Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wouldn't be surprised if on the big day of the next device release we actually see multiple WebOS devices being outed, potentially to be released within very close time ranges.

The big question that Palm has got to answer is what form factor should the next-gen device be - Vertical slider? Horizontal slider? Candybar? Slab? Whichever form factor they choose, they risk alienating some new and current customers alike. The simplest answer would be to announce all of them. Or some of them.

Take Dell's recent announcement of the Smoke, Lightening and Thunder - it promises 'something for everyone'. Even if the devices aren't going to be released simultaneously, the promise of diversity is there.

Hopefully Palm will take a similar approach- What do you think will happen?
    Palm should release two next gen devices simultaneously. One horizontal slider and one vertical slider. it should release with a software version that has better accommodation for landscape orientation, and a software keyboard. the screen size should be such that those who want to use them as a slate device can do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Palm should release two next gen devices simultaneously. One horizontal slider and one vertical slider. it should release with a software version that has better accommodation for landscape orientation, and a software keyboard. the screen size should be such that those who want to use them as a slate device can do so.
    Sliders are too thick. They should release at least one version with no sliding mechanism.
    man I jus want a phone not clocked by defaulty to 500 mhz. Come on palm hurry up
    consumers have spoken - the majority want a slab phone that is thin with a large display. Those that prefer sliders are in the minority. The sales numbers speak for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    consumers have spoken - the majority want a slab phone that is thin with a large display. Those that prefer sliders are in the minority. The sales numbers speak for themselves.
    how did you derive your information. If you look at all the phones in general many phones are not available with a slider. Many basic and most smartphones flip or spin to show a keyboard. A slider is just another way. What you need is to look for a phone that is offered in both slider and not. Now there is the Pre and Pixi but they are still to different and not of the same price point.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    One small problem with that: WebOS is a portrait-oriented operating system, not a true dual-oriented one like iPhone OS or Android. There's no virtual keyboard. These things can be added, but can they be added effectively and efficiently is the question.

I'm inclined to say the answer is "No" with the current WebOS development team at Palm. If they haven't been able to finish WebOS - 18 months after first announcing at last year's CES - then any major features they add are going to be glitchy and half-assed.

Kinda like video recording.
    for what its worth some dude Ajax - on Sprint forums list a bunch of upcoming phones for Sprint including c40 / Pre2 in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    for what its worth some dude Ajax - on Sprint forums list a bunch of upcoming phones for Sprint including c40 / Pre2 in July.
    cool...i think he's been an acurate leak source in the past.
    Damn, can we get a link?
    linky - see post#11
    HTC EVO vs. your 2nd choice phone - SprintUsers.com
    Ajac was the poster.
    linky - see post#11
    Ajac was the poster.
    This - as well as Win7 - is why I am in no rush to get the Evo4G. It appears Sprint is in no rush to promote it either, so I guess it works out for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    One small problem with that: WebOS is a portrait-oriented operating system, not a true dual-oriented one like iPhone OS or Android. There's no virtual keyboard. These things can be added, but can they be added effectively and efficiently is the question.

I'm inclined to say the answer is "No" with the current WebOS development team at Palm. If they haven't been able to finish WebOS - 18 months after first announcing at last year's CES - then any major features they add are going to be glitchy and half-assed.

Kinda like video recording.
    Really though, how hard would it be it make it landscape? There are already patches out there rotating the Messaging app and most 3rd party apps all rotate. Also, if they decide to make a tablet, they can make it like the iPad, where is it supposed to be portrait.
    linky - see post#11
    Ajac was the poster.
    omg. If this is true, I think you ust made my day.
    Samsung galaxy S July-august

to bad the galaxy S is going to ATT....sprint will just get a pre+
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    Samsung galaxy S July-august

to bad the galaxy S is going to ATT....sprint will just get a pre+
    If sprint hasn't gottent the pre+ yet I doubt it's going to
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Really though, how hard would it be it make it landscape? There are already patches out there rotating the Messaging app and most 3rd party apps all rotate. Also, if they decide to make a tablet, they can make it like the iPad, where is it supposed to be portrait.
    "Most"? Really?

On my Pre, none of the toggle apps (e.g. Wifi, Bluetooth) rotate. The main screen orientation doesn't rotate. Several native apps don't. Slacker Radio doesn't rotate. Fandango doesn't rotate. AP doesn't. Engadget doesn't. Where? doesn't. The PHONE APP doesn't even work in landscape.

If it's so easy, then why don't most of the apps - some of which were in the app catalog on day one - work in landscape?

I mean it is an unfinished OS in many areas. This is just one of them.
    @mikah

There is no doubt that webOS is an unfinished OS. That is obvious, especially if HP is serious about using it for tablets. There are definitely a lot of things that need to be added but to think that Palm's current development team couldn't introduce these changes just because they haven't been able to get EVERYTHING done in the last 18 months is expecting way too much from such a small company. Google has had Android out on the market for over 2 years now and I think that Android is less "finished" than webOS is. webOS is much more polished and elegant that Android even though Google is a huge company with unlimited resources at their disposal. In both cases a lot more features need to be added, but to say that you don't expect changes to be made just because Palm couldn't "finish" the OS in 18 months is asking/expecting entirely too much out of a company in the situation Palm has been in over the last few years.

I think that what they have done over these last 18 months has been amazing considering most people declared the company dead over two years ago. Just a thought.
    I don't know about the "majority" wanting a slab. The Droid is the 2nd biggest selling device on the planet with it's physical keyboard.
    I do agree that Palm needs to come back with several different configurations, all of which NEED to have larger screens. Not ridiculous EVO 4G big, but maybe Nexus One sized.
    The Saint
    try again

the majority want a functioning actual keyboard and not some mis-typing on-screen junk keyboard

hence why there are very few phones that are touch only
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    curious where you get this from, just tech users? phone purchases? everyone iv talked to wants a phone WITH a keyboard. I know many people with slab feature phone touch screens who want to trade I for something with a keyboard. I also know many iphone users who would prefer a keyboard also. I think that slab purchases are hiher because that's what there's more of with touchscreens right now. look at most htc android phones, look at all the feature phone touchscreens, the iphone. they are slabs, so the CHOICE for keyboards is less. however most people who type alot prefer a real keyboard. I know no one wo prefers virtual. I do understand there are some who would prefer a vk only phone, however palms position with kb's makes them different then android and especially iphone. I think the vk should be an option on all models and maybe a slab version of a flagship phone, but making a flagship slab would loose many heavy texter/typers. I don't even think the pre's thickness is bad at all. I don't like stuff too thin cus then it feels less comfortable to hold. anyway I d agree that there needs to be more form factors and a varient for you slabers. I just don't want the slab to replace the keyboard versions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast