Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A user (oneAwake) at androidcentral.com make this comment.

" *

I see quite a few folks who are current Pre owners, I am as well. The sad news is, HP will not be developing new Palm WebOS devices, HP wanted WebOS for furture HP devices. I have learned the future development on the Pre has ceased. Case in point, there is a new version of Sprint Navigator (2.8) which has been available for several weeks, that should be the easiest app to update on the Pre. Where is Adobe Flash? We were promised flash 2ndQ of this year! It appears Palm was jockeying to be bought all along. WebOS just bought Palm additional time.
    Spam
    Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up

By oneAwake on Mon, 05/31/2010 - 00:08

>I have learned the future development on the Pre has ceased

Um, you better site your sources if you are prepared to make such as statement. I doubt development of WebOS devices has "ceased". It will probably be delayed some with this HP buyout, but I don't think it will "cease".
    Spam
    Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up

By crxssi on Mon, 05/31/2010 - 07:41

You're correct, future development for "WebOS" devices will continue. Development for "Palm WebOS" devices will cease. I have a brother in-law who works in Business Solutions for Palm, Palm are putting together severance packages. Some Palm employees will be retained during the transition, some will be moved over to HP's new WebOS development division. HP have no interest in carrying the Palm name, HP will hold every patent Palm created.

"
    IS THIS TRUE? CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS INFO?
    Just do search for this type of information in the forums.

Palm is waiting on Adobe for Flash and is not in control of its release.

HP has already gone on record (more than once) that WebOS development for phones is continuing. Yes, they will also use WebOS for future HP products but the smartphone business unit is still business as usual as per Jon Rubenstein, who will remain head of the Palm division of HP.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, Palm, Inc. as a company will not exist beyond next month. PALM (the stock) will cease to exist. Whether "Palm" will exist as a brand name is anybody's guess. Has anyone bought a Compaq lately?

My guess is that the Palm name has been tarnished, somewhat, over the past several years so that the reaction from the average consumer is pretty much neutral.

The patents will be purchased by HP along with other Palm assets.

If HP valued Palm as an independent company, all they would have to do would be to buy enough stock to have a majority stake at about half of the cost. But they didn't do that.
    Exactly. This just confirms (?) what a lot of people have been suspecting: The Palm brand name is toast, and HP realizes that and will do away with it.

The confusing thing is the claim that "development for the Pre has ceased." I think what he means is SUPPORT for the Pre will cease to exist. WebOS development will most certainly continue, but probably not in the direction many here hoped.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Everything is pure speculation at this point.
    AS long as the new brand name is catchy, I will like it!

Because inside, for me, its still Palm!
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by wwjd4pk View Post
    A user (oneAwake) at androidcentral.com make this comment.

" *

I see quite a few folks who are current Pre owners, I am as well. The sad news is, HP will not be developing new Palm WebOS devices, HP wanted WebOS for furture HP devices. I have learned the future development on the Pre has ceased. Case in point, there is a new version of Sprint Navigator (2.8) which has been available for several weeks, that should be the easiest app to update on the Pre. Where is Adobe Flash? We were promised flash 2ndQ of this year! It appears Palm was jockeying to be bought all along. WebOS just bought Palm additional time.
    Spam
    Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up

By oneAwake on Mon, 05/31/2010 - 00:08

>I have learned the future development on the Pre has ceased

Um, you better site your sources if you are prepared to make such as statement. I doubt development of WebOS devices has "ceased". It will probably be delayed some with this HP buyout, but I don't think it will "cease".
    Spam
    Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up

By crxssi on Mon, 05/31/2010 - 07:41

You're correct, future development for "WebOS" devices will continue. Development for "Palm WebOS" devices will cease. I have a brother in-law who works in Business Solutions for Palm, Palm are putting together severance packages. Some Palm employees will be retained during the transition, some will be moved over to HP's new WebOS development division. HP have no interest in carrying the Palm name, HP will hold every patent Palm created.

"
    IS THIS TRUE? CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS INFO?
    I was waiting on someone coming up with this dooms-day-note. Until this is confirm by me reading it on the web solely from PH or Palm,I'll rule this as bull crop.
    I totally believe HP is not making phones - they have been very cagey in their responses regarding the future of phones in their business plan, and very specific about their future plans for WebOS.

Why on earth they would build new smart phones after the disappointing (and unprofitable) launch of Pre/Pixi, and in this crowded climate, I don't know. It's terribly expensive for how few they will sell, WebOS (for phones) is far from finished, and has little consumer support, relatively speaking.
    I seriously doubt HP is buying Palm for over a billion to put WebOS on a tablet and printers. I think they are firmly aware of the growth and consumer influence that smartphone devices are having on the market. Buying Palm gives them instant access to that market as well as on OS that can work on a variety of machines that they produce. If anything, I think the smartphone will become an important element of their WebOS ecosystem. Whether or not they use Palm's name is up for deabte but I don't see them not moving on with WebOS phones.

I'm sorry but rumors and claims of sources from internet message boards are always highly suspect in factual content.
    I think they will make a phone eventually but they have said they wanted the operating system. For slates Printers and yes Phones. We just dont know there roadmap yet.
    They have to make more phones with it. HP is gunning for the mobile market in its entirety. They will not sell enough WebOS tablets to make a billion+ dollar purchase worth it. Same with printers.

But that Palm/Pre/Pixi branding is not long for this world, and I say that cannot happen soon enough.
    it's true, my sister-in-law who works as Ruby's private secretary, said HP will not be making webOS phones anymore and all palm webOS phones will stop working on the 4th of july, (centros and treos will still work, emergency calls will still be able to be made.)

She always gives reliable info.

EDIT she also added that Ben and Dion of dev relations ( the guys who came from mozlla) will be leaving.

all the above is a bunch BU******
    Last edited by abegee; 06/01/2010 at 12:22 PM.
    I think its rather amusing that this thread is based upon a member post made by an Android user over in their forums. Three cheers for reliable sources! /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    it's true, my sister-in-law who works as Ruby's private secretary, said HP will not be making webOS phones anymore and all palm webOS phones will stop working on the 4th of july, (centros and treos will still work, emergency calls will still be able to be made.)

She always gives reliable info.

EDIT she also added that Ben and Dion of dev relations ( the guys who came from mozlla) will be leaving.

all the above is a bunch BU******
    well shes either lying to you or a complete ***** pardon my french. You should have questioned that just on the strength of the phones to stop working july 4. What person would believe that, when palm just released the plus version on AT&T and O2, then cut the phones off in two months use your head. Also unless she is one of the developers not a secretary I would take what she says with less then a grain of salt. HP will be supporting phones with the aquistion and these have already been confermed. Forgot these dumb post where people come up with BS. HP is #1 in sales right now, they did not need Web OS if they didnt intend on battling the mobile market. Tablets they would have entered anyway (hence the HP slate they scrapped), and they didnt need Web OS for that. They certainly didnt need a mobile patent portfolio if they were not already in the mobile market before this aquistion. So people use your head stop listening to nonsense, the only Plus for spending 1.2 billion on a MOBILE COMPANY'S OS is to make above other things MOBILE PHONES.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well shes either lying to you or a complete ***** pardon my french. You should have questioned that just on the strength of the phones to stop working july 4. What person would believe that, when palm just released the plus version on AT&T and O2, then cut the phones off in two months use your head. Also unless she is one of the developers not a secretary I would take what she says with less then a grain of salt. HP will be supporting phones with the aquistion and these have already been confermed. Forgot these dumb post where people come up with BS. HP is #1 in sales right now, they did not need Web OS if they didnt intend on battling the mobile market. Tablets they would have entered anyway (hence the HP slate they scrapped), and they didnt need Web OS for that. They certainly didnt need a mobile patent portfolio if they were not already in the mobile market before this aquistion. So people use your head stop listening to nonsense, the only Plus for spending 1.2 billion on a MOBILE COMPANY'S OS is to make above other things MOBILE PHONES.
    If you've misplaced your sarcasm sensor, you can borrow mine.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I'm pretty sure abegee was sarcastically joking in his post. Just making fun of the OP for their source
    lol
    I was talking with the Oracle...no, not the company...THE Oracle...and she said she can't tell us whether the Palm name will continue, or whether it will exist in another reality. But she did say she baked some cookies, and then Agent Smith took them all...not sure what that means, except we don't get cookies...darn that rogue program Smith...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I spoke to Marjorie the Trash Heap oracle yesterday and she says that WebOS is going to be put in internet refrigerators exclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I was talking with the Oracle...no, not the company...THE Oracle...and she said she can't tell us whether the Palm name will continue, or whether it will exist in another reality. But she did say she baked some cookies, and then Agent Smith took them all...not sure what that means, except we don't get cookies...darn that rogue program Smith...
    LMAO...Damn you smith...
    Here's a collection of sources that suggest a new smartphone is coming out soon.

At the bottom of this post, excerpts from a transcript of the conference call Palm and HP had when they announced the deal on April 28th. HP clearly said they want to support smartphones and devices around it for "an entire customer experience." An email from Rubinstein nine days ago (see this thread http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...-may-26-a.html ) says HP and Palm already co-ordinating integration meetings so they can hit the ground running post merger.

HP also notes at the end of the call that synergies do start "in fiscal year 2011", not in calendar year 2011. This means that they could be starting as soon as November, 2010 when the fiscal year begins. Interestingly, when I looked at Palm's financials given to HP and the other bidders, it looked like a new device could have been planned for around Oct/Nov (see this thread http://forums.precentral.net/future-...device-q2.html)

Further proof of that a new smartphone is coming out comes from an Engadget story right after the merger was announced. They say that Rubinstein noted that Palm's current product roadmap will be supported by HP. Rubinstein though, would not confirm to Engadget that the Palm brand will remain. (HP and Palm: what happens next - Engadget)

One interesting comment made during the conference call (see below) is that HP wants to support 1 or 2 major carriers rather than a bunch of small ones. Does this seem like they want to give Palm to 1 or 2 major carriers as a flagship device in the US and 1 or 2 carriers in each major region outside of the US? If so,do you think they would give to Sprint and ATT as Verizon made a mess of the Pre debut?
    Sorry also that the Palm brand name may not remain. I guess that makes sense so they can start the slate clean and brand HP as the competitor to the other big companies Google and Apple. If it doesn't work, they can always bring back the Palm name.

Excerpts from conference call (bold is my formatting)
    FINAL TRANSCRIPT
    Apr. 28. 2010 / 9:00PM, HPQ - Hewlett-Packard to Acquire Palm Conference Call

Todd Bradley - Hewlett-Packard - EVP, Personal Systems Group:
    Please turn to slide five, if you will. This market presents a significant opportunity for profitable growth. The smartphone market alone is over $100 billion and growing over 20%. We see further opportunities beyond smart phones into additional connected mobile form factors. We anticipate that with the webOS we will be able to aggressively deploy an integrated platform that will allow HP to own the entire customer experience, to effectively nurture and grow the developer community, and to provide a rich, valued experience for our customers. With Palm HP acquires a strong operating system to deliver a unique customer experience in applications to over 2000 apps and growing, a platform to deliver mobile cloud-based services, and an opportunity to drive preference in the market among consumers...

Richard Gardner - Citigroup - Analyst
    Well, I guess the big picture question is why acquire your own operating environment as opposed to simply building products based on Android, which seems to have a tremendous amount of momentum in the marketplace and a much bigger development community today?
    And then secondarily, I was hoping you could touch on dilution/accretion from the deal and any cost synergy opportunities.

Jim Burns - Hewlett-Packard - VP, IR
    We are going to be increasing that. We're going to be increasing the sales and marketing also. So we are going to be taking this platform, which today exists in smartphones and taking it much broader than that. We are going to be taking -- putting more money behind the sales and marketing commitment of it, and so we are definitely going to be investing heavily in this business in the next year.

Sharon Rakers - Stifel Nicolaus - Analyst
    I guess first question and a quick follow-up. The first question, I know that you had referenced leveraging your two strategic positions within the carrier market or the service provider market. I think it would be helpful to understand what HP if you could characterize HP's positioning at the carrier level and how you expect to solidify what looks to be some challenges that Palm has had over the last couple of quarters.

Todd Bradley - Hewlett-Packard - EVP, Personal Systems Group
    Well, I think -- let me try this a couple of ways. First, I think it is fair to say that the investments we intend to make in our go-to-market capabilities once we close the transaction will be very important. Our investments we intend to make in building out the application developer capabilities for the platform will be very, very important.
    Today HP provides the infrastructure for, I think, eight of the 10 top carriers in the world. And as we built our plans, our execution plans, we focused on leveraging several large carriers instead of large numbers of small carriers. So we think that leverage and that focus will provide a very significant growth platform for these products as we go forward...

Jim Burns - Hewlett-Packard - VP, IR
    ...The synergies do start kicking in in the first full year of fiscal year 2011.
    Thomson Reuters transcript of full conference call can be found here:
    phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item...t=1
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast