Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    It will be interesting to see how many months a new version takes to filter to the other carriers this time. Hopefully they learned their lesson about the 6 months exclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic View Post
    It will be interesting to see how many months a new version takes to filter to the other carriers this time. Hopefully they learned their lesson about the 6 months exclusive.
    Bigger question for you americans, is what carrier do you think it will first lauch on? Since sprint are going to be totally behind the evo.
    I have been guessing for months that it will debut on Verizon. Just a guess but my best guess. Sprint wouldnt carry the Nexus 1 because they want to be all in on EVO so Version is my guess. You will never see it on all of the carriers at once. No one would sell a phone with out excuusivity nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Bigger question for you americans, is what carrier do you think it will first lauch on? Since sprint are going to be totally behind the evo.
    All three major ones
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    I think 4.3" is too large for a good number of people, but fine for others. I'm still hoping for a revamped 3.7" version of the Pre+ with more memory, OMAP4, slightly larger keyboard with better keys and more spacing around the keyboard's outer edge, and a battery in the 1500mAh range.

One thing I noticed from some of the other people supposedly in the know was that Palm was apparently doing 2 devices and not just one. Would certainly make since if they launched an upgraded Pre, like above, combined with a new larger slate like device. Would allow Palm to hit two of the bigger customer segments in one shot. Then follow those up later on with a revamped, and renamed, Pixi format phone with slightly larger display and a lot more horsepower.
    as the cycle goes, and why oh why does people think they would try and release it on Verizon is mind boggaling. After Verizon crippled Pre sales, and didnt even try and push the pre, let alone marketed it for women, and have reps still push the droid over it. That would be the stupidest thing they could do at this point to try and reinvent the WebOS. The only logical choice is sprint, yes the Evo is making noise, but sprint would still push the Webos device due to it being a different phone and OS. Of course they turned down the Nexus 1 its Android too, why push a android phone thats inferior to the EVO. Sprint is the only choice, hell Id say AT&T or Tmobile over Verizon at this point, even AT&T showed mad love the Pre Plus and they have the iphone coming out in a few weeks, what was Verizons excuse.
    Im not saying Verizon is the greatest choice but its a heck of a lot better choice then Sprint . Verizon has a bigger market share. If you got the buzz of a EVO and the audience ( Android users) already built in you can do really good on Sprint BUT a phone liek the PRE and Instinct were faliures due to SPrints low subscribers. HP has got to know a release on SPrint alone is Fail from the start. As alot of people keep repeating the PLUS never came out on SPrint even though Palm is trying hard to get it out there.
    As I repeat I cant see any way , shape or form that a new WEBOS phone comes out on Sprint and I dont even think sprint would want it. Again they turned down a whole bunch of hot phones like the Nexus one for the reasons they stated, they want to concentrate on the EVO and future 4G android devices. I just see Sprint telling HP no also. Again only my opinion But I can see lots of reasons why Sprint would not carry any new device but no real reason why they would. And dont say to make money, they lost enoiugh on the terirble first try with the PRE. Would you revist that again. And if your a fan of WEBOS how could you not want to see them release it on a bigger carrier like Verizon. I want them to release it on the carrier that gives it the best chance of success and that is 100% Verizon. Ofcousr all the people here holding there upgrades will never say anything but "Sprint" and I get it . but your basing your opinion on what you want and not how the market is working.I mean Im on SPrint and would want it personally on Sprint ofcourse but Im being honest with myself. All signs point not to Sprint .
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/08/2010 at 08:06 AM.
    Most all early adopters are stuck to Sprint. Palm and HP know that all the early adopters of WebOS will want to buy the new WebOS phone.

We're all locked on sprint, so we can't exactly jump to verizon to get a new webos phone.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    ...Again they turned down a whole bunch of hot phones like the Nexus one for the reasons they stated, they want to concentrate on the EVO and future 4G android devices... .
    its like wellwellwell said above, of course they're going to turn down the nexus one because y would they want an "inferrior" android device, non 4g, not close spec wise? ur right in the fact that the N1 is a pretty sweet phone but they would have to push that just as hard when they're trying to launch their 4g market and it wouldnt make sense, thats y they turned it down. and out of all the major networks in the country, sprint has ALWAYS been the most loyal to palm giving them more opportunity then the other carriers, thats y they got the Pre first, and logically in my mind, and im sure in the mind of others, thats y they'll get the next webos device first...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a simultaneous release on all four networks. Blanket advertising across the board from Palm obviously, not the networks (why would they) giving users the choice to go with any network they want. It'll never happen I know - HPalm wouldn't have any negotiating power with the carriers for subsidies - but it would be sweet.
    Im sure you realize from some of the media reports, personal reports from here etc that alot of people left the PRE for other phones like the EVO and are now locked into other contracts. the WEB OS user based dried up . Go to any sprint like I did and ask what phone did most people drop fro the EVO and it was the PRE. All you ahve to do is read these forums to see that. so the early adolpter ( a huge part) are gone. there is no built base for a WEB OS . When the Pre Plus came out Im sure you remember the post that its coming to sprint it "has to" as we were first , well we never got the PLUS and looks like Sprint has no interest in it. Sprint customers have already been given the shaft once. I personalyl wanted the PLus. I wouldnt not have gotten the EVO is I had the Plus becasue I would be locked in now. Now alot of the Pre owners are locked into the EVO and other phones and some are going to the new Iphone. There are alot less originall Pre owners left.IF HP had a phone coming out they should have said something before June 4th or the Iphone announcment , Just HP not playing the market correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    Most all early adopters are stuck to Sprint. Palm and HP know that all the early adopters of WebOS will want to buy the new WebOS phone.

We're all locked on sprint, so we can't exactly jump to verizon to get a new webos phone.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Im sure you realize from some of the media reports, personal reports from here etc that alot of people left the PRE for other phones like the EVO and are now locked into other contracts. the WEB OS user based dried up . Go to any sprint like I did and ask what phone did most people drop fro the EVO and it was the PRE. All you ahve to do is read these forums to see that. so the early adolpter ( a huge part) are gone. there is no built base for a WEB OS . When the Pre Plus came out Im sure you remember the post that its coming to sprint it "has to" as we were first , well we never got the PLUS and looks like Sprint has no interest in it. Sprint customers have already been given the shaft once. I personalyl wanted the PLus. I wouldnt not have gotten the EVO is I had the Plus becasue I would be locked in now. Now alot of the Pre owners are locked into the EVO and other phones and some are going to the new Iphone. There are alot less originall Pre owners left.IF HP had a phone coming out they should have said something before June 4th or the Iphone announcment , Just HP not playing the market correctly.
    If they can get it out within 30 days everyone can return their Evo.

This really isn't too far fetched. Apple at this point must have a few hundred thousand iPhone 4's ready to go for a 6/24 release and yet we only had one found device. With a presumably smaller testing pool, there would be far less of a chance of a leaked palm phone. Especially after the iPhone, palm would have likely wrangled in some of their potentially loose phones.
    Last edited by potatoboy; 06/08/2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added second portion
    also, im sure something that has been probably brought up, maybe it hasnt, but is the fact that right now everything is going swimmingly right now with the HP aquisition, and im sure that leaking out pictures/videos/etc of a new webos device would not be the best thing in their interest to do. they, being palm, do not need to do anything to muck this situation up because this is quite frankly their opportunity to have the resources(both human and financial) to put their name back on the map, and be quite a contender in this already crowded feild of competitors. how would leaking info about a soon to come webos device help this merger? it wouldnt, it would only show that the company is small with security gaps, and would put doubts in the mix. then again this is just my oppinion, because i cant see myself using another os(and im on my 5th pre, from being 1st in line launch day)...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    So you would rather waste your upgrade on the same phone as opposed to a new one? It makes no since for Sprint to carry the Pre Plus now so please stop with this nonsense about how "Palm tried hard to get it to Sprint!" Yes, the Plus comes with more memory, but they still get the tmc and all the errors the original gets, so what sense would it make to get it and try to push it?? You can bash Sprint all you want but you can NOT refute the facts! How'd that Pre Plus do on Verizon? You keep repeating the same things in your posts but you constantly ignore the facts!
    way to represent the jerz, +1
    Im not saying Verizon is the greatest choice but its a heck of a lot better choice then Sprint . Verizon has a bigger market share. If you got the buzz of a EVO and the audience ( Android users) already built in you can do really good on Sprint BUT a phone liek the PRE and Instinct were faliures due to SPrints low subscribers. HP has got to know a release on SPrint alone is Fail from the start. As alot of people keep repeating the PLUS never came out on SPrint even though Palm is trying hard to get it out there.
    As I repeat I cant see any way , shape or form that a new WEBOS phone comes out on Sprint and I dont even think sprint would want it. Again they turned down a whole bunch of hot phones like the Nexus one for the reasons they stated, they want to concentrate on the EVO and future 4G android devices. I just see Sprint telling HP no also. Again only my opinion But I can see lots of reasons why Sprint would not carry any new device but no real reason why they would. And dont say to make money, they lost enoiugh on the terirble first try with the PRE. Would you revist that again. And if your a fan of WEBOS how could you not want to see them release it on a bigger carrier like Verizon. I want them to release it on the carrier that gives it the best chance of success and that is 100% Verizon. Ofcousr all the people here holding there upgrades will never say anything but "Sprint" and I get it . but your basing your opinion on what you want and not how the market is working.I mean Im on SPrint and would want it personally on Sprint ofcourse but Im being honest with myself. All signs point not to Sprint .
    im confused with everyones statement now stating the pre was a failure, due to the CFO making a statement that the Pre didnt go as well as they hoped. Due to supply initially on the first weekend due to Palm not being able to mass produce as many pre's as say a larger company like Google at the time. Still though sprint sold more then 2million pres, and thats with faulty hardware, a baby OS, and bad marketing. Even though I'm on sprint, i want whats best for the next WeboS phone too, and I defenitly believe that releasing it on Verizon would be the worst mistake they could do. Just looking at Verizon, they cater more to Android then sprint does the EVO. Verizon has no interest in Palm at this point, maybe in the future once they start getting popular selling whatever handset, and getting more established, but Verizon is a cut throat company and wants only whats hot which is Android at the moment. Sprint, and AT&T look at any phone, and try and push it as best they can, and thats proven in the past, and even currently with the AT&T version of the pre plus. They had no reason at all to support Palm the way they did with a Iphone 4 coming out, but they did. Verizon on the other hand had a updated Pre plus and pixi plus, with introduction to 3D games, and things missing like a video cameria, and not only did they still market the droid over it, they pushed the pre off to moms. In store process they pushed the droid still over the pre plus. So it has nothing to do with sprint customers to me wanting it to go to sprint, in my eyes sprint supported the pre through all the problems it had, sprint sold the most pres, and they were all first generation ones. Sprint also has a long term relationship with Palm, and has no problem pushing different OS at the same time. As I stated before of course they pushed away the Nexus 1, how stupid would they be to try and sell that and the EVO they are both android, but name another phone they turned down and maybe that point I'll try to be convinced on.
    I don't know how plausible this is, but do you think they could use the whole front of the phone for a screen when you are in video or photo view mode, and then just black out a half inch section for the gesture area when you are not in that mode? This would significantly improve view quality for video, book reading etc, without having to make a much bigger device. I agree with a lot of previous posters that one of my favorite things about the pre is the portability.

As for carriers, I gotta go Verizon. The Incredible will have its 6 months in the sun, then Verizon will need something else to push. They have the biggest pool, and I doubt that HP is going to be focusing much on rewarding loyalists, they want to rebrand WebOS as a major player, the relatively small fraction of Sprint Palm loyalists will probably be expected to wait for exclusivity to run out.

BTW, don't expect anything close to an official announcement until the buyout is 100% complete. Could create some serious complications if Palm does anything to mess with its stockprice before the vote.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    BTW, don't expect anything close to an official announcement until the buyout is 100% complete. Could create some serious complications if Palm does anything to mess with its stockprice before the vote.
    +1. I am sure they are currently working on something but we won't see a 'leak' until the sale is complete. So VaccPalm, don't say, "HP not playing the market correctly," when they don't even have the company yet.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I don't know how plausible this is, but do you think they could use the whole front of the phone for a screen when you are in video or photo view mode, and then just black out a half inch section for the gesture area when you are not in that mode? This would significantly improve view quality for video, book reading etc, without having to make a much bigger device. I agree with a lot of previous posters that one of my favorite things about the pre is the portability.
    I think that can work well. Infact they can make the gesture area have non-interactive widgets with black backgrounds, or scrolling RSS feeds or something - that'll look cool too...perhaps even a monochrome LCD type screen which can be used for indications etc

I'm sure Palm would've iterated on all these thoughts...the current setup looks gr8 except that there are no widgets!
    I don't think that using the gesture area for screen space would be a good idea. Using it as a screen, even blacked out, would emit a lot of light. Also, it would make the user interface look a lot less polished. Unless you didn't have a choice about using part of the screen for a gesture area (WebOS on pc hardware, for instance), it should stay the same as it is now.

Widgets would also be nice. They may make the interface a bit more cluttered, but the more customization you can give a user, the more likely they are to buy your product. I personally would love to have a clock or weather widget like in the sense ui on webos. Or maybe slightly animated wallpapers like Vista's DreamScene. With properly designed wallpapers it could make the phone look amazing. The same nature wallpapers we have now, but with slow moving clouds, or slight swaying in a breeze.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast