Hi everyone. I am an old Palm user, from the Palm III days. I had many Palm devices over the years and became quite knowledgeable on the platform. I even made a small program for it. However, as many others became dissatisfied with the choices that Palm made and moved on to other devices. But no, not to a Microsoft OS, NEVER!!!

Any way, I just wanted to share something really neat that I just discovered. It may be that many of you already know about this development, but I just learned that the old Garnet OS is still available. And it is available on a device with incredible power and potential. It may not be exactly what you think of at first, but for me it is the best solution I could possibly dream of in order to be able to use my old Palm programs and data. I can't yest post a link here, but just Google for: "A heaven for former Palm users".
    really? It's kinda like dial phones, film cameras, jukeboxes, player pianos and big-heavy cars. (phone inside a box with rotary dial, Canon A2E, Seegerg 1956, Aeolian 1912, Lincoln Continental 64' Convertable with Suicide doors.)
    I have them all, I love looking back at them, I love playing with them once in a while.
    But don't have a lot of use for them every day. But if your in the market for old Palm Devices, I have several I can sell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    really? It's kinda like dial phones, film cameras, jukeboxes, player pianos and big-heavy cars. (phone inside a box with rotary dial, Canon A2E, Seegerg 1956, Aeolian 1912, Lincoln Continental 64' Convertable with Suicide doors.)
    I have them all, I love looking back at them, I love playing with them once in a while.
    But don't have a lot of use for them every day. But if your in the market for old Palm Devices, I have several I can sell you.
    Ha, ha. I know what you mean, but if you find the article I mention above you'll see what I mean. Hint, it is not due to nostalgia that I am exited. I have seen the future and the past and I want the best of both.
    An Aliens Viewpoint

A heaven for former Palm users May 31, 2010
    Posted by rm42 in Computers, Gadgets, Linux.
    trackback

Exactly one year ago I wrote about my dissatisfaction with my old Palm TX. I had nothing negative to say about its software. Not that it was perfect, but for my needs it would have sufficed. However, the quality of its hardware was a disgrace. That is much more evident for me now that I have been using the Nokia N900 for several months. The Nokia N900 has a resistive type screen, just as the Palm TX did, but the difference in quality is like night and day. But any way, the purpose of this post is not to list the many ways in which my N900 is better than my old Palm TX. Today I am writing to tell you that you can now actually use your old Palm programs and your old Palm data on the Nokia N900. How is that possible? Well, we owe this privilege to a small company called Access.

Access has produced a product called Garnet VM. As its name implies, this is a virtualized instance of a fully functional Garnet OS, that is, Palm’s traditional 90′s and early 2000′s OS, that runs on Nokia’s Maemo devices, like the N900. Now, you may wonder, how can this company do that? Aren’t they afraid of being sued by Palm? Well, it turns out that Access is the actual current owner of that OS. So, they have every right to release this product and do whatever they want with the OS’s code.

So, how well does it work? Well, at the moment Garnet VM is still in the Beta testing period. The latest beta is available as a free download that will cease to function in November. Of course, by then there will either be a new beta available or, more likely, a finished product to purchase. But, you know what, I am ready to buy it right now. In spite of only being a beta product, it already works extremely well. I have only started playing with it a couple of days ago, but I have already verified that some of my old favorite Palm programs work as expected.
    GarnetVM Screenshot

GarnetVM Screenshot

So, there you go who needs Palm any more?
    Ok, I stand corrected, kinda cool does that mean my old ThinkOutside foldable keyboard will work with it?
    Ok, I stand corrected, kinda cool does that mean my old ThinkOutside foldable keyboard will work with it?
    Is it one the infrared ones? If so, then all that may be needed is for somene to write a driver for it. The N900 has an IR port.
    nah it's bluetooth..
    nah it's bluetooth..
    It has bluetooth as well. And while I'm here, let me tell you, don't think that because it is in virtual machire the performance suffers. Garnet VM on the N900 flies! Graffity works very well. They wisely decided to go with version 1 of graffity (I always hated version 2). And it is able to make use of the SD card, the whole 16 GB I have of it. It is a sweet thing.
    uhm. isnt that what classic does on webos? or am i missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by ho0lee0h View Post
    It may be. I haven't read much about webos since I pretty much gave up on Palm hardware wise. So, I don't know the details. But this article seems to imply it may be:

Oops, still can't post links. Well just do a Google search for: "Welcome Palm Web OS, now what happens with Palm OS 5 applications"

The comments on that article are very interesting.
    I just busted out my Polaroid camera to take a picture of that screen shot. No one will ever believe me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    I just busted out my Polaroid camera to take a picture of that screen shot. No one will ever believe me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ho0lee0h View Post
    The more I use Classic, the more I prefer native webOS apps to the older Palm OS.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    The more I use Classic, the more I prefer native webOS apps to the older Palm OS.
    Sure, but does WebOS have a good replacement for Smart Lists To Go? That was one of my most important programs on the Palm. And I think it is one the best programs ever conceived on any OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
    Sure, but does WebOS have a good replacement for Smart Lists To Go? That was one of my most important programs on the Palm. And I think it is one the best programs ever conceived on any OS.
    Although I don't use that particular app, I concur that there are "classic" apps that I still use and that's why I have Classic.

But still, every time I use Classic for anything, I find myself missing the webOS features I've grown used to (scrolling, for example) and really wishing that whatever app I'm using had a webOS version.

Wishful thinking, I know... :sigh:

(PS, what does "Smart Lists To Go" do?)
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(PS, what does "Smart Lists To Go" do?)
    Smart Lists to Go (formerly known as ThinkDB until purchased by Dataviz) is an incredibly smart application. It is a relational database creator with a GUI. You create a database, create what fields you want and choose the type of fields they are, then place them on the form where you want them to appear in however many tabs you desire, all through a very simple GUI. There is nothing like it on any other mobile device that I have seen. Even on the desktop, a program that made creating databases this easily this would be amazing. I have created some very useful databases using this program. I have been trying to make do with OpenOffice spreadsheets since I moved to the N900 which is definitely a big step down. So, I am very happy to have this program back, along with some others that I really, really missed.
    That sounds like a really cool app - does the developer show any interest in making a webOS version?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

That sounds like a really cool app - does the developer show any interest in making a webOS version?
    Unfortunately, I think they only have it available for Blackberry, PalmOS, and Windows Mobile.