Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    product-wise, they need to bring it to feature parity with palmOS phones.

in a nut shell, that means absorbing about 80% of the patches into the core IS and hiring Jason...

too many items to list here, but there are soooo many things lacking from the maturity and depth of features in Tre/Centro phones...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/08/2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by cantaffordit View Post
    and hiring jason...
    + 1,000 !!!!!!!!!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Marketing: Show the social-networking aspects of the phone and get the 20-somethings on board. And keep them by working to advance the functionality of the phone to grow into something they want to keep.. they might only want social networking and web browsing right now, but show them that the phone and webOS will be something they want to take to work with them.

Hardware: Make the phone SDHC compatible, keep the 16GB onboard and allow an additional 16GB with the card.

And make it fast and pretty.. overly fast and pretty. Blow people away, and give them features they didn't know they wanted. If HTC can build the phone with a 1Ghz processor right now, for $199, HP can build the next webOS phone with a 2Ghz processor, with their market scale, for the same price.

That's how to build brand loyalty. Palm had it, is losing it, and can get it back.. the Palm brand isn't dead, it's just sleeping right now.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Very interesting thread, but I think it's worth noting that whatever the next Palm handset is, the hardware and software is probably in a fairly advanced state. Too far along to be changed significantly. I believe the rumors of a 3.7"-4" device with no bezel and the same form factor and very simple aesthetics as the Pre are correct.

Some very interesting marketing ideas here. I think the ad campaign needs to follow two tracks. First, they need the "cool factor" ads that generate hype and make people feel like owning this phone will make them better than other people (silly as it may seem, this is precisely what drives lots of smartphone and apple product sales).
    Probably right, but if it's not good enough, I hope they have the courage to eat the cost incurred to date to make it right. They can't afford to take 3 swings at this.

Definitely right about the advertising. If you ever listen to early advertising, or ads in a country where the advertising business is in it's infancy, it is stunning to see how much of our ads are "image advertising" rather than ads based primarily on the merits of a product.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    oh and for song...I say stick with Mos def. He did the one for that last advert, and he mentions touchstone in another song..

Not bad having one of the worlds best rappers on yourside... and we had bono
    yeah I love Mos Def!
    Wow...all I can say is Big Thumbs Up!

Thanks, Sorli...

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    New Hardware features
    • Bigger screen w/higher resolution. This will create a bigger form factor allowing more room for...
    • A gigantic battery. Look at the iPhone 4 schematics. The thing is mostly battery and antenna. Keep the basic form factor of the Pre, just bigger so that you can squeeze as much space for battery as possible.
    • More RAM.
    • More storage.
    • At least 1GHz CPU - NOT underclocked!
    • 4G

OS enhancements
    • Visual voicemail
    • Voice activated features: search, dialing, etc
    • Synergy plugin api: allow developers to do synergy linking to their own service or develop for 3rd party services
    • Universal search plugins: allow developers to provide a callback to universal search so that their app gets included in the search
    • All OS graphics run through GPU for speed
    • Widgets: live on the background. Can be accessed by pulling a window shade down a la android notifications.
    • Better cut & paste: gesture based is to much like trying to remember Ctl-Alt-F7 will make WordPerfect do something.
    • Native Google Voice integration (this is a wishlist, right?)
    • Incorporate the best of the patch community changes. IMHO these are:
      • 4x4 icons
      • battery percent (at least as a settings option)
      • Faster animations
      • Delete email from notification
      • Device menu megamix
      • Improved photo/video naming convention
      • Close slider to end regular phone calls only
      • Messaging character counter

Marketing slant
    I don't have many ideas here, but they would emphasize:
    • Notifications, not interruptions - pointing out how iPhone notifications block everything you're trying to do on the phone
    • Multitasking for every app. Period. No extra coding required.

Ad Song?
    I got nothing.

Launch Strategy
    Pick a carrier to go first. I don't care which one, but give no more than 60 days exclusivity to that carrier.
    according to this guys source this is what you can expect

Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    3.8" IPS Capacitive Touch Screen
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    OMAP4430 - POWERVR SGX540 Graphics
    16GB - 32GB Internal Memory
    Improved Vertical keyboard - Larger Buttons, better design
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    WebOS 1.5 will introduce a horizontal virtual keyboard.
    4G will be optional, but it will have the modem present.
    This phone will be announced shortly before the closing deal with HP. Early July.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    according to this guys source this is what you can expect

Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    3.8" IPS Capacitive Touch Screen
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    OMAP4430 - POWERVR SGX540 Graphics
    16GB - 32GB Internal Memory
    Improved Vertical keyboard - Larger Buttons, better design
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    WebOS 1.5 will introduce a horizontal virtual keyboard.
    4G will be optional, but it will have the modem present.
    This phone will be announced shortly before the closing deal with HP. Early July.
    That is not terrible, but unless the OS is a lot better (microphone API, etc) and they get one of those key apps (Document editing) I'm not sure if this is going to excite anybody.

What will they "hang their hat on", so to speak? By July those specs may be middle of the road. Maybe a good physical and virtual keyboard?

No micro SD slot? Yipes!!!

Shadavis08, what should they do as a show of good faith to the current users (if anything)?
    Hardware:
    Battery, battery, battery. Beat the iPhone in longevity
    Better display, but not necessarily higher resolution, if the display is great, there is no need. I moved from a winmo VGA and am not looking back.
    Needs an order of magnitude better HW quality, I am using the original pre and the slide mechanism is clunky, the phone itself too plasticy.

Form Factor:
    Keep the pebble form factor with the slide-out keyboard - it's unique and infinitely pocketable
    Maybe add a slate/bar form factor, but that would just be joining the herd.

We have excellent multitasking and notifications, now we need the next best thing: being able to talk to PCs: bluetooth, wifi, I don't care: allow me to drag and drop files, contacts, etc wirelessly over from my PC.

Launch strategy:
    How about world-wide? don't forget us GSM users! , hey - I still cannot access the "for pay" apps.

Device name:
    We had the palm pre, how about the palm "nextra" or similar name that will invoke "next gen" ?

Goodwill gesture:
    not sure we should tie it to the carrier: how about extending that unlocked dev phone offer?
    Do not get rid of the gesture area or wireless charging. Make a song and dance about them as they are truly great and unique features. By virtue of the Plus not having any front mounted button could be used to take a pop at the iphone in ads e.g. it has less than 1 button, yet can do so much more than the rest *cue gesture area flipping demo*.

The ad song is somewhere that can really make a difference. Finding a new song that storms the charts and gets people talking about the brand / ad worked wonders for a certain jean company (and Radiohead) in the past. Get the folk that pick the music for "Skins" on Channel 4 in the UK to find you something.

Do a (tasteful!) advert that gets banned. That always works in drumming up publicity. Be sure and have others that won't get banned though

Release new handsets simultaneously worldwide. Easy

Release handsets within 1 month of announcing them. Announcing something 6 months before anyone can buy it only leaves room for something bigger and better to rob you of the hype. Apple gets this. Microsoft does not.

The Facebook client is real strong (and getting stronger) on webOS. This is a trumpet to be blown, and blown hard!

Twitter isn't something I use other than to track webOS developers. But I gather a few other people out there do use it. Integrate it in to Synergy. Why? See the next point...

When you look at a contact (and when they call you) show their latest social network update(s). If you want to go all the way (please do) give us the ability to reply to whichever social network the contacts update came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    Release handsets within 1 month of announcing them. Announcing something 6 months before anyone can buy it only leaves room for something bigger and better to rob you of the hype. Apple gets this. Microsoft does not.
    Completely agree!

Of course, last year was a different story. They had to announce ASAP even though it wasn't ready. They were in threat of not surviving long enough to get the phone out at all. I suspect the reason that we haven't heard anything at all since the Pre+ is because they're doing the apple thing and will announce it shortly before it's ready to go.

Umm, yes I am prone to wishful thinking. Why do you ask?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    brooke shields retro ad with the line 'nothing comes between me and my palm'
    New Hardware features-
    3.7-3.9" Glass IPS screen (gesture area floats and rotates with screen orientation), at least a dual-core 800Mhz processor (one core can be dedicated for telephony and the other radio controls, the other can be used for applications), 800MB+ RAM (its a multitasking device...remember), 16GB+ of storage, Wifi B/G/N, metalic enclosure with 1500mah user-replaceable battery, magnometer (compass), 5mp camera w/ touch focus and dual LED flash, 4G (carrier dependent)

*Form Factors -
    Portrait Slider w/ VKB

OS enhancements -
    PIM - Calendar invitee management, proper Agenda view built into the calendar, contact categories, threaded messaging option.
    Other - proper GPU integration across the board, single app for all settings, multiple launcher pages support, rotating launcher screen, native rotating Messaging app, rotating email app, (umm, every native app should rotate), increase backup app to include all settings and SMS (with option to pay more for media storage a la Amazon S3), Gift purchases for apps (buy an app for a friend), voice recognition

Marketing slant -
    Productivity. Personality. Palm.

Ad Song? -
    N/A

Launch Strategy -
    Sprint and foreign markets 1st, Verizon and AT&T within 3 months

*Device Name -
    Pre 4G

*Best Goodwill Gesture to the Palm Faithful -
    $15 in the App Catalog & 15%off any accessory
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    brooke shields retro ad with the line 'nothing comes between me and my palm'
    LOL!!! That could get someone into trouble if taken the wrong way
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    LOL!!! That could get someone into trouble if taken the wrong way
    Did you see the original Calvin Klein ad that I'm referring to? It was intended to be provocative.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Did you see the original Calvin Klein ad that I'm referring to? It was intended to be provocative.
    Yeah, I do. It did cause a bit of a stir at the time, didn't it?
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    New Hardware features-
    3.7-3.9" Glass IPS screen (gesture area floats and rotates with screen orientation), at least a dual-core 800Mhz processor (one core can be dedicated for telephony and the other radio controls, the other can be used for applications), 800MB+ RAM (its a multitasking device...remember), 16GB+ of storage, Wifi B/G/N, metalic enclosure with 1500mah user-replaceable battery, magnometer (compass), 5mp camera w/ touch focus and dual LED flash, 4G (carrier dependent)

*Form Factors -
    Portrait Slider w/ VKB

*Device Name -
    Pre 4G

$15 in the App Catalog & 15%off any accessory
    Like the floating gesture area. And your form factor seems to be the best compromise between the slab fans and those wanting to keep the same form factor as now.
    Yeah, I do. It did cause a bit of a stir at the time, didn't it?
    all they have to do is replace her with taylor swift or carrie underwood. What made it so provacative was her 'squeaky clean' image...
    Like the floating gesture area. And your form factor seems to be the best compromise between the slab fans and those wanting to keep the same form factor as now.
    Must... Have... Keyboard...
    And the entire room (Rubenstein and Hurd included) is looking to you for advice on the following:

New Hardware features-
    must hit the $199 - $299 price point if you expect it to sell. So keep it realistic. Looking for features more so than specs - but we all like to geek out over specs, so if you are wiling to explain why you want specific hardware, go for it.

*Form Factors -
    If you can get only two....
    Keyboard and virtual keyboard only slab
    Beefed up Pixi and Landscape Keyboard
    Or something totally new.

OS enhancements -
    What features should be (must be) included in the next update?

Marketing slant -
    Obviously no Creepy Lady But what would make a good campaign? Do they go high powered tech (a la Android), should they go executive on the go? Young hipster? Or something totally different, like a phone for "moms" ?

Ad Song? -
    I have no idea, something clever, something that indicates they are getting back in the fight. Or "Another One Bites the Dust" . You decide.

Launch Strategy -
    All Carriers? If you are forced to pick one or two only, which ones should they be?

*Device Name -
    ?????

$50 upgrade to all Sprint users regardless of upgrade eligibility?
    Get a developer to produce a key product even if they pay outright for it?
    Allow all current users to get a deeply discounted new device?

I'll throw in one to start this off.. if they don't give phones to the WebOS internals guys to work with and improve before launch, someone is smoking something at Palm HQ.
    without having read the other responses I will add what I feel I would like to see in a future WebOS device.

Hardware: Preferably a horizontal slider with phsyical keys, but OSK would be the second option with a thin slab device.
    HARD GLASS screen!!!! I hate scratches, PLEASE make the next one made out of something harder, the pre gets scuffed like crazy!

OS enhancements? Support for multiple exchange calendars/subfolders. Accelerated interface that detects my first finger press. Better memory management (doesn't reboot on its own when it gets bogged down). Theme support. Improved applications onboard (sci. calc, etc..).

Marketing Slant? Well, not moms for the flagship product (pixi, OK), but for the flagship it should be geared towards business on the go, I think.

Ad song? Block Rockin' Beats? Die Another Day? Renegades of Funk? I kind of like RHCP's "She's only 18" because webos is the both new kid and kinda knocks you off your feet. All that said, my music taste is kinda meh.

Carriers? VZW and Sprint

Device name? HP NaPALM.

Goodwill gesture? Trade in pre for 100$ credit towards flagship product, pixi for pixi2 or similar?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast