Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Updated Gesture Area!!!!! Placed the original optical ball for visual purposes...
    Let me know what you think.......
    I was bored. So I designed my Palm Pre 2 design with some dream specs..
    Specifications: Dream Pre
    Operating System webOS 2.0
    Updated HTC Sense
    1.5 GHz Snapdragon CPU
    1 GB RAM
    4.3 Super AMOLED multi-touch
    3G/4G WIMAX
    2.0 MP FRONT-FACING CAMERA
    10 MP Dual LED Flash Camera
    SD CARD SLOT
    Battery Capacity slim 2000 mAh
    32 GB Built in hard drive
    1080P Video Camera Recording
    HDMI out
    FM RADIO
    3.5 mm headset jack
    Built-in WiFiŽ: 802.11 b/g/n
    GPS
    VISUAL VOICEMAIL
    Sprint applications
    Sprint Hotspot
    Digital Compass
    Multiple Exchange Email
    ****Updated App Store
    palm htc sense 2010 updated.jpg
    Last edited by Validone; 06/06/2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Updated Gesture Area
    all that sounds great minus the htc sense part. Kinda kills having webos doesn't it? The way you have it written out it's basically an android phone with webos on it.
    4" screen or less. 4.3 is way too big.

1.5 Ghz is too much for this OS. It's like running an Alienware computer with Windows 2000. You just don't need it. A 1 Ghz would be perfect, seeing as how 800mhz makes this phone ridiculously good.

The 1 GB of RAM is good to match the processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    why couldn't Android run as an app?
    After that new video... How about intel's mobile cpu..
    why would you want Sense? What specific feaure would it add that webOS UI?

I'm curious what you think is lacking or what is worth breaking the consistent card metaphor?
    You cant have Sense and WEB OS. Defeats the purpose of WEB OS. WHat you described is an EVO but you just want it to say HP. Sense just cleans up Android . Probally will not need Sense anymore when Froyo comes. Then again seems alot of people like Sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    why would you want Sense? What specific feaure would it add that webOS UI?

I'm curious what you think is lacking or what is worth breaking the consistent card metaphor?
    Agreed! That's what I was saying in my first post. HTC made sense ui to make android more intuitive, which IMHO webos already is, we're just lacking in the hardware dept. This replacement phone I just received the volume button doesn't work and also the phone radio won't allow me to make calls at all.

If hp/palm releases a phone with comparable EVO specs they'll have their foot back in the door. Since they have a great OS to begin with they don't need extra software on top. Think of it like this when you buy a laptop and it comes with all the extra software to do the things windows already does but in their own cleaned up program = android (windows) and HTC (laptop maker) adding sense ui just makes it easier and appeals to the masses.
    Last edited by Stevesrjr86; 06/06/2010 at 10:41 AM.
    this thread is pointless. like others have pointed out, Sense is smply HTC's skin and a few minor interaction changes to Android. the screen you have mocked up does not take into consideration the user interaction, so while it looks somewhat plausible as a screenshot, it would not work for actual usage.
    but what does Sense add to the value? I haven't used it so I don't know.

what I do know is that the webOS UI is controlled for consistency just as apple does with iphone. I would also assume that app developers would not be able to count on the UI and would therefor have to write code to operate in multiple paradigms.

those are heavy costs for user and developer. So I'm curious what value it would bring, because I haven't used it.

I haven't heard anyone say 'ive gone to android and wow, I'm so glad to be done with card view and gestures' rather they all say the miss those things. So how would it increase the appeal of webOS to break such a consistent UI that people pick up quickly and embrace so passionatly.

I played with a friend's EVO yesterday. Not sure if that was Sense, but it felt more like iPhone and a little bit like blackberry. Not horrible, but I didn't find advantage. As I showed then how webOS did each task we compared, they were impressed with the Pre.

what am I missing, or what should I look for when I get a hold of another evo to play with?

I appreciate the insite...
    @ Jakeeee,

Why is 1.5 Ghz "too much" for this OS? That's an unusual comment. The faster the better! Sounds an awful lot like "who needs more than 640k RAM?"

Mockup looks cool except for two details: the Sense UI is not really needed in webOS as many others have pointed out, and your mockup doesn't have a gesture area. How can we use webOS without the back and launcher gestures? The FM radio does seem like an unnecessary addition as well; I know I haven't listened to FM radio on the move since I've got Pandora and Slacker Radio on my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    @ Jakeeee,

Why is 1.5 Ghz "too much" for this OS? That's an unusual comment. The faster the better! Sounds an awful lot like "who needs more than 640k RAM?"

Mockup looks cool except for two details: the Sense UI is not really needed in webOS as many others have pointed out, and your mockup doesn't have a gesture area. How can we use webOS without the back and launcher gestures? The FM radio does seem like an unnecessary addition as well; I know I haven't listened to FM radio on the move since I've got Pandora and Slacker Radio on my Pre.
    FM radio is actually useful. It uses less battery power than Pandora and Slacker because it doesn't use data. And my local hip-hop station is hilarious and I love listening to them.
    As far as I can tell, all you are really looking for is "active" wall paper...

Odd that I couldn't view that picture on my Pre, so I had to wait until I was able to use my PC. Why wouldn't I be able to view that image from my Pre? Hmmm...

Not sure if I want active wall paper, either...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I really don't understand why anyone would want to skin webOS with the abomination that is Sense UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    As far as I can tell, all you are really looking for is "active" wall paper...

Odd that I couldn't view that picture on my Pre, so I had to wait until I was able to use my PC. Why wouldn't I be able to view that image from my Pre? Hmmm...

Not sure if I want active wall paper, either...
    If your talking about live wallpapers, of course you cant look at it on the Pre. It's a apk. It's specifically designed for android.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    I really don't understand why anyone would want to skin webOS with the abomination that is Sense UI.
    It's really obvious to tell if a person has used Sense, let alone know what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    @ Jakeeee,

Well that .5 would add to the cost by a lot. We'd already be paying for a better processor that we barely need. It would be necessary if webOS needed it, but webOS is designed to not use a lot of processing, it just has java leaks. I don't think we'd significantly notice the difference between 1 and 1.5 ghz with probably a huge price difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    No physical keyboard and sense? I would not buy this. Not to mention its entirely too big!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Well that .5 would add to the cost by a lot. We'd already be paying for a better processor that we barely need. It would be necessary if webOS needed it, but webOS is designed to not use a lot of processing, it just has java leaks. I don't think we'd significantly notice the difference between 1 and 1.5 ghz with probably a huge price difference.
    WebOs most definitely needs processing power since there is no integration of the gpu. The processor needs to be the fastest on the market until Palm can figure out how to properly integrate gpu access.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    It's really obvious to tell if a person has used Sense, let alone know what it is.
    Yeah it is, and yes I have.

My point is if you really want Sense (and having used it with all the alternatives out there I can't see why you would) - there are PLENTY of phones out there that have it, both Android and Windows Mobile 6(.5 - whatever). Skinning webOS with Sense would at least in some part mask what makes webOS different.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Yeah it is, and yes I have.

My point is if you really want Sense (and having used it with all the alternatives out there I can't see why you would) - there are PLENTY of phones out there that have it, both Android and Windows Mobile 6(.5 - whatever). Skinning webOS with Sense would at least in some part mask what makes webOS different.
    And my point is you called Sense ui an abomination. Which it's far from. Actually everything its been on, it has made it better. Why couldn't it do the same for Webos? Cause we all know Webos needs some help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast