1.    #1  
    according to the news on the front page, i can now flash OS 4 backed up from another device onto the treo using jackflash? ? ?

hmm...

Interesting.

What about the phone capabilities? wont those go away?
    NO you CANNOT!

Brayder Products are ONLY made to flash programs, and the specific ROM backup for hte device. No other ROM backups will work, than the ones made for your device.

If you were to Flash OS 4, you would lose all Celluar funcitons most likely, or just cause your Treo to be dead. Note that the Handspring FAQ cearly states that Flashing is NOT for OS's!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  3.    #3  
    in respect to the way handspring has designed their hardware and OS ... [noted]

I was able to flash a Clie 710c with a 760c ROM with no problems. i suppose thats because the 710c and the 760c are in reality the same with different numbers.

I understand what your saying though. i am not insisting that it should be possible.

Handspring should release an upgrade to the OS since we have flash working ...

Just my .08 cents.
    What's the difference between 3.5 and 4.x? I thought it only added memory card support. If there's no other added features then I don't want Handspring spending their time and money just so that we can have an OS4 T270. We're still waiting for GPRS update and some bugs to be fixed.
    There is no reason to have Palm OS 4.x unless you have a hardware SD slot. The other differences are hardly worthy of mention.

Now that Palm OS 5.0 is on the horizon running on another chipset other than the Motorola DragonBall EZ/VZ, the party is over regarding updates. Palm has started to charge anyhow and I suspect their uptake on Palm OS 4.0 was pretty low from the Palm V folks. Many of Palms handhelds have masked ROM these days too - all the M100, 125 and IIIes. Even Palm are not to worried about OS updates.

The only annoyance I have with Palm OS developers is that they sometimes upgrade their development environment to use Palm OS 4.0 libraries. This excludes them from the majority of us who are on Palm OS 3.5 and earlier. That is their loss until they get the picture and make their apps compatible with OS 3.1 and OS 3.5. This seems to represent a tiny fraction of apps though. Some Palm OS 3.5 only apps take advantage of new TCP/IP stack capabilities in Palm OS 3.3 and greater so the developers may not be able to go back easily for these Internet apps. In that case, its time to upgrade your PDA.
    Originally posted by meta_dave

The only annoyance I have with Palm OS developers is that they sometimes upgrade their development environment to use Palm OS 4.0 libraries. This excludes them from the majority of us who are on Palm OS 3.5 and earlier.
    No, that's not correct. You can build apps with SDK 4.0 or even 5.0 that will run comfortably on even the original Pilot, in fact Palm recomments to always use the latest SDK. The problem only arises when the dev'rs use API calls which did not yet exist in the old OSes, but than it is meant to be that way since the documentation clearly states since when a particular trap is supported.