Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    HP Did say they are buying the WEB OS and other assets of Palm not to specifically to get into the phone business . WEB OS was the main reason for the purchase. It was money well spent. They did not want to use Windows 7 and it would have cost them as much to create there own operating system. so if they never put out a phone again they still made a great purchase. Rememeber Palm was a money losing phone buisiness so they were not buying the phone business. Its WEB OS they were buying. Thats the true asset of Palm Along with the intelectual property and all the patents. BUT having said that we all know they will put out a phone.

TelecomTV | News | HP says it has big ideas for Palm's webOS

It really has more to do with the intellectual property and the fact that when you look across the HP ecosystem of interconnected devices, it is a large family of devices and, we think, of printers. You’ve now got a whole series of web-connected printers and as they connect to the web you need an OS. We prefer to have that OS, in our case, be our IP where we can control the customer experience,” he said.

Hurd went to particular effort to reiterate that the acquisition was not meant specifically as a smartphone play.

Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    who spends 1.2 billions bucks on a phone company, and not use their resources to make a phone?

this could be a new trend.. Maybe acer will buy nokia to build a meego or symbian powered air conditioner, and scrap everything else.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/01/2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balzak View Post
    Maybe HP will but WebOS on a newly designed Ipaq and try to resurrect that line?
    i say call the line Palm - but not keep Palm as entity or brand

PLUS I THINK THE PILOT IS STILL UNTARNISHED AND IS A GREAT NAME.
    The Palm brand is only slightly tarnished around the edges and could quite easily be polished up by HP if they chose to go that route.
    Didn't the press release and the acquisition conference call say that Palm will remain a separate entity and will be business as usual? Meaning that as of right now any phone development would come out of Palm's R&D directly, which Rubi stated that was where the last of their money was going to.
    HP will not walk away from a market that is growing, and is expected to grow exponentially over the next 10 years, like the smartphone market.

If you really believe that they WOULD, then there is a really famous bridge I'd like to sell to you, cheap!

Top that off with the most widely accepted fact (even by AApple *******) that WebOS is likely the best OS for smartphones out there, and it doesn't take a genius to see what HP is plannng with thier acquisition... they just won't tip off thier competitors by talking about it - they will just do it.

Any/everything else you hear and read is carefully delivered misinformation, IMO; that provides HP with its best position to compete and ultimately succeed in that market.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    i say call the line Palm - but not keep Palm as entity or brand

PLUS I THINK THE PILOT IS STILL UNTARNISHED AND IS A GREAT NAME.
    I agree. However they gave up the pilot name after the Pilot Pen people sued. Maybe HP lawyers would be powerful enough to take it back... I wish they would...
    maybe win win - some sort of settlement, plus isn't having Pilot name out there a good thing for Pilot Pen?
    hmm... Palm Bic and Palm Uni-Ball just don't sound the same. Of course the second one could be taken the wrong way! lol
    back then palm had a stylus and grafitti handwriting recognition, so I guess pilot pens saw that as competition...

I really wish the next phone would be the Palm Pilot... That name just oozes credibility and brand recognition even after all these years.
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    maybe win win - some sort of settlement, plus isn't having Pilot name out there a good thing for Pilot Pen?
    Not if it confuses potential customers enough to distract them from your actual product.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This is not Good
    If I don't get a toaster, I'm flying to CA to burn the place down!
    since webos doesn't use a stylus or graffiti, maybe it would be less of a problem... I would like that, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    HP Did say they are buying the WEB OS and other assets of Palm not to specifically to get into the phone business . WEB OS was the main reason for the purchase. It was money well spent. They did not want to use Windows 7 and it would have cost them as much to create there own operating system. so if they never put out a phone again they still made a great purchase. Rememeber Palm was a money losing phone buisiness so they were not buying the phone business. Its WEB OS they were buying. Thats the true asset of Palm Along with the intelectual property and all the patents. BUT having said that we all know they will put out a phone.

It really has more to do with the intellectual property and the fact that when you look across the HP ecosystem of interconnected devices, it is a large family of devices and, we think, of printers. You’ve now got a whole series of web-connected printers and as they connect to the web you need an OS. We prefer to have that OS, in our case, be our IP where we can control the customer experience,” he said.

Hurd went to particular effort to reiterate that the acquisition was not meant specifically as a smartphone play.

But I also believe in HP deciding to keep Palm's internals with rubestien, they plan on funding Palms internals team for making future mobile smartphone devices. They are vaugue when stating smartphones, (though they did state there will be future smartphones, tablets, and printers just not laptops or netbooks with WebOS) But I believe they are because they plan on letting Rubenstien and his team continue to produce smartphones through HP. The reason why they state they will double down on Palm, not eliminate Palm and have them focus on products they only want to focus on. Think about it, why purchase a Mobile phone company, and a OS if you didnt decide to compete in the mobile business, which as stated above will be the future. They could have easily stayed in the background, and made millions manufacturing tablets, and laptops using windows 7, and android, and keeping those relationships intact completely. These are the question people have to ask themselves, when a company thats at the top in a paticular market make a stab and buy a company only focused on Mobile Phones (Palm). To me its not rocket science in why HP bought Palm, of course to broaded WEBOS on other devices, but to continue to help push WebOS in a cell phone market that is still wide open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    since webos doesn't use a stylus or graffiti, maybe it would be less of a problem... I would like that, for sure.
    Perhaps it is worth a thread - I'm new around here but came aboard the Palm train with the Pilot, then the phone module for the Pilot(cool), Treo 180, 270, 650, Centro, then Palm Pro w a Sprint Pre arriving new from ebay on 6/4.

I thought with hind sight and especially relative to Android that HP PALM really needs to pick some good names. They also most go for the youth market.

My favorite ad - Billboard "bare knuckled bucket of DOES ... DROID" cheesy but I smile just at the outlandishness and brashness of their campaign.

If a vet around here wants to post it up with, gather some names and then put up a poll - might be fun way to pass the time until HP Palm CAN make some announcements.

I wonder if besides not wanting to get drowned in the Apple Evo hype - they are being good card players AND waiting to see what APPLE throws down. If it is more than expected - they can delay C40/whatever or perhaps launch in late July under Palm - and say this is good/ready and we will have some killer ultra killer stuff soon.

PILOT
    ULTRA
    The merger will generate tremendous press and anticipation once its completed, and the first HP-Palm product, if done right, can get a lot of press and mindshare as everyone will be watching...

I say its the perfect opportunity for Palm to go in for the kill - bring out WebOS 1.5 or 2.0, showcase a blockbuster device with better/bigger specs, and let HP showcase a blockbuster tablet - all together - that'll have sites like Engadget/CNET raving about it for days...

Also, love the 'Pilot' name. Wish Palm re-launches it.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post

You left out a pretty important line at the end of that quote. "In addition to the emphasis on printers, he said that the Palm software would be useful to the company in products ranging from smartphones to tablets to notebooks."
    Here ya go. . Just today Hurd spoke again. HP did not buy Palm to get into the Smartphone business. they purchased the OS. After reading this I can say forget a new phone.

HP CEO Mark Hurd talks datacenters, networking and Palm | ZDNet

The Palm acquisition had nothing to do with being in the smartphone business. Hurd said that the company isn’t going to “spend billions of dollars trying to go into the smartphone business; that doesn’t in any way make any sense.” Hurd added:

We didn’t buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn’t seem to resonate well. We bought it for the IP. T
    he WebOS is one of the two ground-up pieces of software that is built as a web operating environment…We have tens of millions of HP small form factor web-connected devices…Now imagine that being a web-connected environment where now you can get a common look and feel and a common set of services laid against that environment. That is a very value proposition
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/02/2010 at 06:54 PM.
    I can't picture myself with Android.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I am going to give it a try this Friday. Never know might like it. I fully expect HP to release a WEB OS 2.0 at some point for the Palm Pres. Im positive they will keep the Palm Pre Plus as there flasgship phone but after that quote I think we can all forget a new phone any time soon. This probally means that the Palm name will be gone soon. That will be a sad they when they announce that.

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I can't picture myself with Android.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast