Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    i would enjoy a 4" or larger display if they a) use most of the screen reality(as people have said), and b) keep that palm feel like the pre has, and how comfortable it feels in ur hand. the bricks that r coming out r nice phones but i enjoy so much how the pre feels when ur holding it. just my 2 cents though
    LOL I just said this in another thread but do you guys think that Palm might leak a image tomorrow to take some shine away from Apple? I think it might be a good idea.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    LOL I just said this in another thread but do you guys think that Palm might leak a image tomorrow to take some shine away from Apple? I think it might be a good idea.
    Oh god i can imagine it now, a nice clear picture of a 3.7+ inch next gen WebOS device that makes the iphone HD/4G look like crap.
    I suspect that the new masters at HP would'nt want such a large (4.3 inch) phone stepping on the toes of these WebOs tablets that they keep talking about like, every 2.7 seconds. Desperate times call for desperate measures, but that would be such a departure from every phone/device that Palm/Handspring has ever made, I'd be shocked if it was touchscreen-only. Personally, being on my fourth Pre and well on my way to a fifth, I'd settle for some hardware that wasn't a steaming pile of ****. I mean really, us Sprint'ers can't even get a Pre/Pixi Plus? Way to reward the early adopters and loyalists. I'm not bitter though because, having owned iPhone, Android, Nokia and Blackberry, WebOS is quite simply the best mobile OS I've ever used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Oh god i can imagine it now, a nice clear picture of a 3.7+ inch next gen WebOS device that makes the iphone HD/4G look like crap.
    Only if it's a higher resolution greater than 960 x 640.
    I would think some leaked pics/specs would show up somewhere like boygeniusreport. Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    I would think some leaked pics/specs would show up somewhere like boygeniusreport. Just sayin'.
    It better not be BGR - he's biased against Palm...I'll rephrase that - he's biased towards Apple...!
    maybe they're holdin off cuz they wanted to develop a webos tablet to launch alongside this nextgen webos phone for interconnected devices... that would be so sexy
    very true! Hopefully today is the day around apples keynote that palm or someone drops the massive next gen webos device leak! Alongside flash omg I would freak if that would happen.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Now that the EVO is out and the Apple will soon follow, I believe HP/Palm will wait to see what the critics will say about these next gen phones. Hopefully they don't release something until this fall when they get all the kinks out from 4G phones. If the iPhone lacks in certain areas, then hopefully they take that into consideration with their new phone. The EVO is already getting large criticism for the large screen so I am sure they will take that into consideration for the next phone. They need to hit a homerun with their first phone to make a statement. So where others falter, they will excel at. Also, with more markets suppose to hit this fall with 4G, I can see the new phone from HP/Palm being a 4G.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    I took the Evo back this morning and the manager @ the Sprint store told me that his Palm rep says their will be a bigger screened Pre upgrade available in August. Said it would run WebOS (duh) and still be a slider with a keyboard. He also said no iPhone for Sprint. FYI
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I dunno... did you see how many exclamation points are in the title? It's gotta be true - punctuation doesn't lie!

I'm kind of hoping they do come out with a new name and not the Pre-xxx. Something to not evoke the memories of the issues the Pre had in the beginning. And I agree with others... the later Pre's released on Sprint were much more solidly built - I love mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Agreed. It should be like witness protection: Name change, relocation, disavowal of the past.

My first thought on the name was HPre.
    Or maybe instead of Pre....Post

D
    Now that the keynote is over and I've seen exactly what the new iPhone is toting, here's what I think about the next Pre.

1) A higher resolution display (at least 960*640 like the new iPhone). Display should be no larger than 3.7in - The display size is for sure (I don't believe Palm would design/release a huge 4.3in device) but maybe not the resolution.

2) Higher performance processor. I'd like to see the OMAP4430 in the next Pre (Good relations with TI, SMP, 25% reduced power usage). The OMAP3430 clocked to 800MHz is almost as fast (at least in sunspider tests) as the iPad and faster than the Nexus One, so I really can't see them putting anything less than 800MHz in their next phone.

3) Better battery life. This could be taken care of simply by using the OMAP4430 and maybe a slightly larger battery (At 3.7in display you could probably fit one fine) due to the OMAP4's reduced power footprint. Many people I know (myself and wife included) have problems with battery life, so this should be a priority.

4) More RAM. It may seem like you don't need a lot for a mobile device (640K SHOULD be enough) but for an OS that is built around the multitasking idea I really think that we should put a lot more RAM into the device. 512Mb would be a step in the right direction, and realistic, but I personally would like to see more. I can image HD video (Netflix, youtube, etc) or audio playing simultaneously with web surfing, texting, emailing, etc. All of this should be accomplished seamlessly. It's like the Duracell commercials, doesn't matter if it's doing one thing at a time or 50, "It just has to work". Lots of fast RAM and SMP would make that happen.

5) Better build quality. It seems that build quality has been much improved in the Plus versions, especially the newest models, but this is really hurting Palm's sales at the moment and they really need to change this. This includes a better camera. No, we don't need an 8MP camera, or even a 5MP like in the new iPhone. What we do need is a high quality lens that focuses. The pictures shown at the keynote were pretty nice, and because most people will take pictures from their smartphone so they don't have to carry a camera around we need a good one.

6) Software improvements. With the Pre being close to the 3GS performance wise stock and much faster at 800MHz there's really no reason that it should feel slower. I personally think that my Pre is incredibly fast with the overclock patch, but it should be just as fast stock. Proper utilization of system resources would go a long way to improving customer satisfaction. Also, the phone needs to better handle low reception areas automatically. High battery drain due to working in an area with little reception is my wife's number one complaint about her Pre. I imagine this could be handled much better.

7) Lastly, they need some great advertising. The latest ads are doing a lot better, but they need to really push them, get the excitement going for the Pre. If they can show people why the OS is better, why the phone is better, they'll have them intrigued and I bet they'd be able to pull a lot of users from Android and older iOS devices.

Sure, video conferencing and 4G are nice, but they aren't going to be mainstream for at least a couple years and unless Palm can partner with Google (unlikely) or Apple (even less likely) to get video conferencing standardized so you can chat with anybody on any OS they're not going to persuade most consumers anyway. These technologies would be an expensive yet not very profitable investment, at least not until the Pre 3.

Also - I think that too many people are thinking of the Pre 2 as needing to "dethrone" the iPhone or the Evo/Top android device. It doesn't. The OS has so much more potential than I see in other systems. What it does need is some substantial improvements and it needs to be polished. webOS was a new OS when the Pre was announced, but it will be 2 years old (presumably) by the time the Pre 2 hits the market. It should shine.

Sorry, guys, for the big wall of text, my Mom taught me to stretch my money, and I can get a lot for $.02
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I took the Evo back this morning and the manager @ the Sprint store told me that his Palm rep says their will be a bigger screened Pre upgrade available in August. Said it would run WebOS (duh) and still be a slider with a keyboard. He also said no iPhone for Sprint. FYI
    See.... ANOTHER confirmation that a next gen hpalm pre with a larger screen will be available by fall! GET @ ME HATERS!
    Quote Originally Posted by feltmoney View Post
    See.... ANOTHER confirmation that a next gen hpalm pre with a larger screen will be available by fall! GET @ ME HATERS!
    I hope they're true
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I want card view to work in landscape mode!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    Now that the keynote is over and I've seen exactly what the new iPhone is toting, here's what I think about the next Pre.

1) A higher resolution display (at least 960*640 like the new iPhone). Display should be no larger than 3.7in - The display size is for sure (I don't believe Palm would design/release a huge 4.3in device) but maybe not the resolution.

2) Higher performance processor. I'd like to see the OMAP4430 in the next Pre (Good relations with TI, SMP, 25% reduced power usage). The OMAP3430 clocked to 800MHz is almost as fast (at least in sunspider tests) as the iPad and faster than the Nexus One, so I really can't see them putting anything less than 800MHz in their next phone.

3) Better battery life. This could be taken care of simply by using the OMAP4430 and maybe a slightly larger battery (At 3.7in display you could probably fit one fine) due to the OMAP4's reduced power footprint. Many people I know (myself and wife included) have problems with battery life, so this should be a priority.

4) More RAM. It may seem like you don't need a lot for a mobile device (640K SHOULD be enough) but for an OS that is built around the multitasking idea I really think that we should put a lot more RAM into the device. 512Mb would be a step in the right direction, and realistic, but I personally would like to see more. I can image HD video (Netflix, youtube, etc) or audio playing simultaneously with web surfing, texting, emailing, etc. All of this should be accomplished seamlessly. It's like the Duracell commercials, doesn't matter if it's doing one thing at a time or 50, "It just has to work". Lots of fast RAM and SMP would make that happen.

5) Better build quality. It seems that build quality has been much improved in the Plus versions, especially the newest models, but this is really hurting Palm's sales at the moment and they really need to change this. This includes a better camera. No, we don't need an 8MP camera, or even a 5MP like in the new iPhone. What we do need is a high quality lens that focuses. The pictures shown at the keynote were pretty nice, and because most people will take pictures from their smartphone so they don't have to carry a camera around we need a good one.

6) Software improvements. With the Pre being close to the 3GS performance wise stock and much faster at 800MHz there's really no reason that it should feel slower. I personally think that my Pre is incredibly fast with the overclock patch, but it should be just as fast stock. Proper utilization of system resources would go a long way to improving customer satisfaction. Also, the phone needs to better handle low reception areas automatically. High battery drain due to working in an area with little reception is my wife's number one complaint about her Pre. I imagine this could be handled much better.

7) Lastly, they need some great advertising. The latest ads are doing a lot better, but they need to really push them, get the excitement going for the Pre. If they can show people why the OS is better, why the phone is better, they'll have them intrigued and I bet they'd be able to pull a lot of users from Android and older iOS devices.

Sure, video conferencing and 4G are nice, but they aren't going to be mainstream for at least a couple years and unless Palm can partner with Google (unlikely) or Apple (even less likely) to get video conferencing standardized so you can chat with anybody on any OS they're not going to persuade most consumers anyway. These technologies would be an expensive yet not very profitable investment, at least not until the Pre 3.

Also - I think that too many people are thinking of the Pre 2 as needing to "dethrone" the iPhone or the Evo/Top android device. It doesn't. The OS has so much more potential than I see in other systems. What it does need is some substantial improvements and it needs to be polished. webOS was a new OS when the Pre was announced, but it will be 2 years old (presumably) by the time the Pre 2 hits the market. It should shine.

Sorry, guys, for the big wall of text, my Mom taught me to stretch my money, and I can get a lot for $.02
    I too feel that there needs to be a software update to handle the growing demand that we put on our Pre's everyday. But the last update was March 31st where Palm has been pushing out updates once a month. Something has to be in the works soon for an update or an announcement. But I feel that there #1 priority is going to be a better hardware build. Palm has gotten slammed for having poor quality for hardware but rave reviews for the WebOS. If they can increase the quality of the build, they will have a winner on their hands.

Palm released information 6 months before the Pre and created great 'buzz' in the market. Unfortunately, their marketing department and Sprint did not promote the phone properly which we all know. Leading up to the release though was a great success. Now they just have to find the right stage to introduce it. Even if it is not until 6 months down the road, it will give people some hope to hold on and not dive into the iPhone 4. Look for something from Palm from now until the iPhone release to keep people hanging around WebOS.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    i was just thinkin about it, but lets say that there IS a new webos device coming soon... i think it would be an awesome incentive if they rewarded the people that stuck with webos(early adopters on sprint with the pre), and when the new device was released, u could recieve an EXTRA bonus for trading in a pre. i think that would be sweet for the people that have stuck with sprint through this palm "trial period"...
    As far as leaks go, one thing to keep in mind is that with all of Sprint's faults, they have historically been quite proficient at keeping new upcoming devices under tight wraps. With all the "Supersonic" talk that was bantered around, there were no concrete specs or pics of the EVO leaked right up to the end. Same with the Pre way back when.
    The Saint
    there WILL be leaks. when the first leaks come out we'll be 6 months away from a new phone....

don't start holding your breath.
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast