Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LOL Sarcasm, really causes anger in some..hahaha
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well shes either lying to you or a complete ***** pardon my french. You should have questioned that just on the strength of the phones to stop working july 4. What person would believe that, when palm just released the plus version on AT&T and O2, then cut the phones off in two months use your head. Also unless she is one of the developers not a secretary I would take what she says with less then a grain of salt. HP will be supporting phones with the aquistion and these have already been confermed. Forgot these dumb post where people come up with BS. HP is #1 in sales right now, they did not need Web OS if they didnt intend on battling the mobile market. Tablets they would have entered anyway (hence the HP slate they scrapped), and they didnt need Web OS for that. They certainly didnt need a mobile patent portfolio if they were not already in the mobile market before this aquistion. So people use your head stop listening to nonsense, the only Plus for spending 1.2 billion on a MOBILE COMPANY'S OS is to make above other things MOBILE PHONES.
    sorry you missed the sarcasm, I even hid a secret message which you quoted.
    Quote Originally Posted by joemango View Post
    I spoke to Marjorie the Trash Heap oracle yesterday and she says that WebOS is going to be put in internet refrigerators exclusively.
    I heard that too! Although I hear there's a problem implementing the gesture area with the ice maker. That sounds like a tough obstacle to overcome.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    it's true, my sister-in-law who works as Ruby's private secretary, said HP will not be making webOS phones anymore and all palm webOS phones will stop working on the 4th of july, (centros and treos will still work, emergency calls will still be able to be made.)

She always gives reliable info.

EDIT she also added that Ben and Dion of dev relations ( the guys who came from mozlla) will be leaving.

all the above is a bunch BU******
    Haha! I'm glad to see more people using white text in posts. It makes things more fun And you used it quite well! : thumbsup :
    Darkzone, I love your profile pic. My wife saw it over my shoulder and died for 5 minutes before she could tearfully point it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    LMAO...Damn you smith...
    Maybe it's Agent Smith who is repeatedly interjecting these reports of doom about webOS...that would be just like him.
    It's all plausible - except pre's stoping on 7/4 - that is silly/dumb

bestbuy/shack delelting Palm merchandise is consistent with deleting the brand name ASAP

getting out of the phone software biz is consistent with realizing that rim/apple/android and even windows are too much to overcome.

but seems very dubious to throw down for Palm and plan a 'slate' which is pretty much a giant phone AND then say we don't want to be in the phone biz.

I can see some big house cleaning but unless they want to continue Palm's tradition of making dumb business decisions - I can't see how you get out of the phone business - if you combine phones with the slate and netbooks - they are the mobile computing triumvirate AND dominant growth piece of the market WORLDWIDE.

dudes in Africa or Mongolia may not have a PC but I bet they may have or want a mo phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Darkzone, I love your profile pic. My wife saw it over my shoulder and died for 5 minutes before she could tearfully point it out.
    Thankyou =)
    remember that the worldwide penetration of smartphones is still in. Single digits. That means more than 90% of the opportunity lies ahead. HP did this to leap quicker and farther INTO the market... And Ballmer is now even further behind the curve because of it.

HP made a brilliant move. Ignoring the mobile market would be silly. Remember, they didn't buy compaq to get out of the laptop business...
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    If you've misplaced your sarcasm sensor, you can borrow mine.
    lol thanks lol
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Agreed, the mobile phone market is HUGE, absolutely HUGE. And HP WAS more or less ignoring it, if they want continued growth (and what publicly traded company doesnt?), then they needed to make a play in that space. They had a few options....1. Make Android phones, and compete with Motorola, HTC, Samsung directly 2.Hitch their wagon to Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 3. Make their own OS 4. Buy an OS

I think that buying Palm was their best choice, they risked becoming just another Android phone maker if they went that route, and I have a feeling they learned their lesson about MS's mobile offerings with the old PocketPCs that they used to make. Making their own OS probably wasn't a realistic option, since they'd be so far behind in what is a rapidly expanding and changing market. I really think they did the right thing by buying Palm.

If they DON'T make a smartphone based on WebOS, it'll be a huge mistake, and they'll continue to ignore what is one of the most profitable markets in tech right now.

--Matt
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    LOL The Trash Heap has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by joemango View Post
    I spoke to Marjorie the Trash Heap oracle yesterday and she says that WebOS is going to be put in internet refrigerators exclusively.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwjd4pk View Post
    A user (oneAwake) at androidcentral.com make this comment.

" *

I see quite a few folks who are current Pre owners, I am as well. The sad news is, HP will not be developing new Palm WebOS devices, HP wanted WebOS for furture HP devices. I have learned the future development on the Pre has ceased. Case in point, there is a new version of Sprint Navigator (2.8) which has been available for several weeks, that should be the easiest app to update on the Pre. Where is Adobe Flash? We were promised flash 2ndQ of this year! It appears Palm was jockeying to be bought all along. WebOS just bought Palm additional time.
    Spam
    Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up

By oneAwake on Mon, 05/31/2010 - 00:08

>I have learned the future development on the Pre has ceased

Um, you better site your sources if you are prepared to make such as statement. I doubt development of WebOS devices has "ceased". It will probably be delayed some with this HP buyout, but I don't think it will "cease".
    Spam
    Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up

By crxssi on Mon, 05/31/2010 - 07:41

You're correct, future development for "WebOS" devices will continue. Development for "Palm WebOS" devices will cease. I have a brother in-law who works in Business Solutions for Palm, Palm are putting together severance packages. Some Palm employees will be retained during the transition, some will be moved over to HP's new WebOS development division. HP have no interest in carrying the Palm name, HP will hold every patent Palm created.

"
    IS THIS TRUE? CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS INFO?
    sounds like spreading FUD
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I just got my Palm Pre Plus and I love it, (though was quite torn by Blackberry physical design) After reading so many of these posts about the unforeseen future of Palm smartphones and WebOS support, I am sincerely considering going back and getting a Blackberry. I would really appreciate any honest opinions out there about what I should do.
    who spends 1.2 billions bucks on a phone company, and not use their resources to make a phone?

this could be a new trend.. Maybe acer will buy nokia to build a meego or symbian powered air conditioner, and scrap everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I totally believe HP is not making phones - they have been very cagey in their responses regarding the future of phones in their business plan, and very specific about their future plans for WebOS.

Why on earth they would build new smart phones after the disappointing (and unprofitable) launch of Pre/Pixi, and in this crowded climate, I don't know. It's terribly expensive for how few they will sell, WebOS (for phones) is far from finished, and has little consumer support, relatively speaking.
    Maybe, just maybe, they are being cagey because they don't actually own palm yet, and therefore have no actual roadmap. It's not like they already have a webos phone designed in house yet, as they won't actually be able to do any of that until the purchase is finalized. And as it has been stated earlier in this thread, there is an actual quote from a higher up at HP who stated they plan on keeping palms current roadmap in place, which can't be more than two phones.
    Go to HP's website and search the news releases. There is very few mentions of WebOS and NO mentions of phones.
    The Saint
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Maybe HP will but WebOS on a newly designed Ipaq and try to resurrect that line?
    Quote Originally Posted by xokatwoman View Post
    I just got my Palm Pre Plus and I love it, (though was quite torn by Blackberry physical design) After reading so many of these posts about the unforeseen future of Palm smartphones and WebOS support, I am sincerely considering going back and getting a Blackberry. I would really appreciate any honest opinions out there about what I should do.
    if you like the phone, don't listen to the whining. Even if hp went bankrupt, your phone will still work. People seem to like to post stuff to scare users off. We are becoming the best OR machine for android, which is weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Go to HP's website and search the news releases. There is very few mentions of WebOS and NO mentions of phones.
    They won't own webos until the merger is completed so their comments right now are restricted and are very carefully said.
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/01/2010 at 07:35 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast