Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    (maybe "worry" is the wrong term, I admit it)

I've got my Pre at launch and have been very happy with it (even though it could've been faster, for sure, used a better quality manufacturer, larger screen... but hopefully that will be on the next one), and it actually chugged along just fine until 2 weeks ago, when I had it replaced at the store for another one.

With the EVO's release (yeah... I'm getting one, though I've told myself I'd only keep it for 30 days. We'll see how that goes), I'm wondering when the first leaks/rumors of the next webOS smartphone will start to trinkle out.

I realize there's a lot of talk about a webOS tablet, specially with HPs pending acquisition of Palm. But Rubenstein had already mentioned that Palm had great products in its pipeline, and that it'd be business as usual, HP merger or not.

With that said, does anyone remember when the first rumors of the Pre started to become public, prior to its announcement in January 2009?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Although I do agree a (staged) leak of a new webOS phone wouldn't harm at all, it doesn't worry me (yet). The Pre has been kept secret until CES as well.
  3.    #3  
    True, I really don't recall any leaks right up until its announcement at CES.

Still, it would behoove Palm, if they indeed have a solid pipeline, to start a control leakage of its next phone.
    Nope. No worry. I wish Palm would leak stuff because nature doesn't tolerate a vacuum. In the absence of information, people fill in the vacuum with their worst fears. Case in point was the whack-a-mole game of threads and posts about what they thought HP's CEO meant about his plans for Palm.

Years ago Microsoft learned the value of freezing markets and motivating users through leaks, pre-announcements, and selling "slideware". For example, i believe that Sprint will get the Pre+, IMHO. If that got any sort of leaked validation, it would probably motivate many early Pre adopters to wait for it rather than buy the EVO or other Droid-o-the-month that is shiny. They could freeze a big chunk of that migration by signaling what I believe is inevitable.
    It seems as though Palm is in a Holding Pattern until the end of July when the merger goes through. Which is extremely unfortunate to those of us looking to plan for our next phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    For example, i believe that Sprint will get the Pre+, IMHO. If that got any sort of leaked validation, it would probably motivate many early Pre adopters to wait for it rather than buy the EVO or other Droid-o-the-month that is shiny. They could freeze a big chunk of that migration by signaling what I believe is inevitable.
    I believe that is true, but it really depends upon who the "they" is in your last sentence.

If "they" is Sprint -- then "they" would not want to leak that the Pre+ is coming, because they want every single Pre owner to switch to the EVO because they get an extra $10 a month out of them for 4G (which very few will exploit).

If "they" is Palm -- then "they" definitely want this out there to do exactly what you say - stop people from jumping to the EVO.

The bottom line is that it is probably Sprint that is control of this and forcing Palm to keep their mouths shut (if indeed Sprint is going to move to the plus models).
    Yes
    I'm waiting until my birthday in September to see what phone I'm getting next. I like WebOS but unless HPalm has something new ready by then I'll probably make the switch to Android.
    However the Pre+ doesn't seem to be a compelling enough reason for Sprint Pre users to spend any green to upgrade. I certainly wouldn't as the delta between the two isn't great. As for EVO, I'm interested, but going to sit on the fence for a while as I'm fairly happy with my current Pre.
    It doesn't worry me... I am eligible for an upgrade now, but am quite happy with my Pre and there is nothing available that I would want more right now.

If something comes out that I want more than my Pre and there is still no news about a new WebOS device then I will worry about changing. As it stands right now, Sprint doesn't offer ANY device - or have any in the pipeline - that I would rather have than my Pre.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    this reminds me the between VHS and Beta. Beta was better but VHS Won cause it was more popular. I wonder if HP will license WEBOS to other makers like HTC.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I believe there was a thread where someone who works at Sprint Corp. said there is a new Palm phone on campus being tested.
    Wow...there are people who'd drop another $199 for 8GB of storage and less "Too Many Cards" errors? Palm must have some dedicated fans for real. Maybe the Pre ++ can add artist backs like Pixi and another 8GB.

This generation of WebOS phones - Pre and Pixi - is done no matter how many plus or minus symbols Palm adds to it. I'm pretty sure HP/Palm realizes it, and when the merger is finished, they'll get to putting out some sort of info. When? Whenever they get around to it. HP is not focused on the smartphone business. Just another device to put WebOS on that isn't particularly difficult to make, right?
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I really would like to see some info on a new device ASAP. I understand Palm not wanting to "poison the well" what with the Pre/Pixi dropping on AT&T, but HP is already doing a good job killing off potential buyers.

Sprint contracts are coming up for renewal and Palm is going to lose many folks to the Android camp for waiting this long. Sad, but when it comes down to it it is marketing 101...
    I said this in another thread, but i'll say it here too since it's still relevant:

[begin copy/paste] It doesn't affect me personally, because i don't have brand loyalty anymore.
    That went out the door when i realized what little pawns in the game we really all are.
    When i'm ready to get a new phone, i'll choose whichever one i like best at that time. (I will always be with Sprint though.)
    I wish the big companies would have at least just a fraction of heart to you loyal diehards, but in the end, you know this (and everything else in this world) revolves around $cash$. [end copy/paste]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I believe that is true, but it really depends upon who the "they" is in your last sentence.

If "they" is Sprint -- then "they" would not want to leak that the Pre+ is coming, because they want every single Pre owner to switch to the EVO because they get an extra $10 a month out of them for 4G (which very few will exploit).

If "they" is Palm -- then "they" definitely want this out there to do exactly what you say - stop people from jumping to the EVO.

The bottom line is that it is probably Sprint that is control of this and forcing Palm to keep their mouths shut (if indeed Sprint is going to move to the plus models).
    In this case, "they" was referring to Palm. You are correct that Sprint doesn't have a vested interest in which phone they buy, as long as it comes from Sprint... And EVO is their new flagship phone for the reasons you stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It seems as though Palm is in a Holding Pattern until the end of July when the merger goes through. Which is extremely unfortunate to those of us looking to plan for our next phones.
    I think that's probably right. They can't say anything, because they can't promise anything until after the merger, since it will be HP's decision to continue with any existing projects. And HP can't say anything because it doesn't control Palm now, and can't interfere in existing projects. So they are stuck.

Maybe there is a way for them to mutually agree that a project will continue after the merger and to announce it, with an availability date. If so, they ought to do that soon. I am not getting an Evo, but I am getting one for my son as a graduation present, and I will have a chance to play with it to compare the two. I hope that Palm can announce something in July and hopefully, what they announce won't be too far away from production.
    I actually think that the spread of information for the original Pre so far in advance at CES was one of the reasons it flopped. In the 6 months that the phone was known about, other OEMs moved forward with their designs and features so the Pre looked kinda dated by the time it came out.

If you remember the launch of the original iPhone (sorry to compare, but it is apropo) was a big surprise. Some folk expected it, but not many and they damn sure didn't expect the form it took.

People were surprised and intrigued, just like they were with the Pre at CES.

I frankly hope to hear about the next WebOS device in grand fashion at a prominent event about a month away from whenever it happens to launch.

nb
    From a Sprint perspective, they don't 'want' a strong, hi-impact EVO release, they 'need' one. I cannot imagine them muddying the waters with their plans for the next Palm. I think they should ride the EVO wave for 30 days or so, and then hit with the double-punch of the next Pre phone(s), which would likely be the Plus. There is no reason they couldn't release the next gen Pre later this year (like the popular Thanksgiving timeframe).

I'm still diggin' my Pre from January and am not impatient in the slightest. I still don't see anything out there that's all that compelling!
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    If they released another webos phone tomorrow I wouldn't get it. The Pre is working just fine and dropping another $200 for a phone isn't on my top priority list.
    +1. I suspect I'm in the minority here in thinking that the Pre and Pixi (at least the Plus versions) are still holding up pretty well after a year. I'm still happy with my 1 yr old Pre and don't expect to replace it any time soon. Sure, there's always new-gadget-lust for the latest and greatest, but I think that's more true in this type of forum than for the general consumer.

But, Palm/HP does need to have a new device soon if they expect to keep pace. The EVO is out now, the new iPhone is on it's way, and those both make the Pre seem old. Although it is interesting how many latest/greatest devices have failed to live up to their promise ... the original Droid, the Nexus, even the 3GS ... these aren't the "killers" that everyone thought they would be.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast