Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-stateme...make-those-too

Quote Originally Posted by Hp
    When we look at the market, we see an array of interconnected devices, including tablets, printers, and of course, smartphones. We believe webOS can become the backbone for many of HP's small form factor devices, and we expect to expand webOS's footprint beyond just the smartphone market, all while leveraging our financial strength, scale, and global reach to grow in smartphones.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 06/04/2010 at 02:59 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Does anyone think because of this merger and the fact that Palm Pre sales are not doing as good as the rest of the smart phones that Palm is going to discontinue the Pre and is Palm going to fully get absorbed into HP?
    the pre is closing in on its end of life cycle soon anyway, so i would expect that we will see a new model come along, certainly in the next 8 months. will it be the pre2 or some other branded beast to me is irrelevent.

the question for me, an already pre owner is, will they continue to support the pre on further iterations of webOS

for that i believe it is a resounding yes. regardless of what banner the webOS flys under. there isn't much to worry about from a support standpoint.

in fact, this whole HP thing makes it more likely that we see some substantial updates and additions to webOS ion the coming year.

as for the palm name, and absorption. HP made it clear that palm will be operating as a separate division within HP, as that is the way HP works in generall.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    HP made it clear that palm will be operating as a separate division within HP, as that is the way HP works in generall.
    Every report I have read said that Palm will not be in their own division but under the PC division.

"One of the most stunning announcements made by HP is that Palm will be integrated into its personal computers business unit. Palm CEO and former Apple executive Jon Rubinstein is "expected to remain with the company." Interestingly, the HP PC man in charge is Todd Bradley, who was Palm’s CEO from 2003 and 2005. "

HP and Palm: How To Waste a Billion Dollars
    The Pre and Pixi will continue, and Palm will have new models by the end of the year IMHO.

They may not keep the Palm name (they probably will for a while like they did Compaq), but webOS and webOS phones will be around for a long time, and get better over time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They may not keep the Palm name (they probably will for a while like they did Compaq), but webOS and webOS phones will be around for a long time, and get better over time...
    Funny you mention that, Compaq was absorbed all the way back in 2002, but the still the brand exist today (yes, there are Compaq branded computers). If anything some Compaq names took over HP names (e.g. the ProLiant servers). Voodoo PC (high end gaming desktop company bought out by HP) also still exist today.

So there might be chance the Palm name will survive...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    They just announced that they are retiring the Compaq brand, as well as a few others...

http://www.techday.co.nz/thechannel/...hake-up/16531/
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/04/2010 at 04:10 PM.
    glad to see webOS will still be around, still hoping for an updated, improved version of the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Every report I have read said that Palm will not be in their own division but under the PC division.

"One of the most stunning announcements made by HP is that Palm will be integrated into its personal computers business unit. Palm CEO and former Apple executive Jon Rubinstein is "expected to remain with the company." Interestingly, the HP PC man in charge is Todd Bradley, who was Palm’s CEO from 2003 and 2005. "

This guy has no idea about the smartphone market. I don't if it will be under the PC division, and if "the PC division" is in fact a Consumer Electronics Division, but this guy has no idea.
    They just announced that they are retiring the Compaq brand, as well as a few others...

Database Error
    HP is introducing new products in Spain as Compaq. Maybe that's just a in country market decission.
    they havent implemented it yet. That article ling is brand new
    just some filler cause i double posted

http://www.nataliedee.com/012908/sel...is-awesome.jpg
    Last edited by windzilla; 06/05/2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: double post see below
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

according Mr Bradley's conference call on the day of the announcement, which to my knowledge is the most official word to stockholders and investors to-date.

we intend to operate it as a business unit
    by Dieter at Wed Apr 28 2010 17:20:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
    in line with how we're structured today. Jon Rubinstein is very excited
    by Dieter at Wed Apr 28 2010 17:20:34 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

this is from the live blog, so it has whatever journalistic liberties Mr Bohn found necessary to report this in a timely fashion.

also

http://www.precentral.net/palm-opera...unit-within-hp

I have learned of the year to trust pre-central above and beyond any other tech news site (possible exception to engadget, but they are always in-line with precentral anyway) when it comes to palm related news.

similarly i would trust a respected forum member for information and predictions sooner than i would some analysts.
    There are four lights.
    Another report which has a few more details about Mr. Bradley's conference call also goes into more detail on the fate of Palm's R&D team and sounded a bit ominous.
    From all the various reports that are out on the web that I have seen, we don't have anything to worry about with WebOS phones going anywhere and I am glad to see this.
    android is doing its thing and iphone 4 is on the way. WebOS must hurry IMHO. WebOS has not caught on and will only go backwards as many have jumped ship and many will continue to do so. The new webOS phone has to do what other phones can do. I can't imagine what more a phone can do than what Evo does... maybe Steve will tell me tomorrow.
    With webOS expanding to more of HP's future devices, I feel the future looks bright for smartphones coming down the pipe from HP/Palm. With millions of more devices running webOS software it will mean that many more applications will be developed/ported for webOS devices.

There has been a lot of wild speculation (good and bad) on what the future holds for Palm with the recent buyout offer from HP and it will be interesting to see what HP has to say after the purchase has been finalized next month.
    When you do stupid **** like GM, make crap, and throw different badges on that same crap this is what happens...
    I can't imagine the posibiltiies; other then being able to intergrate printing capabilities through connected devices. But I don't need to be running Paratropper on my printer. If HP pushes other devices before smart phones, connected or not. I don't think developers will flock to this OS. I have a printer below my desk right now, it barely even does its main action of printing.

You need to go where the market is with somthing like this. By all means make a new one, but do it while doing whats currently right.

iPhone became massive with APPS becuase it was in everyone's hands. Andriod likewise. webOS needs to be on a smartphone, and needs to be kept up to date. Andriod is doing what apple has done but at a much quicker pace. You see TV's that will be built with Andriod on it.

I can only see fragmentation becoming a issue when HP puts webOS on other platforms. A Tablet would be a nice way to show off what webOS can do. But deep down, we all still want it on our smart phones, in our hand.

If HP/Palm, does not do somthing quickly before the end of this year (upincoming smartphone) I forsee a great os that gets barely developed on.

Just my thoughts. Obviously we all have our ideas.
    I havent watched the video ( cant at work ) so if someone wants to give a summary . The Street did a quick analysis of this . Curious what there opinion is .
    Will We See Another Palm Phone?
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/14/2010 at 11:47 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast