Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sense is loved by alot of people. I see why . It makes the OS which we all know , Android isnt as 'clean" as WEBOS . its more like Windows Mobile ( until Froyo). The "Average " phone user would not like the Stock Android as much. On the Live Wallpapers, Absolutley amazing. Very cool thing that all phones should have. WEB OS while not out as long as Andorid is a more clean and tight OS. Simpler. WEB OS was truley amazing. it will be fun to see what the designer of WEBOS who went to Google does to Android. It can only get better as it is still a work in progress.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    That was my point - Sense was almost a necessity for Windows Mobile and stock Android, and it improved things. For me, one of the big reasons I chose webOS was the uncluttered interface - something that I think would only be hurt by the addition of Sense. For me, compared to webOS, Sense is an abomination - compared to Windows Mobile or stock Android, it's an improvement.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think webOS needs a wholesale UI change, just some tweaks here and there. The UI is one thing they really nailed, IMO.

--Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    why would you want Sense? What specific feaure would it add that webOS UI?

I'm curious what you think is lacking or what is worth breaking the consistent card metaphor?
    I wouldn't want sense, however I would love widgets and the way this is set up would be awesome. The top of the screen can have a time/date/weather/alternating appointments. And it can be flicked left or rigt to alternate widgets like webos cards. On the lower end would be the cards just as they are now. And if a user doesn't want widgets they could turn them off and the cards would be exactly as is now. ewin for those who want today screen/widgets and for those who don't because it would be a possible not required to use feature other then that I do not see sense coming thoug I would expect some color scheme and design schemes to sligtly change to reflect hp (probably darker colors which imo is good cus grey is way to windows 98ish anyway.)
    btw sorry for my typs my pre is starting to skip letters when I type tus the reason I am anxiously awaiting a btter webos phone among others.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    why would you want Sense? What specific feaure would it add that webOS UI?

I'm curious what you think is lacking or what is worth breaking the consistent card metaphor?
    I am crazy about WEBos, however, I don't think it is all-conclusive especially in the technology ecosystem. I feel that it is the best operating system that is available to the market, but I still think it could use some refreshing in some areas. One of the areas is still allow the card scheme to work as is, but allow more customization such as; (HTC Sense) with time and weather as I tried to demonstrate in my sketchup..... I love that I can see the weather and time instantly versus opening an app that takes 30 seconds to show the weather.
    The card metaphor will work as is but with variations of style and speed....... I meant to add a gesture area on the bottom, it was just something I wanted to tinker with to see for myself how it will look. I just wanted to dream a little bit. Even though many of you are saying that this is too much on the spec side. I remember back in 1995 when two friends argued about how MB's were way too much for a cpu ram.... 15 years later we are gobbling GB's and TB's. Please let me dream with my specs and concepts and before we know it these too will be trumped in the next year or two
    Last edited by Validone; 06/06/2010 at 07:03 PM.
    so it boils down to active wall paper?

I remember when windows 98 first had that. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it could pound the battery.
    Nice, but where is the gesture area?
    Well, here is good info on the battery life issue for the Evo. The point of posting it here is that they are suggesting that people turn off the active wallpaper/Sense UI stuff to save battery:

Tips and tricks to extending the HTC EVO 4G and Incredible’s battery life (and what this says about Android)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    I really don't understand why anyone would want to skin webOS with the abomination that is Sense UI.
    I wouldn't want to "skin it" but I do like the concept of widgets and wish webos had that functionality. The biggest thing I miss from WM and what I like about android is the ability to create cool today-like start pages. I don't see why you cannot have both android style widget and webos style notifications on the same platform? I wish Hpalm would integrate this for users or at least open up API's so developers could create applications that could fill in this gap...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Nice pic!!! I think Palm needs to do something with the backround of webOS. They need a today screen or anything other than just a wallpaper. An HTC style clock or the ability to add widgets to the top area of the screen would be nice. Image being in any app and just going to card view to get access to a clock/weather/stocks widget with the press of a button. All while still being able to flip around the cards on the lower part of the screen

Also, a way to minimize any app to the notification area or allow to shrink certain cards and put them in a separate, smaller row of cards for use later should be implemented.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgar780 View Post
    Nice, but where is the gesture area?
    I updated the picture. Included a gesture area!!!!!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Well, here is good info on the battery life issue for the Evo. The point of posting it here is that they are suggesting that people turn off the active wallpaper/Sense UI stuff to save battery:

Tips and tricks to extending the HTC EVO 4G and Incredible’s battery life (and what this says about Android)
    My next phone will have widgets, period. If it's WebOS, great. Otherwise I'm switching.

Yea, widgets can pound the battery. But that really depends on the widget. If you simply have a widget that shows your Calendar Agenda, Or Tasks. Then that wouldn't have any effect on the battery. Hell, even PalmOS had an "Agenda Widget" that would always tell you what your next few appointment were.

However, if you have a widget that keeps up with live stock information or sports scores up to the minute, then that network traffic and updating would hurt the battery pretty hard.

WebOS was a big step forward, but they are going to have to make another big step forward to keep me and interest for others going. It's going to have to be a much bigger jump than simply hardware and more apps. Personally, I think the main OS should have been written in C instead of DHTML. That would be a big step in the right direction, and would help a TON with regards to speed and battery.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12