Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I can't picture myself with Android.
    Amen!! My support for HP would most likely almost end if they go down that path...
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I can't picture myself with Android.
    But after this statement, Android is the only choice for me. Blackberry is the only smartphone on Sprint, and I am used to a touchscreen.

I wonder if this negatively affects the stock overnight, will they change their mind (or change his employment status)!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Hes only speaking the company policys , firing him will change nothing. If you have been reading bwtween the lines ( I posted a few of them) you kind of saw this coming. But it sucks to hear it for real.
    i do not get spending 1.2billion on a smartphone company who already has at least a foot in the door...and then dropping out of the market completely...especially the extremely ripe smartphone market.

i guess at this point, we can just hope for 1 more WebOS phone and pray that it does well enough to make Palm reconsider.
    The problem was that the Pre was a faliure ( Selling wise) and Palm was losing money in the phone business and could not even get a foot in with Android , Iphone and RIM. Even Windows Mobile was beating them. I kind of see where HP is coming from. they spent 1.2 Billion for the OS and if you know about Palm they have millions in patents ( alot of money in patents). This buy was a WIN WIN for HP but a LOSE for all us Palm WEB OS fans. HTC would have been the perfect buyer. Oh well . Aidios Palm. Im not a HP guy.
    the only reason people will be compelled to buy all these hp devices that have webos is if they have something in ther pocket to sync with all of it.... I would think that would be a smartphone. what the hell is hp thinking it would be?
    They will sync to a Slate not a smartphone. Actually that makes more sense. But again they are it seems making the PRE PLUS there handheld phone. so they will still support it. Just no new phones that compete with EVos and Iphones etc. Atleast they gave the heads up before the EVO for anyone on the fence. Going to be alot more people on line Friday.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/02/2010 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Here ya go. . Just today Hurd spoke again. HP did not buy Palm to get into the Smartphone business. they purchased the OS. After reading this I can say forget a new phone.

HP CEO Mark Hurd talks datacenters, networking and Palm | ZDNet

The Palm acquisition had nothing to do with being in the smartphone business. Hurd said that the company isn’t going to “spend billions of dollars trying to go into the smartphone business; that doesn’t in any way make any sense.” Hurd added:

We didn’t buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn’t seem to resonate well. We bought it for the IP. T
    he WebOS is one of the two ground-up pieces of software that is built as a web operating environment…We have tens of millions of HP small form factor web-connected devices…Now imagine that being a web-connected environment where now you can get a common look and feel and a common set of services laid against that environment. That is a very value proposition

So sad. Such HP Fail. Stunned.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Straight from the HP CEO..

The Palm acquisition had nothing to do with being in the smartphone business. Hurd said that the company isn’t going to “spend billions of dollars trying to go into the smartphone business; that doesn’t in any way make any sense.” Hurd added:

We didn’t buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn’t seem to resonate well. We bought it for the IP.
    Gee, so how does it feel to all of you that thought that HP would be stupid to spend $1.2 billion on Palm and not bring out a new smart phone?

Seems to me that this is another example of armchair CEOs that think they know better than HP on how to run their business.

For all of you that think that TRUE multitasking is so great, then why doesn't HP think so? Probably because WebOS is not all that and it can't compete with the other phone OSes and not worth spending hundreds of millions to get WebOS up to snuff in the smart phone market and try to compete with the iPhone and Android just to recoup that investment.

But, wow just wow. It's interesting the comments that people make on here like they THINK they really know that HP is going to do this or that.

Well, now that it's been settled...iPhone or Android?
    Really sad news....i'm really crushed
    Yet reminds me another scene from Pirates of Silicon Valley... when Woz brought HP the Apple I: "What on earth would ordinary people want with computers?"
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Well looks like andriod is my next phone. boo. It also looks like i am never buying a HP product again.
    Think of it this way , say there is a restauant that is doing terrible. You buy this restauant . Do you continue selling the same junk that was failing before.You do something different.

Palm was a company in bancrupty with a phone no one wanted. It was losing money. People seem to be acting like Palm was a success like Android or Iphone. The Palm Pre was a absolute utter faliure BUT as we all like to say here WEB OS is awesome. So they are making a great buinesss choice. Use the awesome software for there better selling products and new products ( Printers, slates) instead of dumping millions into a money losing segment the smartphone.The Pre with all the hype when it came out didnt sell. People here are just absolutley forgetting how much money palm lost in the smartphone market. They were about to go out of business. HP does not want to lose money. The Palm Pre was a faliure in the market no matter how much we loved it. Sure alot of us here at Pre Central would have purchased it but the general public spoke and did not like the Pre.Unless cheaply made , HP would probally not have a high selling phone and another money loser. its a great business choice by HP but ofcourse a succky one for us who like WEB OS.
    Please continue the discussion here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...-business.html

Emotions have really ran way over the top on all this speculation.
    Having all these 'what abouts?' spread all over the forums have just turned into too many flame wars. - From both the naysayers, doomsday proclaimers, and optimists & realists. - whomever you consider yourself
    Just call me Berd.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234