    I got nothing.
    Listening to Pandora right now, and I like the song "Everybody" by Ingrid Michaelson. Could use it to emphasize the connectedness that you get through synergy.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Build-quality, build-quality, build-quality!!! I love the current Pre form factor and size, but I want a non-plastic jewel of a phone with a rock-solid slider. I'm talking best-in-class iPhone/HTC/Blackberry Bold style build-quality. Hey a splash of leather on the back ala BB Bold wouldn't hurt either.
    Very interesting thread, but I think it's worth noting that whatever the next Palm handset is, the hardware and software is probably in a fairly advanced state. Too far along to be changed significantly. I believe the rumors of a 3.7"-4" device with no bezel and the same form factor and very simple aesthetics as the Pre are correct.

Some very interesting marketing ideas here. I think the ad campaign needs to follow two tracks. First, they need the "cool factor" ads that generate hype and make people feel like owning this phone will make them better than other people (silly as it may seem, this is precisely what drives lots of smartphone and apple product sales). The 2001 monolith idea, and the parody of the 1984 ads are good examples of this. Something that pokes fun at the ubiquity of the iPhone and plays on the older Apple "think different" theme would be very daring, but quite possibly very effective. Second, they need the ads that actually show what WebOS can do. The "Life moves fast" campaign is a good start in this direction, but unfortunately I still don't think it gets the message across without a narrator(and the second one had a stupid song). These two marketing strategies need to be coordinated between Palm and the carrier(s). The Droid campaign was a great example of this...similar look and feel to both the Motorola ads and the Verizon ads. Sometimes you couldn't tell the difference.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I agree with the first reply, dont out do the iphone and evo in every way just some.

for example, 4g isnt a must...it is only limited in america at the moment and Europe wont be seeing it to atleast next year. Apple were right about the camera..megapixels isnt everything...as the pre camera prooves too. but it needs an upgrade,
    KA1 did get it right. They will not be able to outdo Apple (or Android) in EVERY measure and still keep it affordable. (who's going to buy a $350 Pre 2 - or whatever they will call it- when the other phones are selling for less?)

Focus on a few key areas and make it better then the competition, make the rest competitive... then make sure people know about those differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    If you want to market this to executives/business types, Palm is going to need actual productivity software, not just a reader that can open (but not manipulate) MS Office documents.
    +1
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hardware Features:
    First and foremost, BUILD QUALITY. Whatever you do, just make the <edited by mod> device rock solid. I never had to replace my original iPhone nor my BlackBerry Bold 9000 once due to defects, and my expectation with spending that sort of cash is that I wouldn't have so many seemingly basic issues. I love my Pre+ (now that I've found one that doesn't have some sort of terminal defect), but I didn't get that honeymoon love affair with it that I had with them, having to go through 4(!!!!!) replacements. Now, it kind of feels like a marriage that I've had to go through counseling with. I LOVE it, but mostly because I've rationalized myself into it.
    I think, if the keyboard were just perfectly resistive, and if the screen were crisp enough (the Retina Display just adds that much more pressure) with no horrid blights, no dead pixels, and if the slider didn't…well, do anything it does now (Oreo, creak, separate, etc), then the form factor could evolve to become a real flagship. Maybe increase the screen size, add that front camera, etc…the form as a concept is there. Just execute it correctly.

OS Enhancements:
    Part of my problem is with the app experience on webOS. I talked about this on Twitter today, and with no offense to the developer community, I just feel like there is no real compelling webOS app, other than TweetMe and to some degree Bad Kitty, that nails it on FUNCTION + FORM. There are some real boogers on the App Catalog. Why is the average app on webOS so UGLY?! No offense, but I come from a post-iPhone world, and so does the average consumer. The one hard-nosed criteria that I feel the iTunes App Store is justified on is on the aesthetic standard. If it's ugly, NOPE. BYE.
    The other is on the iteration cycle. It's been a year. The basic structure and feature set is there, but it is starting to become not enough. Yes, the OS is pretty. Turn on the GPU so that it can flow. Yes, webOS is integrated in the cloud. Why can't I edit my contacts/calendar/etc on a web portal from my computer? I can see documents, but why can't I edit them? Here we are on the Pre's anniversary, and we have not heard a thing about webOS 2.0. I'm not saying to be Android, but even Apple can come out with a numerical release once a calendar year.

Marketing Slant:
    We have Lynn Fox, Jon Rubenstein, and numerous former Apple execs. I don't understand why they haven't been able to grasp what makes Apple's marketing so effective: just showing what the product does. I have sold three people on Palm devices (I always recommend the Pixi over the Pre because I can't give them a good story on build quality) because they saw what my phone does…all because they see my interacting with the cards. The commercial needs three things: the interface, the phone, and a finger interacting with it.

Song:
    I don't care, but anything besides an 80s experimental band and a new-age piano bridge.

Launch Strategy:
    The one advantage that Android has and one that the iPhone doesn't have is that it is available on all carriers simultaneously. Do that, and preferably not staggered so tortuously long. Sell an unlocked GSM version (that works on both AT&T and T-Mobile 3G bands, the chipsets exist); it's a higher-margin device and I think the larger profits could justify manufacturing.

I know this is kinda long and drawn-out, but I feel these are valid points. Before I switched to Verizon, I really read up, researched, and got excited about Palm, mostly because of their engagement with the user and development base (they read this forum), but I study/work in PRPRPR, $and$ $I$ $can$ $tell$ $you$ $that$ $conversation$ $and$ $personality$ $only$ $goes$ $so$ $far$&#$8230$;$you$ $have$ $to$ $put$ $this$ $into$ $action$. $We$ $haven$'$t$ $heard$ $a$ $_thing_$ $about$ $the$ $next$ $generation$, $I$'$m$ $a$ $broke$-&$lt$;$edited$ $by$ $mod$&$gt$; $college$ $senior$ $who$ $can$'$t$ $just$ $jump$ $platforms$ $on$ $a$ $whim$, $and$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $know$ $what$ $kind$ $of$ $relationship$ $I$'$m$ $locked$ $into$ $for$ $the$ $next$ $15$ $months$ $while$ $I$'$m$ $watching$ $my$ $friends$' $devices$ $get$ $that$ $much$ $more$ $awesome$ $than$ $what$ $I$'$ve$ $got$.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/08/2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: language
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast