Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, in the wake of HP's CEO saying they "didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business", I did something slightly immature: I sent a foul mouthed email.

HP was gracious enough to respond.

When we look at the market, we see an array of interconnected devices, including tablets, printers and,of course, smartphones. We believe webOS can become the backbone for many of HP's small form factor devises, and we expect to expand weOS's footprint beyond just the smartphone market, all while leveraging our financial strenght, scale and global reach to grow in smartphones.

CEO Customer Relations

-----Original Message-----
    Frommy email address) [mailtomy email address)]
    Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 6:24 PM
    To: Feedback to the HP CEO
    Subject: Feedback to CEO and President Mark Hurd from (My name)

This message has been rerouted to you by the HP.COM email Router.
    If this message has been sent to you in error, please send it to the mailbox at HP.COM ROUTER per the HP email directory. (R.C.ID 3236669-4705691-0603:0125)

Original message follows:
    -------------------------

This is a message to HP's CEO, from a valued customer: (My name here)

Customer's Phone: (my cell number)
    Customer's E-Mail: (my email address)
    Feedback Area:
    - Product experience
    'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business'

Well, (blank) you then.

Signed, A VERY disgruntled Palm Pre owner who was looking forward to the best smartphone OS in the world being put to use in the (blank)ING SMARTPHONE arena.

This message was sent on: 6/3/2010 at 1:23:53 GMT
    Anyone else get a response?
    Last edited by The Voice of Reason; 06/07/2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Didn't edit out my name
    Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of Reason View Post
    So, in the wake of HP's CEO saying they "didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business", I did something slightly immature: I sent a foul mouthed email.

You're kidden right?

Haha, I think your going to have to change your username as your email was not really a 'voice of reson'. But that response is pretty nice, I hope you wrote an apologetic email back after.
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/07/2010 at 08:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I got one as well. The spelling was awful.
    HP doesn't have spell check?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    HP doesn't have spell check?
    HP is to cool for school
    At least you didn't get a case and desist letter
    so.. My thoughts on this issue (i know we are already days old..) is the fact that apple might have a few more dollars to devote to this area than hp does. Since apple is constantly on the bleeding edge of technology (heck, they develop it..), than their products will always get updated and released along with tech limits.

since hp has dollars to spend, but maybe not as much as apple, then maybe it was their way of succeding this industry to the "big dogs".

we all know that webOS is by far the most powerful mobile OS that has ever been developed, so why wouldn't HP stop the development of this UI? Since they are planning on putting webOS on tons of defferent devices to make them web capable devices, palm pres should be integrated with all of them and potentially be able to interact with all of them.. Exciting if you think about it, it will kinda be like the iPhone being capable of interacting with all other apple products..
    Yep, got the same exact response -- guess it was a form letter, huh?
    Same response here.
    Got same response just like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yep, got the same exact response -- guess it was a form letter, huh?
    I really thought hp would have written a different email to the hundreds of palm fans messaging them on the same subject... lol..

If you had read the whole interview it would of been clear that they never meant what blog sites assumed they did..
    It's not uncommon for a company that receives probably a fairly large amount of emails to provided canned responses. We don't live in a day in age where businesses are small mom and pop stores. It's not efficient and cost effective to have someone right up a response to every letter when most would probably have to be approved by a PRPRPR $team$.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    This was my message to him:

I read your message regarding the smartphone business.

I usually buy a new HP laptop every other year, a new smartphone every year.

I waited in line to be the first with a Palm Pre and have been very happy with it. I have talked many people into buying them. Now a year later, I am looking for my next phone. I really want it to be WebOS based. But, if I heard your message correctly, my next upgrade might not be WebOS?

Any possibility a new WebOS based phone could be coming sometime this year on Sprint?
    The response I received was the exact same as you and the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    It's not uncommon for a company that receives probably a fairly large amount of emails to provided canned responses. We don't live in a day in age where businesses are small mom and pop stores. It's not efficient and cost effective to have someone right up a response to every letter when most would probably have to be approved by a PRPRPR $team$.
    hey, i'm not sure if you have any power over this, but could you see if palm can check, and perhaps release stats on how much more apps sold yesterday compared to the day before, or the same time last week? I know companies usually don't like releasing real numbers, so a percentage would be fine..
    that is the exact same wording they used for their public statement to press inquiries. it's just good to see HP acknowledge the need for clarification and provide it as quickly as they did...
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    hey, i'm not sure if you have any power over this, but could you see if palm can check, and perhaps release stats on how much more apps sold yesterday compared to the day before, or the same time last week? I know companies usually don't like releasing real numbers, so a percentage would be fine..
    I've been tracking the counter on the PC apps page. According to those numbers, sales on sunday were 3.5x what they were today. Not sure what an average day is, or if today was slow because everyone bought yesterday...

And those numbers are downloads, so it doesn't indicate paid vs free, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I've been tracking the counter on the PC apps page. According to those numbers, sales on sunday were 3.5x what they were today. Not sure what an average day is, or if today was slow because everyone bought yesterday...

And those numbers are downloads, so it doesn't indicate paid vs free, etc...
    don't worry I've been keeping track of your posts like the U.S has been keeping track of airports since 9/11...
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    don't worry I've been keeping track of your posts like the U.S has been keeping track of airports since 9/11...
    What?
    Whatta ya know, I got the same response too! :-)

Message I sent:

I am concerned by the reports of a recent statement which was made by Mr. Hurd, regarding HP's purchase of Palm, Inc.: "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well".

I would be one of those people with whom this statement does not resonate well with. I have enlisted Palm-based products for over a decade to organize my life, share information, and keep in touch with others. I do not believe in the "other team's" philosophy of a closed environment and kept waiting for Palm to make a come back with the release of a new product to replace my aging Treo, which I refused to part with. When the Pre was released, I purchased mine within a month and could not have been happier with it. It had an incredible multitasking OS, with an intuitive interface, a superior web browser, and a future of great things to come. I even picked up a Pixi for my Wife, who has never owned a smartphone before, and she loves it. I have been eagerly awaiting the next WebOS smartphone release to see something that may be even better than my Pre.

Anyway, while a WebOS-powered tablet would certainly be a wonderful product that I may be interested in, it is not a smartphone which I would carry with me at all times and use the way that I do with my Pre. I sincerely hope that the family of WebOS products which HP envisions includes WebOS smartphones like the Palm Pre and Pixi.

I look forward to continuing my journey through life with a Palm/HP smartphone to assist me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast