Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    try again

the majority want a functioning actual keyboard and not some mis-typing on-screen junk keyboard

hence why there are very few phones that are touch only
    Actually the slider only trend is only becoming more popular
    Different strokes for different folks people. I have no concern. I love Virtual keyboard and I like the Actual keyboards. there both good depending on the phone.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I, for one, look forward to the Palm C3P 0. It'll be awesome and incredibly polite.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I would be hard pressed to move to a phone without an actual keyboard. I have tried virtual keyboards and they are not for me.
    If the next Sprint Palm came with only virtual keyboard, I would happily stick with my current Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by BearFace712 View Post
    @mikah

There is no doubt that webOS is an unfinished OS. That is obvious, especially if HP is serious about using it for tablets. There are definitely a lot of things that need to be added but to think that Palm's current development team couldn't introduce these changes just because they haven't been able to get EVERYTHING done in the last 18 months is expecting way too much from such a small company. Google has had Android out on the market for over 2 years now and I think that Android is less "finished" than webOS is. webOS is much more polished and elegant that Android even though Google is a huge company with unlimited resources at their disposal. In both cases a lot more features need to be added, but to say that you don't expect changes to be made just because Palm couldn't "finish" the OS in 18 months is asking/expecting entirely too much out of a company in the situation Palm has been in over the last few years.

I think that what they have done over these last 18 months has been amazing considering most people declared the company dead over two years ago. Just a thought.
    I think WebOS itself is a remarkable achievement, and so do most other people.

But that's not enough. Modern smartphone OSes need to be polished to be competitive. That doesn't mean "features need to be added", but rather the ones that it has need to be fine-tuned and finished. You shouldn't still have context-less, boilerplate menus giving options for "Cut/Copy/Paste" whee there are no input fields whatsoever 18 months later. You shouldn't still have a photo app having to process each picture individually before you can view them as they were taken 18 months later. You shouldn't have video recording still full of glitches and freezes when you waited more than 12 months after the announcement of the OS to actually implement it.

That's not asking too much unless you have lowered the bar to any manufacturer simply providing a bootable proof of concept that doesn't detonate during operation being "an achievement".

We're talking stuff that separates amateur work from professional.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think WebOS itself is a remarkable achievement, and so do most other people.

But that's not enough. Modern smartphone OSes need to be polished to be competitive. That doesn't mean "features need to be added", but rather the ones that it has need to be fine-tuned and finished. You shouldn't still have context-less, boilerplate menus giving options for "Cut/Copy/Paste" whee there are no input fields whatsoever 18 months later. You shouldn't still have a photo app having to process each picture individually before you can view them as they were taken 18 months later. You shouldn't have video recording still full of glitches and freezes when you waited more than 12 months after the announcement of the OS to actually implement it.

That's not asking too much unless you have lowered the bar to any manufacturer simply providing a bootable proof of concept that doesn't detonate during operation being "an achievement".

We're talking stuff that separates amateur work from professional.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I think there's a vast quantity of work going on behind the scenes - it's not like the only thing they worked on this year was video recording and splash screens.

It always takes a little patience when you decide to support a financially challenged and, in the grand scheme of things, pretty unpopular platform.

I have time to wait for Palm - a lot of other people don't, and I don't think it's a bad thing that they go and buy an Evo or whatever. By the time their Evo contract is up another new Palm device will be released with a much more mature operating system for them to enjoy.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The developers may have discovered that the easiest way to fix many of the problem is to rework core elements of the OS, which would eliminate the need to band-aid fix all of these little details that have been bothering people. Programming is an art, and in current culture, too many people feel that art is like throwing some paint at a canvas randomly and then selling it.

WebOS is more of a deliberate effort to make things work "properly", but in the process of trying to perfect the core design, many of the fine details have been left, and THAT is what bothers many consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I think there's a vast quantity of work going on behind the scenes - it's not like the only thing they worked on this year was video recording and splash screens.

It always takes a little patience when you decide to support a financially challenged and, in the grand scheme of things, pretty unpopular platform.

I have time to wait for Palm - a lot of other people don't, and I don't think it's a bad thing that they go and buy an Evo or whatever. By the time their Evo contract is up another new Palm device will be released with a much more mature operating system for them to enjoy.
    But how much time are we supposed to give them for the small things? Nevermind hardware-accelerating the UI or getting a comparable app catalog. Those are big projects, and you definitely have to keep the faith if you decide to sign on to this platform looking for them be fixed.

But if they never polish the basics, what's the point? Ultimately, new features will end up being incomplete and unsatisfactory as well.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12