Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What I'd like to see from HP's purchase of Palm is a whole family of webOS devices, including both SmartPhones and Tablets. Ideally they would fix the quality control issues that have plagued Palm in the last year and update the hardware. This should go without saying along with the fact that they need to be using the fastest mobile processors available. But I'm more interested in the form factors. Palm shouldn't be building "me too" devices that rip-off the iPhone but they also should not ignore what people are using.

Phones, the Pre and Pixi are a good start for Palm. They basically need to continue refining webOS to take full advantage of the phones' existing hardware like the GPU and beef up the PIMs in order to remain competitive. These phones should have enough RAM and a sufficiently efficient webOS to make the dreaded "Too Many Cards" error non-existant.
    • Low-end model - basically the Pixi form factor: A simple, candy bar device with a small 400x320 screen and good keyboard. 8-16GB of storage. Should ideally be free with a contract and no more than $200 without. Hell, Palm should give away unlocked GSM versions of these devices to dev-camp attendees.
    • Mid-range model - basically the Pre form factor: A small slider device with a 480x320 screen and an improved keyboard. The Pre Plus is basically there for Palm right now. They just need to get it out to all carriers - Sprint I'm looking at you. Palm might want to increase the curve of the "smile" on their keyboard in order make the keys slightly bigger and clickier. 16-32GB of storage. $100 with a contract.
    • High-end landscape slider: Basically a competitor for the Droid with a better keyboard. 640x480 screen, %50 more battery capacity than lower end models, 32-64GB of storage, and expansion and back up via SDHC cards. $200 with contract.
    • High-end keyboardless slate: An iPhone competitor with the same specs as the high-end slider but with a virtual rather than a physical keyboard. Should be as thin and light as possible and if that means a non-removable battery, so be it.

Tablets, one of the first things I notice when I play with an iPad is that it is heavier than what I'd expect given its size. I get tired of holding it after a few minutes. This suggests that this is not a one-size fits all device category.
    • 4-4.5 inch slate: Basically a modernized PDA and an iPod Touch competitor. With wifi and an optional 3G connection. 640x480 screen. 8-16GB of storage with SD or SDHC expansion. $200 with an optional 3G contract. Like the low-end phone, this device would also make an excellent developer device.
    • Seven inch slate: A 'tweener device, lighter and more portable than a full-blown tablet. 960x640 screen. 16-32GB with SD or SDHC expansion. $300 with an optional 3G contract.
    • Ten inch slate: A direct competitor to the iPad. 1024x768 screen. 32-64GB with SD or SDHC expansion. USB and micro-USB ports. $400 with an optional 3G contract.
    • Convertible ten inch slate: Basically a netbook with a screen that flips over to cover up the keyboard as with HP's TouchSmart series of laptops only much lighter - no more than 2.5 pounds. 1024x600 screen with a full complement of traditional PC ports. $500 with an optional 3G contract.
    Last edited by DarthRepublican; 06/03/2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Removed following line: Given the HP CEO's announcement that they are not interested in the SmartPhone market, this post m...
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Where do I sign?

Great ideas, I hope someone is reading.
    @OP, your first statement is terrible. At no point did the CEO say they don't care about smart phones. What was the objective you had in mind?
    OP... I agree with cantaffordit... you are basing your statement on a misinterpreted quote by the HP CEO. Wait a day or two and you will see him issue a clarification, I'm sure.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @OP, your first statement is terrible. At no point did the CEO say they don't care about smart phones. What was the objective you had in mind?
    Terrible perhaps but I'm not sure that it is completely implausible. 'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business' is not exactly a reassuring thing to say to the users of a smartphone which is made by a company which has just been bought out by your company.

I think that my objective was fairly straightforward. I wanted to express my feelings of the direction that Palm should take now that it is owned by HP. But before posting this, the news of the Mark Hurd quote broke and I felt that I needed to acknowledge it in some way. To not do so would make a post like this one feel pollyannaish.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Terrible perhaps but I'm not sure that it is completely implausible. 'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business' is not exactly a reassuring thing to say to the users of a smartphone which is made by a company which has just been bought out by your company.

I think that my objective was fairly straightforward. I wanted to express my feelings of the direction that Palm should take now that it is owned by HP. But before posting this, the news of the Mark Hurd quote broke and I felt that I needed to acknowledge it in some way. To not do so would make a post like this one feel pollyannaish.
    I don't think it's responsible to make sensational and provocative posts based on something that is "completely plausible" to you... The place to "express your feelings" is in an e-mail to HP, or a phone call. Sorry, but I think this was not right.
    Faith is the substance of things hope for,and evidence of things not seen. I believe
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OP... I agree with cantaffordit... you are basing your statement on a misinterpreted quote by the HP CEO. Wait a day or two and you will see him issue a clarification, I'm sure.
    Please merge this thread somewhere. This is crazy.
    **Guys (and Ladies)... Please stay on topic in the thread. This is about future devices, NOT the HP issue. If you would like to post about that, we have a thread you can contribute towards. Thanks
  10.    #10  
    I'd just like to point out that it was never my intent to create yet another doom and gloom thread. I sincerely wanted to generate some discussion on what sort of future devices I want see coming from Palm.
    I'd just like to point out that it was never my intent to create yet another doom and gloom thread. I sincerely wanted to generate some discussion on what sort of future devices I want see coming from Palm.
    You might have better luck if you edit out your opening line. IMHO
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You might have better luck if you edit out your opening line. IMHO
    Done.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

The only thing that I think is missing, is a highend smartphone with a portrait slider in a pre like form factor along with the landscape one. I don't want a larger phone, I just want more power(omap4, tegra2 and if I have to I'll take the slapdragon) and storage. Higher res screen wouldn't hurt either.
    Very good product roadmap. {Jonathan}
    I think the high-end device resolution you mention (640x480) is too low - Palm should match Apple's resolution to ensure that games ported via PDK work on the new phone too!!!

Rest all looks good. The Pre Plus is already on its way to become the low-mid end product (Pixi needs to go).

I can think of one more form factor that would rock: The Pixi on steroids: larger screen, better processor, more memory, more storage. The Treo 1000 (or Treo 1?)!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post

The only thing that I think is missing, is a highend smartphone with a portrait slider in a pre like form factor along with the landscape one. I don't want a larger phone, I just want more power(omap4, tegra2 and if I have to I'll take the slapdragon) and storage. Higher res screen wouldn't hurt either.
    My thinking is that the reason that a portrait slider like the Pre is more about one-handed usage rather than it is about pure performance. So I think that a typical user (and let's face it, most of us on this forum are not exactly typical) would gladly trade the latest processor for a smaller, phone with a longer battery life. Any next-gen phone will get a faster processor and future versions of webOS will use existing hardware more efficiently. The most prominent example of this is the still unused GPU in the Pre and Pixi. Once Palm enables it, it should provide a noticeable performance boost for both existing and future phones.
    My thinking is that the reason that a portrait slider like the Pre is more about one-handed usage rather than it is about pure performance. So I think that a typical user (and let's face it, most of us on this forum are not exactly typical) would gladly trade the latest processor for a smaller, phone with a longer battery life. Any next-gen phone will get a faster processor and future versions of webOS will use existing hardware more efficiently. The most prominent example of this is the still unused GPU in the Pre and Pixi. Once Palm enables it, it should provide a noticeable performance boost for both existing and future phones.
    exactly, and that was the idea of having a portrait slider as apposed to a landscape one. Though I think they need to just make a landscape slider, and apply and very strong virtual keyboard for portrait use. Ala a htc pro 2 type device giving users the ability to type with one hand on the go, and if they need to mash out a long email or text they can use a full landscape keyboard. Also I believe keeping the device on the smaller end and stretch the screen realestate (as the iphone will be doing going to 3.7 inchs but actully smaller then the current iphone in terms of length) giving it a high resolution screen, high processor, and a strong GPU chip thats enabled completly. This will already catapult the WebOs device to the top, having the only negatives from others that didnt buy a pre or pixi being the design not the OS.
    I lose my head phone all the time

- have blue tooth dock/charger integral to phone -
    - have pad/slate/tablet shell with integral phone dock - phone slips in just like a hard drive on the Ibm/lenova's - its guts power the tablet. tablet has power supply, ram and graphics chip
    - foldover removable key board.

You have what you want - when you want it. Make it all standardized and module, plug and play. Upgrades easy.

... "Neo, the Borg are coming ..."
    @ OP good post...you've got some great ideas going there. I like the idea of tiered phone models...entry level, mid-range, high-end. Let's hope HP/Palm can deliver phones with some semblance to what users want.
    I like where the OP is going. I would take it a step further to something that seems much more possible now that HP has palm. Its called the "Customize & Buy" button that HP puts by all of thier computers.

Everyone has a different idea of the "perfect" phone, and this is becoming more and more clear with the advent of "extreme" options on new phones. This would allow people to pick the phone they want from certain base models and add the options you want just like you would a laptop.

I think this is probably quite a ways off yet (years atleast), but as smartphones begin to mature there will be more processor, memory, screen, camera, and keyboard options. With the connections of HP, I feel that this is closer to reality now than ever before.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast