Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Please don't leave out us baby-boomer, childless, dachshund-loving (and still rather hot - at least according to my SO) geek-wannabees! (I may be a girl, but I stll love gadgets!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    brooke shields retro ad with the line 'nothing comes between me and my palm'
    Good one!
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Must... Have... Keyboard...
    Agreed! Palm would lose many more users than they would gain. Maybe like one poster suggested both a physical portrait KB AND a virtual horizontal KB.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    according to this guys source this is what you can expect

Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    3.8" IPS Capacitive Touch Screen
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    OMAP4430 - POWERVR SGX540 Graphics
    16GB - 32GB Internal Memory
    Improved Vertical keyboard - Larger Buttons, better design
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    WebOS 1.5 will introduce a horizontal virtual keyboard.
    4G will be optional, but it will have the modem present.
    This phone will be announced shortly before the closing deal with HP. Early July.
    Anybody else hear any of the above from an additional source?
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    without having read the other responses I will add what I feel I would like to see in a future WebOS device.

Ad song? Block Rockin' Beats? Die Another Day? Renegades of Funk? I kind of like RHCP's "She's only 18" because webos is the both new kid and kinda knocks you off your feet. All that said, my music taste is kinda meh.

Carriers? VZW and Sprint

Device name? HP NaPALM.

Goodwill gesture? Trade in pre for 100$ credit towards flagship product, pixi for pixi2 or similar?
    The NaPalm? Hmmmm That would certainly get some attention, but it might not be favorable attention. (or is any publicity good publicity at this point?)

If they have killer hardware (no pun intended), the name might work.

Would AC/DC's "Back in Black" work for you?
    One marketing strategy that jumps to mind is "There's more to life than fart jokes." iDrone and the Googles can brag about their oh-so-many apps, but if you have 100,000 apps, and 1,700 of those are fart generators, what is that really saying?

Emphasize multi-tasking.
    Emphasize an open-source network of developers. "Like Linux, but it works"
    Emphasize replacable/upgradable battery - this is a HUGE issue for iphone users.

Love to see a card slot for expandability.
    Keep the physical keyboard at ALL costs, but include a virtual keyboard.
    More accurate GPS would be nice, but that's the geocacher geek in me envying my fellow cachers who use iPhones.

Carrier - Verizon - biggest network, or AT&T - they know how to sell.

That's all I got for now.

--MGb
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgbmusic View Post
    One marketing strategy that jumps to mind is "There's more to life than fart jokes." iDrone and the Googles can brag about their oh-so-many apps, but if you have 100,000 apps, and 1,700 of those are fart generators, what is that really saying?

Emphasize multi-tasking.
    Emphasize an open-source network of developers. "Like Linux, but it works"
    Emphasize replacable/upgradable battery - this is a HUGE issue for iphone users.

Love to see a card slot for expandability.
    Keep the physical keyboard at ALL costs, but include a virtual keyboard.
    More accurate GPS would be nice, but that's the geocacher geek in me envying my fellow cachers who use iPhones.

Carrier - Verizon - biggest network, or AT&T - they know how to sell.

That's all I got for now.

--MGb
    Not sure if picking an apps fight with the iPhone is the path to success. It is probably better to play to your strengths. They could come back with "we have more farts apps than you have apps... period.

Once few more of the gaps are filled, the apps issues fades in importance. (There is no need for 30 flight tracking apps, or 50 crossword puzzles - just a few good ones - Palm has that) People are surprised at what is available. I am, and I check regularly.

An ad showing some of the apps would be very helpful in letting people know the Pre "can do".
    Ok, I'll bite:

Hardware Features & Form Factors

• Vertical slide keyboard (continuing the one-hand philosophy)
    • OMAP4 CPU
    • 4" screen with gorillaglass (Beats iPhone)
    • 720x1280 resolution (oh, hmm, that happens to match the resolution for 720 HDTV...)
    • 32gb builtin with an SDHC card slot support up to a 32GB Class 6 card.
    • 512mb RAM minimum, but more likely 768 or 1gb. IE, enough to not ever ever see "too many cards". I want to see someone opening 150 cards on youtube.
    • Minimum 8MP Camera, 12MP would be better. (Beats iPhone)
    • 1080p Video recording (this is why OMAP4 and SDHC support is needed ) (Beats iPhone)
    • 802.11 b/g/n
    • aGPS
    • Bluetooth2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
    • Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor
    • Integrated touchstone-compatible case
    • Battery sufficient to support 8 to 10 hours of 3G talk (Beats iPhone)

I think the Pre/Pixi choice complements nicely, so in keeping of that, the above would be the successor to the pre and the below would be pixi:

• Same form as current pixi
    • OMAP4 or Tegra2
    • 3.5" screen with gorillaglass (Matches iPhone)
    • 540x960 (that's 3/4 the resolution of the above)
    • 8gb builtin with an SDHC card slot support up to a 32GB Class 6 card.
    • 512mb RAM
    • 5MP Camera (Matches iPhone)
    • 720p Video recording (Matches iPhone)
    • 802.11 b/g/n
    • aGPS
    • Bluetooth2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
    • Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor
    • Integrated touchstone-compatible case
    • Battery sufficient to support 8 to 10 hours of 3G talk (Beats iPhone)

OS Enhancements
    • webOS 2 (Doesn't matter if it's a large leap or not, marketing NEEDS it to be 2.0)
    • Better PIM
    • APIs to make deep integrations (aka Google Voice) possible.
    • Better response times. All user interaction must have a visual response within .1 second. This may require tweaking animations etc. See: useit.com/papers/responsetime.html
    • Quicker boot. Or at least make it seem quicker by providing progressing animation (a mostly static animation like is currently employed makes time seem to last longer than it does).
    • Integrate some of the more common patches.
    • Use App bounties to get some vital apps made, such as doc editing etc. Devs need extra encouragement right now because they see the future of the platform as more uncertain than ever.
    • Better intro tutorial to teach people gestures quicker. Maybe also a "quick overview" option that also includes more advanced gestures, such as teaching copy/paste, app switching etc.
    • Better Audio/video player. The OMAP4 processor support just about every format out there so this really needs to be a killer feature.
    • Quit trying to hijack iTunes. Do some sort of software that can complement iTunes very simply.
    • Wifi Sync. I don't want to have to use a cord to update my music, especially with the touchstone I bought!

Marketing Slant
    Just show what the phone does. People need to know succintly WHY this phone is better than the iPhone. Just come out and say it over and over until people really believe it is better than the iPhone.

Android may be rising in popularity, but Palm will beat android if they focus on beating RIM for the corporate sector and Apple for the Consumer sector.

They've already made good moves to make the corporate world happy, keep that up. Maybe even produce a limited run that is sans-camera. Market specifically in the venues that IT and CTO's will see how business-friendly and cost-effective buying Palm is over RIM.

As for competing with iPhone, see the specs above. The Pixi2 should mostly match the iPhone and the Pre2 should mostly beat it.

Ad Song
    Something simple. Look at Apple's ads, they don't have complicated songs.

Launch Strategy
    Ideal would be a AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint launch.

Realistically, I think a Sprint first launch is most likely. AT&T is about to launch iPhone, so they are going to focus on that for a good 6 months, and Verizon will likely launch the Droid 2 soon. If Verizon is willing to canibalise the Droid2 by launching Palm first, then hooray, otherwise too many people will invest in the Droid hype. Thus, sprint first. Make it clear from day 0 that this phone WILL be launching on Verizon. I think that if TI can have OMAP4 ready by august, then the timeline should be August on Sprint, October on Verizon, December (early) on AT&T.

Device Name
    Well, here's the rub. Palm really needs a brand they can snowball reputation for over time (such as Apple always names it iPhone Something), but the Pre has had too much (IMO) bad reputation. So it needs to be a new name, but one they could run with long-term.

For the Pixi successor, I feel the Pixi brand has a lot of positive reputation, so it can stay. Pixi 2 or somesuch would work fine.

Best Goodwill Gesture to the Palm Faithful
    That would be the Sprint-first launch.
    Also nice would be to host a special dev-camp approx one month before launch with free pre2's or pixi2's for all.
    Also, job offers to some of these webos-internals guys. They've done brilliant work.
    Free pre2 to precentral, engadget, and gizmodo would do well too I think.

So, there's my path to victory for Palm.

Unfortunately, I think the above really hinges on TI getting its OMAP4 out this year, so if it slips to 2011 then the next Palms would too, and I'm not sure if they can take that. I really think the OMAP4 is crucial because of its ability for:
    amazing battery life,
    1080p video recording,
    Amazing battery life,
    20MP camera processing,
    and... oh yeah, Amazing Battery Life
    gizmodo.com/5462847/tis-omap4-chipset-promises-insane-performance-and-145-hours-battery-life

Sorry for the non-clicky links, I'm not allowed big boy URLs until I hit 10 posts, lol.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123